New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Debate: 4 seater cars to replace S2K

Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debate: 4 seater cars to replace S2K

So I am sadly thinking about selling my S2000. I have dailyed my s2k for the last 3 years in fair weather (no winter, no rain) but having a newborn is going to severely limit the s2000's use. 2 seats with a baby and wife limit it for weekend trips and car seat requirement eliminate it for daily driving since I have to drop the little one off at the babysitter and the wife isn't fond of the idea of a car seat in the front. Long-story short, the s2k is fixing to see much less driving time this year and I am looking to find a suitable 4 seat replacement. I'm looking for opinions. Consider the following criteria:
  • Reliability is a priority but it's not my only vehicle either (I have a truck)
  • Would not be a winter driver
  • Would be a toy, so sporty and fun-factor are musts
  • Budget is $20-25k (includes selling the s2k)
  • RWD preferred (AWD acceptable)
  • Manual trans
  • High mileage not a deal breaker for the right car (reliability factors)
  • Will probably head south to find a rust free model
  • Will see occasional track time (1-2 times per year)
  • No Mustangs (stigma) or Dodge/Chrysler products (crap reliability/build quality)

Current front runners are 2010 era camaro, e36/e46 M3, STI, FR-S/BRZ. Let me know what I am missing or faults with my current selections! I value this group's opinion!

As a side question: my '03 s2k has quite a few irreversible mods (body widening, full repaint in Cadillac Black Diamond color, powder coated parts, air pump delete, etc.). The question is I have a nice orange powder coated harddog rollbar and behind the seats gutted but kept all the factory parts in the garage. Is the car worth more to sell as-is or should I take out the roll bar and put all of the plastics back. That process will be a pain in the ass but if the car is worth more with the stock plastics installed, it may be worth the effort then sell the rollbar. Car has 190k miles but is in excellent shape especially with the fresh paint last year.

Thank everyone in advance!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Matt - don't sell.

You can get a 4 door daily like a civic or Mazda 3. Those will be fun to drive and yet not break the bank in terms of maintenance.

You will experience regret as most do once the S2000 is gone. So save it and park it if you must. If insurance is pricey reach out to Hagertys. The S2000 is eligible to be insured with them and they'll offer a good price.

You have a truck. So suck it up and drive that more.

BRZ and 86 are good options and you could buy one new in your price range, but they just lack that certain something the S2000 has. I hope we help you decide to keep the car. Your baby will be old enough soon and think about how cool it will be to drop them off at school in a convertible
Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

And if you need four useable seats, always best to go with a 4 door. Easier to keep clean too.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
BRZ and 86 are good options
I would beg to differ. Hauling a kid in and out of a car seat in the back of a two-door car will get old real fast. Rules out the Camaro too.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
And if you need four useable seats, always best to go with a 4 door. Easier to keep clean too.
Now you're thinking
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I would beg to differ. Hauling a kid in and out of a car seat in the back of a two-door car will get old real fast. Rules out the Camaro too.
see my other post re 4 useable seats.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the thoughts Aashish. 3 cars won't be in the budget and since the wife and I are planning on having at least 1 more kid, that still is going to rule out the s2k long term. I guarantee I will miss it especially after spending the time and money to make it suit my likes but I also want to be able to enjoy it as much as possible which will be harder and harder to do now. I have no problem driving my truck as an alternative but the point of having a second "fun" car to me is being able to drive it regularly and enjoy it. So unfortunately that will trump my baby s2k bring a garage piece.

I have done the car seat in a coupe thing before so I know the struggle but I'm willing to live with that compromise to keep my options open to sportier cars.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Keep in mind when baby #2 comes along a coupe will be found wanting. Why not upgrade the truck to a Ford Raptor? That way you have utility and fun. You can save the S2000 for date nights and track days.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know Aashish will shake his head at this suggestion, but have you considered either an Evo 9 or 10? Provided they aren't modded to all hell, it should prove to be a fun everyday car, plenty of utility, and in the winter you can throw on some Nokian winter tires and do rally stuff and fire massive rooster tails off the back!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Subaru WRX STI?

Quick Reply: Debate: 4 seater cars to replace S2K