New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Anybody have the Stoptech Stage 2 kit?

Old 02-08-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have the Stoptech Stage 2 kit?

Hey - Looking for anybody who has purchased the stoptech stage 2 kit including slotted rotors, brake lines and Axxis pads. My rotors are shot, looking to replace with a good balance of dollar and performance. Alternate sugestions would be great too..

Thanks in advance...

Bob
Old 02-09-2005, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you trying to fix? The stock brakes are fine for virtually any usage short of full race. The track junkies typically use the stock brakes with cooling, stainless braided lines, new fluid and appropriate pads. You can spend a lot of money for no increase in overall performance. Stoptech.com has a bunch of good info including this white paper:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/rear_b...etter120601.htm

The Racing and Competition forum also has a lot of experience worth tapping into...
Old 02-09-2005, 04:12 AM

OEM rotors, racing fluid, racing pads, additional ventalation- that is my set up.

The big brake kits are more bling than function as far as I'm concerned and just drives the cost of all the parts up.

I would rather have resonable part costs so I can replace frequently and not try to get every penny's worth out of them.

Cobalts are what I use.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by jguerdat' date='Feb 9 2005, 06:26 AM
The Racing and Competition forum also has a lot of experience worth tapping into...

And as I moderate that forum I can say - the search function works great too Bob...
Old 02-09-2005, 04:15 PM

IMHO, that kit doesn't give you any performance improvement that you couldn't get cheaper with just OEM rotors, your choice of high temp. brake fluid and your choice of more aggressive pads. You don't even need that unless you run on a roadcourse. Even then bone stock brakes on stock tires is pretty darn good for short sessions on the track.

A BBK would be a good idea if you got considerably more power than stock and do heavy track duty. Otherwise, it's for bling.

Personally, I would consider the small 4-pot Wilwood kit that Docofmind developed, for a stockish power car. It's supposed to have equivalent OEM brake performance, but has other good features. A claimed 30lbs less unsprung weight, 2-piece rotors that are theoretically less prone to heat distortion, and calipers that can quick change pads for those track days. Even so, a brake upgrade is very low on my want to mod list.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Wow - not the answer I thought I'd get. Got me thinking though.

Jeff - good feedback, as for fixin things..All 4 of my rotors are scored pretty bad after last summer. Didn't pay close enough attention to my pads and am paying for it now. Not to mention, none of the parts stores in Watkins Glen carry S2k parts

Thanks for the note on the competition forum, I've been floating around in there a bit, always nice to get the thoughts of people you sorta know though too, thanks!!!

Doug - I already run super blue fluid. Think I will upgrade the brake lines. What did you do for air flow/cooling? I've looked at popping some ducting in from those blocked ports in the front bumper, but didn't come up with anything I had any confidence in when it got close to the wheel.

Fongu - thanks to you as well....

Bob
Old 02-12-2005, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by drvitlikustolit' date='Feb 11 2005, 08:24 PM
Wow - not the answer I thought I'd get. Got me thinking Jeff - good feedback, as for fixin things..All 4 of my rotors are scored pretty bad after last summer. Didn't pay close enough attention to my pads and am paying for it now. Not to mention, none of the parts stores in Watkins Glen carry S2k parts
I'd get the rotors and stock pads from Honda - don't bother with aftermarket replacements. Check out Majestic Honda and Hardtopguy for Internet sources...
Old 02-13-2005, 10:54 AM

Checked out both sites....thanks Jeff!

Bob
Old 02-14-2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by drvitlikustolit' date='Feb 11 2005, 07:24 PM
What did you do for air flow/cooling? I've looked at popping some ducting in from those blocked ports in the front bumper, but didn't come up with anything I had any confidence in when it got close to the wheel.
Do a search in Racing and Competition, there are lots of options out there.

What I have done is unique, the best way to describe it is crawl under a Porsche Boxster and look at how they direct air into the rotor. My design is not 100% complete, but it is still under development.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by jguerdat' date='Feb 12 2005, 12:07 PM
I'd get the rotors and stock pads from Honda - don't bother with aftermarket replacements.
Yes and no...

For track use the OEM rotors are fine, but NOT the pads. I myself like the Cobalts, but the spec-VR that I use are a pure track pad and can not be used on the street.

Quick Reply: Anybody have the Stoptech Stage 2 kit?