New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Looking for an s2k

Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an s2k

Hi,
I'm a newb in the forum so forgive me if I posted the topic in a wrong section. My name is Emre, I`m from Turkey and I came to Buffalo to study my senior year. Even though I came here 2 weeks ago for summer course, I already started to struggle because of absence of a car. I drive a e90 bmw in my home country. But it is time to buy my childhood dream car this year even it is full of snow and stuff here in winter but I don't care So I started looking for some s2k's and I really need your guys help and suggestions. I have a budget like 12-13k maybe up to 15k. So it will probably be an ap1 but it's ok.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/3119651420.html I kept in touch with this guy, looks really clean from the pictures with a great price I guess. I will probably go check this out this week. What do you think?

Also are there any cars that you can suggest me? Thank you. I feel really welcomed here in this forum.

Emre
Old 07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Do you have access to garaged parking. I wouldn't recommend the s2000 as a daily driver but it can be done. Be sure to have snow tires and covered parking and frequent washing also is a must. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/109-cars-for-sale/

Plenty of s2000's for your viewing pleasure. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:23 PM

I have used my AP1 as a daily driver here in Upstate NY since I bought it in April of 2001. I agree with Ashish (A2) that you would need snow tires during the winter and a covered parking place would be nice, but not really necessary. Also, if you are driving during the winter months, you might want a hardtop.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by A 2
Do you have access to garaged parking. I wouldn't recommend the s2000 as a daily driver but it can be done. Be sure to have snow tires and covered parking and frequent washing also is a must. Good luck in your search.
I know it will be difficult as a daily driver but I'll do my best. I won't have a garaged parking so first things first I will buy a car cover and snow tires afterwards when it starts to getting colder around here. Thank you for your advices By the way what do you think about the post I sent above. I guess it will worth the 150 miles trip?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Will you be staying here when your senior year is finished?
Levi
Old 07-15-2012, 03:38 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Testut
I have used my AP1 as a daily driver here in Upstate NY since I bought it in April of 2001. I agree with Ashish (A2) that you would need snow tires during the winter and a covered parking place would be nice, but not really necessary. Also, if you are driving during the winter months, you might want a hardtop.
Good advice Skip. A hardtop is what I would consider a good option especially if the car is being parked outdoors. Would feel much happier than have all that snow weigh down on the soft top.

Emre - please note that hardtop's if available command a significant premium and may cost you close to $3000 for a used factory hardtop. The snow tires are a must-have. Don't even go out on the street if you have all seasons or summer tires in winter. Would not want you to hurt yourself or the car

Originally Posted by emre90
I know it will be difficult as a daily driver but I'll do my best. I won't have a garaged parking so first things first I will buy a car cover and snow tires afterwards when it starts to getting colder around here. Thank you for your advices By the way what do you think about the post I sent above. I guess it will worth the 150 miles trip?
You will absolutely have to do your best if you plan to drive the S2000. It requires you to be an attentive driver and will be a very rewarding experience. You must drive according to the conditions. It has no safety mechanisms unlike your E90 BMW.

That car you posted looks decent and in fairly original shape. He also seems to be offering an extra set of wheels that you could use for snow tires. Before you buy though have a Honda dealer inspect the car and check the compression on all four cylinders. I would also replace that cold air intake with the stock intake as you plan to drive it in the winter. Honda dealer may charge you some money to do the inspection but it is well worth the peace of mind. Be sure to ask for all the vehicle history and make sure that all maintenance has been done per schedule. That vehicle may or may not be worth the trip and its worth will depend on your due diligence to check its history.

Have you had any experience driving in the snow before this?
Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by emre90
My name is Emre, I`m from Turkey and I came to Buffalo to study my senior year.
Emre
Emre - where in Buffalo are you studying? Depending on your answer you might be close to Crazy Schizo who works for SUNY.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Will you be staying here when your senior year is finished?
Levi
I want to actually but it will depend on my family's thoughts as well as mine. So It's not clear for me yet Why did you ask?

Originally Posted by Testut
Thank you for encouraging me as a daily driver I will definitely buy snow tires and a car cover.

Originally Posted by A 2
Emre - please note that hardtop's if available command a significant premium and may cost you close to $3000 for a used factory hardtop. The snow tires are a must-have. Don't even go out on the street if you have all seasons or summer tires in winter. Would not want you to hurt yourself or the car.

You will absolutely have to do your best if you plan to drive the S2000. It requires you to be an attentive driver and will be a very rewarding experience. You must drive according to the conditions. It has no safety mechanisms unlike your E90 BMW.

That car you posted looks decent and in fairly original shape. He also seems to be offering an extra set of wheels that you could use for snow tires. Before you buy though have a Honda dealer inspect the car and check the compression on all four cylinders. I would also replace that cold air intake with the stock intake as you plan to drive it in the winter. Honda dealer may charge you some money to do the inspection but it is well worth the peace of mind. Be sure to ask for all the vehicle history and make sure that all maintenance has been done per schedule. That vehicle may or may not be worth the trip and its worth will depend on your due diligence to check its history.

Have you had any experience driving in the snow before this?
Yeah I get that snow tires are a must-have after your persistent and experienced suggestions about them I don't know now, if I will be able to buy an hardtop, let's buy the car first right And I already talked to the owner that I want to take the car to a mechanic for an inspection and he said ok. But what made me concerned was when I asked him how many owners, he replied uncertain on owners So checking its history is going to be a hard quest for me I guess

I drove an Hummer H3 2 years ago in winter at Buffalo and most of the time with esp off So I have trust on my driving skills but I'm totally conscious of s2000's danger. I also know that it wont have safety mechanisms unlike my bmw but I think I'm slightly used to driving a rwd car and handle an oversteer. Hopefully

Originally Posted by A 2
Emre - where in Buffalo are you studying? Depending on your answer you might be close to Crazy Schizo who works for SUNY.
Yes I'm studying at SUNY University at Buffalo..
Old 07-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Wow I used a lot of smileys

Quick Reply: Looking for an s2k