New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Are you supposed to activate your E-Z Pass?

Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you supposed to activate your E-Z Pass?

Are you supposed to "do something" with your E-Z Pass after receiving it?

I received my E-Z Pass in the mail last weekend, got a little too excited, and threw everything away except for the tag. Yesterday, I was trying to cross the tunnel, but the tunnel couldn't read my pass. Am I supposed to do something with it (i.e. activate it online)?

I got trapped at the gate for about a minute (I got off the car and tried to wave the pass at the sensor ... looked like a fool, but still didn't work). People behind me weren't too happy ...
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link for you:

http://www.e-zpassny.com

Old 06-12-2006, 07:05 AM

No, it should be ready to use when you receive it.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

If its the kind that you attach to your windshield, you should attach it. Otherwise the reader might have trouble reading it. I found that out the hard way. If its the external kind put it on your front license plate.

There should be nothing else that you need to do.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ralper,Jun 12 2006, 11:50 AM
If its the kind that you attach to your windshield, you should attach it. Otherwise the reader might have trouble reading it. I found that out the hard way. If its the external kind put it on your front license plate.

There should be nothing else that you need to do.
Ya ... it's the windshield type. Not sure what's wrong. I taped it pretty high up behind on the windshield behind the mirror (so I can't see the stupid thing when I'm driving).

But then ... even so, I took the tag off, and waved it in the air slowly for quite some time (about 1 minute), and it still didn't work!?!

I guess I'll just have to go to a terminal in a late nite with no cars ... and try it out again ...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 AM
HJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it behind some type of windshield banner or tint strip, if you have any?

It could also just be the gate malfunctioning. I had that happen once where I pulled up, nothing. Took it off, and waved in the air, nothing. Luckily there was an officer right there at that gate and he came over, took the e-z pass from me, and then slapped it right on the gate. It worked then.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Also, make sure that you register your vehicle. It's really easy to do on line.

The time that mine wasn't recognized cost me a ticket because they couldn't trace my license plate to my account. I had just gotten my vanity plate and had forgotten to register it with ezpass.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Jun 12 2006, 09:06 AM
Also, make sure that you register your vehicle. It's really easy to do on line.

The time that mine wasn't recognized cost me a ticket because they couldn't trace my license plate to my account. I had just gotten my vanity plate and had forgotten to register it with ezpass.
That's odd. I have two ez passes and use them between four cars, swapping them all the time. My daughter uses one to go back and forth to D.C. and I never told them she had it. I've also sold and bought vehicles and still used the same passes. I've never had a problem, never knew I had to let them know each time.

Hmmm...I guess I just live a charmed life
Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 AM

There's no need to "activate" the EZpass. Plus, of the ten times I drive through the gates, it only works eight times.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by plankfarm,Jun 12 2006, 01:52 PM
That's odd. I have two ez passes and use them between four cars, swapping them all the time. My daughter uses one to go back and forth to D.C. and I never told them she had it. I've also sold and bought vehicles and still used the same passes. I've never had a problem, never knew I had to let them know each time.

Hmmm...I guess I just live a charmed life
It isn't a problem until you pass thru and the tag doesn't read. When a car goes thru an EZ-Pass lane and there is no read they try to charge it to the license plate associated with the tag. If there is no plate on file the tickets start to flow

Quick Reply: Are you supposed to activate your E-Z Pass?