New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA

Old 07-08-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got home around 10pm yesterday (on 3 lugs and a wrong caliper) and a speeding ticket somewhere in the boonies on rt 17. Btw thanks a bunch to BlueOsprey for helping me out with the caliper swap and brake bleed back at the Inn! Very much appreciated!

After i left I ended up going to the state park for a few hours, hence why i got home so late. I had an amazing time, the track is my favorite place on earth as of monday. I cannot wait to go back again. Officially addicted! Now to focus on my next upgrades!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts

I specifically asked him to include the #59 car, so don't get so touchy!
Old 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 149 Posts

I need Greg around for all the times people get my name wrong

Each year as I set about planning this event, I think it will be the last one, but then everyone has such a good time that I get suckered into doing it again. In any case, SCDA knows the kind of numbers we are capable of. This year they also made it a direct payment process which relived me off of collecting the money and sending it to them. So if for some reason I am not around to this, any one of you can pick up the reins and set up organizing this event.

Everyone seemed to stop by and thank me for setting this up. I say Thank you, for coming and making it such a fun event. This event would not have been as much fun without all your participation. So thanks go out to all that made it:
- Tony
- Thomas
- Allan ( some say he set the lap record as much as he was discussing corner speeds)
- Jeff
- Greg
- Jake
- Kamil
- Eddie
- Shiv (who kept us all hydrated with water and gatorade)
- John
- Matt (who catered lunch for us on the second day)
- Robert

Special thanks to Corey as well for coming out and hanging out with the group. While we missed seeing Lisa and Anne, it was nice to have Corey be a part of the group and she seemed like she enjoyed being there as well.

Also a big thanks to everyone that came out to support us - Bugsy, Hogan, Harry and Keith, it was great to see you guys and it mean't a lot to me personally to have you guys come out and hang out with us.

So we will do this again next year. As far as I can tell, this was one of the biggest, if not the biggest S2000 gatherings at Watkins Glen, since we started going there 2 years ago. I hope to see you guys again next year and hopefully we will get Mike and Corvette John to come back as well.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:17 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by EJ86
I got home around 10pm yesterday (on 3 lugs and a wrong caliper) and a speeding ticket somewhere in the boonies on rt 17.
Glad you got home safe Eddie. Sorry about the ticket. Always best to stay around the speed limit in that section.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Amateur pics from my phone while we wait on Newlin aka Doolan

Greg with his trophy and sparkling wine

Jeff and Greg seriously discussing the merits of beer coozies

The crew poses for a group pic - Standing (L to R) chefs2000, foulone, HarryWho, TR8al, S200059, jsenclosure, Bugsy, EJ86, Blueosprey90, kdiringer00nfr, ToplessPolack, A2.
Sitting in front - Shiv and Corey

Mr. Data Acquisition - I hear Peter Krause is looking for a new line of work now

The paddock area

Greg and his Student, Jake McSpeedy

Tony learning the finer points of how mis-shifts affect laptimes from the BlueOsprey
Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

