New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

IS IT OVER?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts
Default IS IT OVER?

Posted Today, 04:16 PM
Has the interest waned to the point that meets are becoming obsolete? I realize we've all grown older and that health and family issues are arising more and more often. Life, as they say gets in the way. Last Fall the turnout for Fall Harvest dropped considerably - to the point that I'm wondering if I should put it on again this year. It requires a great deal of time and work -as anyone who has ever organized a meet will tell you. I absolutely love doing it, however I fear that if participation drops off any more it won't be worth the effort. Negotiating hotel rates and dining facilities requires a commitment to those people in the form of head counts based on my word. We have to reach certain levels for the rates we receive. I noticed that Spring Fling interest seems to be less than previous years as well. So please give me input on your interest. I normally would have started planning a few months ago for this years meet but have been a bit gun-shy after last year.

Your obedient servant,

David aka Headchef
Old 03-31-2016, 12:55 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Dave - never organized the large ones like you have. There should be interest for the local drives although last year was the exception.

To paraphrase if we don't plan, they won't come.

I'll plan something for later in the summer and towards the end of the season. I am tied up with work related issues through spring.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Dave, see my reply in the vintage forum. Maybe for '16 a drive like the old saratoga auto museum rides could be fun. Anything good going on there this summer?
Levi
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I just today lost July 16th for Levi's drive.

I never attended many drives or meets due to a busy live and time constraints - and I'm pretty far away. As a part time, semi-retired 65 hour/ week redundant, I didn't even make it to Lincoln Pond this winter.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't speak to what's happening in vintage, but I've noticed a demographic shift. Many have moved on from s2ks to M3s and big power Mustangs. Younger and younger guys are buying their cars and they prefer Facebook over forums, which is why the site overall doesn't buzz like it once did. Interest across the board will diminish as the car continues to age. The amount of activity we still have for a platform that is 16 years old is pretty good I think. Inevitably, the S2000 will go the way of the EG Civic. Younger guys will know what I mean by that.

We met a Guptills a few times at the end of last season which was nice. Good excuse to get the cars out. We should do that once or twice a month. Auto museum is another good spot with a nice cruise.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 354 Likes on 217 Posts

If there is interest I'm thinking of reviving the Big Zipp drive this year. Probably late June or sometime in July. I will be incorporating the great drive route from last years Spring Fling meet which local folks did not experience. It will be a one day meet with a lunch stop. Let me know .
Old 03-31-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Loved that route, I know whoever decideds to attend will enjoy it too....just pick a date & a starting point.
Levi
Old 03-31-2016, 04:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I just today lost July 16th for Levi's drive.

I never attended many drives or meets due to a busy live and time constraints - and I'm pretty far away. As a part time, semi-retired 65 hour/ week redundant, I didn't even make it to Lincoln Pond this winter.
I know you put in quite the effort for the Solidarity Drive.

Maybe Aric and Levi can lead us this year, if you can't do it. But then again it wouldn't quite be the solidarity drive sans 'the shirt'

Old 03-31-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems things have been slowing down, but usually a few meets like you guys have mentioned are always to look forward to year, after year.

Guptles is a nice wide open place for quick meets, and no one can deny the Auto Museum. We still turn heads wherever we go, especially in a group. F the World!!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by RIDGERCR
Seems things have been slowing down, but usually a few meets like you guys have mentioned are always to look forward to year, after year.

Guptles is a nice wide open place for quick meets, and no one can deny the Auto Museum. We still turn heads wherever we go, especially in a group. F the World!!
It may have slowed down, but we had three drives last year, one track event and several meets at Guptills. We also had the mod day hosted by Jake. So all said and done it isn't as dead as some other places. A core group has still been getting together and we should keep that going - other will come.

Quick Reply: IS IT OVER?