New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

How many of you drive w/o a front license plate?

Old 09-15-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you drive w/o a front license plate?

On your S in NYS. Have you been hassled by cops? Is there a winsdhield mount available to relocate the license plate etc. Have you been hassled by cops while
driving thru other states?

Oh, and how many times a wk do you drive the S (w/o the front plates)?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent
Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 AM

I've had mine off for 3(?) years with no hassle at all. It may be that I'm just lucky. Don't think I've had the S out of state, however...
Old 09-15-2005, 09:38 AM

Received 326 Likes on 276 Posts

Mine is always on.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Timely info:

I was reading an old issue of "Automobile" at lunch today. It had a list of top ten speeding tips "direct from the police to you." It was written by a NY police officer.

Tip #4 - Think like an F-117 pilot. Avoid laser detection. It recommended removing the front plate. It stated "the summons for not having your front plate will be a lot cheaper than a speeding ticket and won't be a moving violation that will affix points to your license."

I have not run a front plate on my "Toy" cars since 1984. I have never received a ticket for it. Of course, I haven't been pulled over either. My hope has been that if I'm lucky, maybe they'll let me out of the speeding ticket and write me for the missing plate instead.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 AM

I notice that our fearless leader is being rather quiet on this topic. Can anyone say, "Interlaken?"
Old 09-15-2005, 10:49 AM

I am running with it under my passenger seat and a line of bull re: the mounting hardware being broken. No ticket yet but going thru Interlaken on Saturday. As far as Laser detection our paint has so much reflective metal in it it gives the cops plenty of signal. In testing my ECM's with Laser range finder got better bounce from front paint vs. plates or headlights. Need ugly flat matt black paint to lower laser bounce signals.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:32 PM

My plate is in the trunk, never been hassled for it. Whens the last time you saw a Corvette with a front plate? I don't think I ever have. The only time I could think you would get a ticket for it is if the cop pulls you over for speeding and being nice instead of giving you the speeding ticket he gives you a no front plate ticket.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:43 PM

Maybe you aren't as suspicious looking as Triple-H
Old 09-15-2005, 01:58 PM

Just bend the top and mount it like this. I 've gotten pulled over specifically for not having my front plate mounted in Dewitt (Syaracuse). It ended up costing me $100 . I was not speeding or anything. I had no idea why this guy was pulling me over.
Anyhow, I didn't like the factory mounting option so I mounted it my own way.

Ultimately, I ended up movig to a state which does not require a front plate....Or a snowblower!

Quick Reply: How many of you drive w/o a front license plate?