New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Reminder on Front and Rear Brake Lines and Track Driving

Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reminder on Front and Rear Brake Lines and Track Driving

Please ignore my other post referring to the Rear Brakes lines....it was the FRONT LINE FAILED IN ONE WELL DOCUMENTED FATALITY... http://robrobinette.com/cale_accident_report.htm

With DE track days in the near future, just passing this on re changing out brake lines. I'm not sure if there have been issues with the rear line too, but when I do this I'll swapping out both fronts and rears....better safe that sorry.

More here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/907489-brake-lines/

There are more posts on this subject here at s2ki as well as on the web.

Mike
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Did you get that rollbar custom built for your car? I think the track regulars here have all moved on to SS brake lines. Very nice of you to post a reminder.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great reminder. Should have posted this in the r&c section as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Stainless lines 3 years ago and will be changing them out on a 5 year schedule. $100 for lines is worth the piece of mind given the potential consequence. In all failures of OEM lines, it was the crimp at the end of the hose near the caliper that failed, which stainless lines are also susceptible to.

-Mike
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Did you get that rollbar custom built for your car? I think the track regulars here have all moved on to SS brake lines. Very nice of you to post a reminder.
I did not. The more I thought about it and having to do surgery on this really nice condition car, the less I was interested. I decided I'd still take it to the track but I'd be careful to not push too hard or drive over my ability. I did take the car to Toronto Motorsports Park last fall and had fun. I will go back this year....with the SS lines suggested above!

Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 05:41 AM

Received 680 Likes on 387 Posts

I spoke with Cale a couple times on the forum. While i never met him in person, he was the nicest guy ever, and i'm honestly not just saying that. He would skip his own track sessions to help other drivers with their car. He would drop everything to help people he didn't even know. Every year i go to Summit Point and participate in the charity for Cale.

He will be forever missed, and I still get very emotional every time i think about him. You wouldn't believe how much support the Cale gets every year at Summit Point. People drive from the Carolinas to come show their support for one of the best people to ever walk this earth.

I'm honestly getting tears in my eyes thinking about it right now, he was that good of a person.

so yes... please be safe and check your car. However, Cale was very meticulous with his car. Always did everything right. I'm sure he inspected his brake lines, but must have missed the signs on this one.

Two other Honda S2000 owners reported the same exact failure with the stock brake lines. Another owner reported the same failure with aftermarket stainless steel brake lines. The hose crimp connection at the caliper seem to be a weak, failure prone part of the S2000 brake system.
So shit can still happen even if you take the right precautions.