New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 04-14-2017, 05:58 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Dave, Bill, Chris, Dave's instructor, a Silverstone, three up on the skidpad, including a Berlia, 1 on the way up. 1 in the Housatonic Meadows. Plus me. That makes 11 S2000s. At or near Lime Rock.
Did you stop by to spectate at the NASA event? Hope Dave had a good day.

I saw on Facebook, that Mike Fries (yellow CR racecar) was there too
Old 04-15-2017, 03:35 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Xdime Dave's Track Adventure

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-vovv5i2.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-tg78cck.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-i0fe4ec.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-7d442gx.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-ttecuac.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-hlwmyri.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-8vivhpr.jpg

This was another Silverstone? that was there.

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-utr1gak.jpg

Mike Fries - Dave's instructor (i once again forgot his name!)

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-bqlto92.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-s76p6xp.jpg

A fellow named Chris - sort of like Jake's build - constructed from wrecked cars.
(and your's truly)

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-csydwi6.jpg

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-wkh7h1i.jpg

One of the autocross guys. Lad who just had the car for less than two weeks. Roll bar and some other mods. Aero coming.

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track-kvszkrf.jpg
Old 04-15-2017, 04:41 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Chris is from Metro I think or Del Val maybe. Met him last year at the NASA Palmer event. His car is neat and he is fast.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Was Jeff Daigle there too?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff instructed some guy in a 350z, he had a good time. He took some laps in his Golf TDI also!

On a happier note, FedEx dropped off my Sakebomb Garage FPSpec DFVs today. Now to install then book some track days. 3 month wait was tough, but these things look gorgeous.

mike
Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a good day with Mike Fries. Ran in HPDE 1, needing the morning to get back on par with things. My brakes took a beating, replacing them this weekend. Also had another issue with boiling my brake fluid, similar to my last even last year. Happened on one of the last laps of the last session, exact same as last year. I had gravity bled the brakes the week before with ATE 200 so it shouldn't have been an issue. There must be some latent air in there. Going to give in another flush and hope that helps. The problem is you don't know it's an issue until it is.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:21 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by xdime00
Had a good day with Mike Fries. Ran in HPDE 1, needing the morning to get back on par with things. My brakes took a beating, replacing them this weekend. Also had another issue with boiling my brake fluid, similar to my last even last year. Happened on one of the last laps of the last session, exact same as last year. I had gravity bled the brakes the week before with ATE 200 so it shouldn't have been an issue. There must be some latent air in there. Going to give in another flush and hope that helps. The problem is you don't know it's an issue until it is.
ATE 200 should have held up. What pads are you running?

otherwise I'm glad you had a good day and got Mike Fries to coach you.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
ATE 200 should have held up. What pads are you running?

otherwise I'm glad you had a good day and got Mike Fries to coach you.
Im running oem pads, need to make an upgrade on that front. I bought wayyyy too much ATE type 200 so I am going to give in another full bleed in case there is air in the system. If anyone wants any ATE TYP 200 (same as the super blue, they just can't legally dye it blue anymore) I have more than I will ever use (bought in bulk) and you can have it for $10 a liter, which is about half the normal price. I just have no need for all of it (got a little too ambitious ordering, not realizing I barely needed any and can't return it).
Old 04-24-2017, 12:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xdime00
Im running oem pads, need to make an upgrade on that front. I bought wayyyy too much ATE type 200 so I am going to give in another full bleed in case there is air in the system. If anyone wants any ATE TYP 200 (same as the super blue, they just can't legally dye it blue anymore) I have more than I will ever use (bought in bulk) and you can have it for $10 a liter, which is about half the normal price. I just have no need for all of it (got a little too ambitious ordering, not realizing I barely needed any and can't return it).
I will take 2 liters of the ATE. Where do you live and what is your next track day....Why not come out to the RUD event at Palmer on 4/27 and have the time of your life.

I may have some used HAWK pads that will do a much better job on track compared to the OEM crap.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:59 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Just got back from Lime Rock. On Saturday and Sunday, I was in Rochester for Evo School. For what is autocross coaching, it was advanced and way more than a typical autocross school that a region holds. The coaches are either national champions or people who have trophied at nationals and other large events. It was a hectic weekend and I got home last night at 8:30. On the way home, my friend Tim, who also did the Evo school, and I stopped off at a rest area. Tim noticed that the clear sidemarker on the BRZ had come out of its location and was hanging by the wires and got all rubbed up against the tire. Put some electric tape on to hold it in place, cursed Subaru quality and headed home. Wasn't feeling good about it.