OH! I forgot to say Thanks to Lisa for getting the T-shirts done on time

Here is a pic of Shiv with his shirt on

pics from dinner at Harbor Hotel

Jeff is going to get into trouble with Lisa for wearing last years shirt
Old 07-08-2015, 11:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Thought I'd post my thoughts on the short course. Like many I was not too excited about it, but Ian was right, the course is a blast and equally as much fun without the boot. The reasons for that are as follows:
- The Boot section is plenty of fun because of the elevation changes and the extra mile it adds to the session. It rewards precision and placement of the car. Getting Turn 7 right and tracking out to the edge of the track as you go uphill is nice. Likewise getting Turn 9, 10 and 11 right is rewarding as well. It is much easier and relaxing on a driver than say Lime Rock Park because triple digit speeds are only reached on the front straight and before the bus stop.
- The short course makes up for the lack of the boot section in that it is three straights - Front Straight, Esses and the Back Straight and the straight between Turn 5 and Turn 10. Where it loses the boot section, it more than makes up by making Turn 5 a huge corner where car placement and exit is key. You set yourself up for this corner with your speed exiting the bus stop and go out mid-track as you use the end of the tire wall as a reference for exiting the bus stop. Then begin turning the car in and just past the corner station on drivers right, you should start hugging the corner and then you can get a clean exit where you can get on the gas sooner and have the car slingshot around to the left and then back to the right as you set up for Turn 10. If you get this right, you will be surprised to notice that your speed here is close to your speed on the back straight. Brake and downshift to 4th and then on the gas as you turn in for the apex of Turn 10 and the rest of the course is the usual.
- Where we got about 10-12 laps out of a 30 minute session for the full course, I think we were getting closer to 18-19 laps (20 plus if you were driving a GT-R or a Vette) on the short course. Had Vette John come, he would have loved this layout and could have possibly lapped us all in each session.

Have to add here - I provided the afternoon's entertainment during Session 3, on Day two. I spun out at the bus stop. I came up behind a train where the leader was just not being cooperative and then I had some other cars catch up too. I pointed them all by and eased off the pace for about half a lap to open up a gap. Then I got on the gas and realized that one of the Spec Miata's I had pointed by was not quite as fast as I thought he was. I wanted to see if I could track him down. So I started chasing him down all the way talking to myself that I am just going to focus on being smooth and would keep breathing. So I am getting close to the Miata and I'm braking as he is exiting the bus stop. I figure I should be able to catch him on the straight between Turn 5 & 10, and enter the bus stop at 10 MPH faster than I usually do. I figured I'd be able to get the car in and out with no issues. Once in, I realize I am running wide, and lift to make a line adjustment. I lifted more than I needed to, and the rear started coming out on me. Rather than trying to save the slide, I figured the better option would be to put both feet in and bring the car to a complete stop, given how close the walls were. So both feet went in and I wrestled with the steering wheel and came to a stop off the line, and on the asphalt facing the other way. Waited for cars to pass and then rejoined once it was all clear and reported to Elivan in the pits. Then I behaved myself for the rest of the session and the subsequent session.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:18 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

From SCDA's Facebook page courtesy of Newlin (Doolan) Keen of Track Time Photos

McSpeedy and Greg

Alan in the bus stop
Old 07-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
I need Greg around for all the times people get my name wrong

Each year as I set about planning this event, I think it will be the last one, but then everyone has such a good time that I get suckered into doing it again. In any case, SCDA knows the kind of numbers we are capable of. This year they also made it a direct payment process which relived me off of collecting the money and sending it to them. So if for some reason I am not around to this, any one of you can pick up the reins and set up organizing this event.

Everyone seemed to stop by and thank me for setting this up. I say Thank you, for coming and making it such a fun event. This event would not have been as much fun without all your participation. So thanks go out to all that made it:
- Tony
- Thomas
- Allan ( some say he set the lap record as much as he was discussing corner speeds)
- Jeff
- Greg
- Jake
- Kamil
- Eddie
- Shiv (who kept us all hydrated with water and gatorade)
- John
- Matt (who catered lunch for us on the second day)
- Robert

Special thanks to Corey as well for coming out and hanging out with the group. While we missed seeing Lisa and Anne, it was nice to have Corey be a part of the group and she seemed like she enjoyed being there as well.

Also a big thanks to everyone that came out to support us - Bugsy, Hogan, Harry and Keith, it was great to see you guys and it mean't a lot to me personally to have you guys come out and hang out with us.

So we will do this again next year. As far as I can tell, this was one of the biggest, if not the biggest S2000 gatherings at Watkins Glen, since we started going there 2 years ago. I hope to see you guys again next year and hopefully we will get Mike and Corvette John to come back as well.
Thanks for organizing this. I had fun.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
The guy that helped you with your car is Jacob Ennis (Jake - JSENCLOSURE)
Ooh! Sorry thanks jake! Thanks for the help brother more than gracious !

Quick Reply: July 6 & 7 - S2000's at Watkins Glen with SCDA