New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

SOFT TOP TSB BEING RELEASED!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either talk to Phill @ Babylon Honda -h is people are well aware of the issue (and with him in your corner they likely will NOT give you BS). As far as I know the regional rep DOES have to look at it to approve the fix - and the tend to 'float around' dealerships- so it's not always a guarantee you'll catch them, but the dealers should know when they are going to be in, I believe visits are scheduled (or at least should be).

If that falls through - check in with Millenium Honda in Garden City, Long Island - read my posts above for all the info. Surprisingly they were very helpful and gave me zero BS about it. New top looks great and they shaved down the abrasive edges as the TSB stated to do. So, with fingers crossed, I'm hoping not to have any more top troubles going fwd. Check into those two and give an update! Good luck, sounds like you're under warranty - so in theory you should be taken care of.

My ONLY disappointment was that I had a tinted backwindow before - and now it's new glass and clear as day.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:27 AM

hey rob, where ya been? You should come to the humpday meets
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Nope, dealers will never give it the care any of us would. Glad you didn't have to deal with any BS.

Billman checked the work on mine and found a few minor "issues", but overall I'm happy to have a new top. Do a quick check on all of the seals and make sure things are lined up and tucked away - mine wasn't 100% and I had some leaking going on there too - not bad now though. Also make sure they sanded down the edges that cause the tear in the first place, don't want to go through this all again ...
Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable,Oct 20 2009, 09:05 PM
Been hidin' out -- I'll try to drop by next meet before it gets too cold...

Top Replacement Update:

The short: I have new top and latches replaced under warranty.

The long:

I probably should have hit Babylon or Millenium as recommended, but I already had an upcoming appointment at Friendly Honda in Poughkeepsie, so I gave them a shot...

Since they agreed to replace the top and latches under warranty as per TSB after a look with no BS, I decided to go ahead. No inspection required by a "regional rep". After some minor negotiation, they also agreed to provide a loaner vehicle free of charge, but I had to wait a few weeks before one was available.

They needed about 1 1/2 days to finish up, and wanted to remove the seats--I didn't have my seatlock key, so it required another trip, and oops, they managed to scuff the center console anyway, probably with the passenger seat rails.

The roof looks pretty good, and now tucks much lower when retracted (the elastic straps must have been stretched out on the old roof). The new latches are much tighter than before, and the rattle that developed in the old ones is gone!

I did a car wash test, and with medium pressure spray on the top and windows, a few drips are coming in on both the driver and passenger sides. I'll have to do a heavy rain test, to see if any water comes through under natural conditions...

Aside from the center console scuffing, a few other minor issues:
-one push-pin clip missing from rear tray
-a spare tire cover clip was also missing, but I found it loose in the trunk
-One corner rear tray panel is scuffed up, but you'll never see it unless you contort
your head around the seat backs
-Side panels beneath the convertible rail don't appear to be fully seated inside the rail, with perhaps a centimeter gap. There is no rattling, but to get this completely right at this point would probably require significant disassembly, and result in more scuffing...

So, after 4 round trips to Friendly Honda, I am happy to have a new roof and latches replaced under warranty, and it should be okay if it passes the rain test, but I really wish more care was taken in protecting and re-assembling interior panels.

Despite good customer service, I don't think any dealer will exercise the care that I would when working on the car!
What year is your S?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks, I was hoping it was older.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable,Oct 23 2009, 11:53 AM
It's a 2007.
i've done 3 at my dealer all of them 2007's...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM

From what I've heard it seems 06-07 were the worst years, with tops tearing at a quicker rate/lower average mileage (although obviously this issue affected just about every year).
Old 11-11-2009, 07:29 AM

whats the deal with these bulletins if your out of warranty, like clutch buzz on the ap1's....will they fix it for free? im guessing it would depend on who you talk to wherever you go and how much fuss you make
Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once its out of warranty its up to the dealer if they want to assist you or not..
Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 PM

Go through the Phill/Bill connection - probably your best bet.

Possibly the best pairing since Mario and Luigi ...

Quick Reply: SOFT TOP TSB BEING RELEASED!