Was in two minds about going to Lime Rock today, but decided I'd have to make it as I had committed to instructing at the SCDA Car Control clinic. Xdime Dave sent me a text last night saying he had signed up for the event so we met up in the AM and drove down together. Got to attend the instructors meeting and then it was off to the chalet at the top of the hill. The cars were a mixed bad with high HP cars mixed in with Miatas and the twins. I was asked to be at the autocross track and ride with anyone that needed instruction. I rode along with Dave, an older guy in a 90's Mustang who had very good skills and took to instruction very well, an older guy in a Miata that was also very good, an FRS owner for whom this was the first event of its kind, an older lady in a Jaguar F Type R that had autocrossed and tracked in the 80's, another lady in her brothers Audi S4 and the best student ever in a 911 GT3 RS.

When it seemed like the student was getting what I was saying, I'd stay with the student and work with them further. At the very least if they were open, then I'd work with them willingly.Lady in the Jag was a pro - she'd get greedy with the gas and laugh. It almost seemed like she was intently trying to test me. I was able to work well with the others and they all seemed to have the a-ha moment. Drove the FRS and the S4 just to show the students some things they had missed out on by riding with other instructors. The lady in the S4 had already been out with quite a few instructors. But I think they missed out on asking her to adjust her seat in the proper driving position. I got her to sit in a proper position, told her how to position her arms and she seemed to have become more comfortable and definitely faster by the time I had finished with her.

The gentleman in the GT3 RS had plenty of track experience and it seemed like he did not enjoy having me there. He wouldn't listen to what I said, drove his own line and started tailgating a Miata all over the course. So I asked him to start talking the course to me as he was driving it. His lines got better and he was less aggressive. Not fully out of the woods yet, but better. We pulled off and I was happy to get out of the car, and then a car that was parked alongside pointed out that the GT3 RS had a flat tire. His day was done. I gave him a ride to the paddock to ask for help. Dave helped him out with rides too. He eventually called a flatbed and had the car towed home. I can empathize with Greg much better now knowing what he goes through with helping his students and then taking on the responsibility of helping us lot.

Forgot to add, that the event was sold out. It was so full that the entire A paddock was chock full of cars. When Dave and I came down after the car control clinic, there was nary a spot. So we went to B paddock and were the only two cars there. I had asked Elivan if I could go out for a session to shake down the BRZ. He said I could go out anytime in the Int 2 group. The time was 12:40 and the next Int2 session was at 1:10. So Dave and I went to lunch. Usually the concession stand there is fast with food. Today we had to wait at least 15-20 minutes before both of us got our food.

Dave and I then got into the BRZ. I warmed it up, did the 'pedal dance' to turn off all the nannies, and off we went. On track, the car seems slow (I think I need that S4). I was shifting to 5th on the front straight and not even making it to 100 MPH. As the session passed, I just left the car in 3rd at Big Bend. It would hit the redline just before braking for the uphill, but I'd leave it in 3rd and make it all the way through West Bend in third gear. I started shifting to 4th going under the bridge and onto the front straight. This time around I left the car in 4th instead of shifting to 5th and it got up to about 104 MPH. Dave was timing me in the right seat and I think the fastest I went was 1:11. After that my times dropped as the tires got greasy and I got hit by traffic. At some point during the session, Dave points up as we come to the bridge and I see the GT3 RS on a flatbed going home.

The S2000 has a more friendly power band IMO. But I've bought this car now and I had better learn to be a better driver as I've started blaming the car. I need to drive it like an AP1 in terms of gearing but without having the AP1s friendly torque curve. The car is good on the autocross course though. No complaints there.

Video is uploading, and I will post it. Dave had kind words to say, but I think he was just being nice. Other than a Mustang that seemed to be out there on a Sunday drive, I got owned by every other car on track including another BRZ. On the positive side, if I were participating in the NorthEast 86 Cup that EMRA runs, I would finish second in both Stock and Street classes. But in all honesty, I'd feel happier if I got to the 1:08 time set by John Susko, which is my fastest at Lime Rock in the S2000.

Last edited by A 2; 04-24-2017 at 04:01 PM.