New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Slave Cylinder Gone Bad

Old 09-16-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder Gone Bad

So I'm pretty sure that I need to replace my slave cylinder. Yesterday I was driving around and the clutch was catching on the floor. I popped my hood and saw that the clutch master cylinder reservior was almost empty. I added fluid and then went to bleed it. I noticed fluid on the slave cylinder: on the hose and the rubber boot. I wiped it off and bled the line. It drives pretty good now, but the pedal has some play up top and I'm sure that it's a slow leak that I need to keep an eye on until I replace it. My driver's side floor is not wet, so the clutch master cylinder is not leaking. It's dry under the hood too. I know when we changed my clutch about 4 yrs ago, that my slave cylinder kinda fell apart when we took it off, so jeff had a modded ap2 one that we swapped on there. Not sure if that matters, but I am going to order a ap1 slave cylinder this time.

Has anyone used a Centric brand slave cylinder? They're half the price of a honda one and Centric does make great brake products.

I do replace the clutch fluid every 15k miles and my car has 100k on it. I'm not too surprised that this happened.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangebarius
So I'm pretty sure that I need to replace my slave cylinder. Yesterday I was driving around and the clutch was catching on the floor. I popped my hood and saw that the clutch master cylinder reservior was almost empty. I added fluid and then went to bleed it. I noticed fluid on the slave cylinder: on the hose and the rubber boot. I wiped it off and bled the line. It drives pretty good now, but the pedal has some play up top and I'm sure that it's a slow leak that I need to keep an eye on until I replace it. My driver's side floor is not wet, so the clutch master cylinder is not leaking. It's dry under the hood too. I know when we changed my clutch about 4 yrs ago, that my slave cylinder kinda fell apart when we took it off, so jeff had a modded ap2 one that we swapped on there. Not sure if that matters, but I am going to order a ap1 slave cylinder this time.

Has anyone used a Centric brand slave cylinder? They're half the price of a honda one and Centric does make great brake products.

I do replace the clutch fluid every 15k miles and my car has 100k on it. I'm not too surprised that this happened.

I have the Centric master and slave for about a year and a half and ive had no problems.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 AM

sweet
Old 09-16-2013, 06:58 AM

another question: do you replace both the slave and master at the same time? i was reading some threads on here and it seems to be a mix of answers. both parts have 100k miles and 10 yrs on them. im sure the master cylinder will go next.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by orangebarius
another question: do you replace both the slave and master at the same time? i was reading some threads on here and it seems to be a mix of answers. both parts have 100k miles and 10 yrs on them. im sure the master cylinder will go next.

I would. Get it all done in one shot considering you are going to have to bleed the system out. Gravity bleed the system too seems to work better than the traditional pedal pumping method and also go to a DOT4 fluid if you haven't already.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM

sounds good to me, thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:20 AM

i read some threads where people have had this problem and just clean, refill and bleed the system and it never happens again. im going to keep an eye on it and see what happens. worst case, ill order the parts and replace them. they're cheap and it's easy enough.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 211 Likes on 173 Posts

Good idea to replace both cylinders as the leak is usually caused by old seals that are deteriorated through use and/or exposure to brake fluid. It's all the same system sharing the same fluid and even getting the same use so it makes sense to do this. Every time you move the slave cylinder you activated the master clutch cylinder as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM

Are you going to replace yourself Barry? If so let me know if I can help/learn while you do.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Yea I'll be doing it myself. I'll let you know when I do it and you can stop by, aiden. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but I'm sure I'll change it soon, probably on a Saturday afternoon.

Quick Reply: Slave Cylinder Gone Bad