New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Want to buy an Amp for my Daily

Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy an Amp for my Daily

Would like to buy an Amp for my DD. My radio on my daily was stolen, Try to go with the no head unit route. Will Connect my Ipod to the amp via RCA I suppose.

Let me know if you have one for sale. I think a cheap one is good enough. I am not looking for anything crazy. let me know. the cheaper the better

Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM

I have a kenwood and a rockford just sitting in my garage. I think the kenwood is something like 25x2 and the rockford is 75x2 (but goes more than that)

shot me a pm with your email/cell and I send you pics. make me an offer
Old 12-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by r3en,Dec 7 2010, 01:51 PM
Would like to buy an Amp for my DD. My radio on my daily was stolen, Try to go with the no head unit route. Will Connect my Ipod to the amp via RCA I suppose.

Let me know if you have one for sale. I think a cheap one is good enough. I am not looking for anything crazy. let me know. the cheaper the better

Thanks
Someone correct me if im wrong, but wouldn't running an ipod straight to an amp result in terrible sound quality due to low Pre-amp voltage coming from the Ipod?

I remember a while back with my first stereo one of the biggest things everyone was saying when i was looking into head units was to find one with a higher pre-amp volatage output.

Maybe its not that big of a deal?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM

The only thing you would probably need to do is just add a thin power wire with an on and off switch to turn the amp on. As for volume control... I think it should be ok. I think I may just try it out with my amps to see how it works.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2ks2knyc,Dec 7 2010, 04:38 PM
The only thing you would probably need to do is just add a thin power wire with an on and off switch to turn the amp on. As for volume control... I think it should be ok. I think I may just try it out with my amps to see how it works.
oh I know it'll definitely work, like you said run a thin power wire, don't need a switch, just tie into an ignition controlled power source for the on/off signal, volume can be controlled throught the ipod itself as well as equalization etc. Im just curious as to how clarity, bass sound quality, surround modulation etc. would be effected.

Double check on the voltage required in the on of lead signal if its not 12v then one would have to tie into something else and or in corporate a reducer of some sort.

Where are all the electricians / electrical engineers / sound guru's, lol
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I know nothing about car stereo. I can install my own head unit and that's pretty much all i know. hopefully I could make it work as planned.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by r3en,Dec 7 2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I know nothing about car stereo. I can install my own head unit and that's pretty much all i know. hopefully I could make it work as planned.
try giving Jose (nfrs2k83) a pm he's the resident audio/visual/ electronics genius
Old 12-07-2010, 12:21 PM

Your right James. Give Jose a PM and see what he thinks. I used to do installs many years ago but he is more up to date.

James, I think with an iPod you can't expect much in terms of sound. MP3s sound bad (to me) in the first place and the output is meant for headphones and not car amplification. There may be some muffling and sounding flat but if that's not a concern it should be ok. I really am intrugued now and if I can bare being in my cold garage, I will give this a run tonight. I have some small speakers I can hook up as well. I just need a battery to run to the amp and I can test it out.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM

I wouldn't run anything less than 8 gauge wire for power no matter how little wattage. No idea what the pre-out voltage on the ipod is but if its low then your amp will be working harder to "make" the sound louder. As for the remote wire you can tap off the radio harnesses 12v switched power or any 12v source that is hot when the ignition is in the "on" position. Check ebay for wiring kits they are real cheap especially for what your doing. Good luck.

Joe
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot do what you are trying to do. Technically, you can rig it to work, but here is your problem....

An ipod has two "exits" for audio. Exit #1 is the headphone jack. Plugging your amp into here will allow you to control the volume from your ipod, however, the signal will be processed twice (once by the ipod/iphone and the other by the amp) resulting in horrible audio quality. The second exit is the bottom dock connector. This connector allows the ipod/iphone to send a 100% digital signal that is NOT processed by the ipod/iphone, allowing only your amp to do the processing, thus, great sound quality. However, plugging into the dock connector removes the capability to control volume on the ipod/iphone itself, thus, you will have no control over volume when the ipod/iphone is plugged in, a huge inconvenience.

You will HAVE to buy a new headunit (preferably one with ipod integration,) or piggyback a pac/isimple unit onto your stock headunit and live with the stock stereo on whatever your beater is.

Quick Reply: Want to buy an Amp for my Daily