New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
I know, I know!

But if I don't get my schedule set now, I lose the dates. I wanted to go to VIR in April. Might have already lost that weekend due to a judicial appointment. Trying to keep the July dates for Watkins Glen, but Nancy is tugging me to Russia. I have to watch out! Not only do I lose the dates, but my racing / track day budget gets spent behind my back.

Last year I only got out twice with the S2000. I was desperate to find dates late in the season without success.
Believe me Jeff I know all about making a track schedule and juggling everything else around the racing schedule. I only made about 20-25 track days in 2016 and only 4 races so it wasn't my best year on track.

I am looking forward to doing more HPDE events in 2017, especially now that Jake will have a track car. Hope Jake gets his car done early enough so he can get mine ready for The early track dates !.

And Russia...really Jeff, are you going to wear your Trump T-shirt for that trip ?

Last edited by s200059; 12-13-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by s200059
Believe me Jeff I know all about making a track schedule and juggling everything else around the racing schedule. I only made about 20-25 track days in 2016 and only 4 races so it wasn't my best year on track.

I am looking forward to doing more HPDE events in 2017, especially now that Jake will have a track car. Hope Jake gets his car done early enough so he can get mine ready for The early track dates !.

And Russia...really Jeff, are you going to wear your Trump T-shirt for that trip ?

Nope: My "Make America Great Again" ball cap.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like I'll be starting next year in may for Nasa racing school and then hitting every following TT event they hold. In addition I would really like to venture out more and hit VIR, Mid Ohio, and even some of the Canadian tracks since I'm super close to several of them. Greg I remember you telling me about your ventures to the Canadian tracks, any recommendation on which one to start at?

I've also playing with the thought of doing One Lap
Old 12-13-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Looks like I'll be starting next year in may for Nasa racing school and then hitting every following TT event they hold. In addition I would really like to venture out more and hit VIR, Mid Ohio, and even some of the Canadian tracks since I'm super close to several of them. Greg I remember you telling me about your ventures to the Canadian tracks, any recommendation on which one to start at?

I've also playing with the thought of doing One Lap
Well now - OH CANADA. The tracks I have done are Calabogie(with Ottawa /Patroon BMW) and Circuit Mt Tremblant (with Boston BMW) both as a student and also as an instructor..

Both are about the same ravel distance for me because event though Calabogie is further and out in the middle of no where, the traffic in Quebec is insane. Both facilities are top notch and surface is super smoother. Calabogie is a 20 turn circuit that is super technical and abusive on tires, Mt Tremblant is also smooth as silk, 15 turns and flows very nicely..

Calabogie (CMP) - Patroon / Ottawa BMW
I have corded a set of tires each time I have been there during 3 day events. Takes 3 sessions to actually memorize the track, but it is a blast !!
Not much around, kinda cow country. Beautiful facility with full function garage and speed shop on site, they also will work on your clapped out race/track car. Speed shop has some high end stuff for rich Canadians. Stay at Jocko's lake side hotel, I head out for a swim every night after track day.

Circuit Mt Tremblant (LCMT) - Boston BMW
More high speed more than CMP, kinda like WG and racing surface is very smooth. Track flows nicely, like a professional race way, hammer down and pucker up on many high speed turns Its in the mountains within sight of the ski mountain. We stay right at the ski resort and there is a lot to do and see if you choose to. The track is owned by some rich dude that is an AH and can close track at any time, even in the middle of an event.

These are two of my all time favorite tracks, its a long haul so I would not go to any 1 day event, even 2 days is a stretch and 3 days is best with a day of travel the day before and leaving a bit early on Sunday for trip home.

Need a passport, a club that allows convertibles and a pile of cash (Canada ain't cheap) but so worth it. I went during my second year of tracking in 2011 and went back every year for 5 years, many years doing both CMP in June and LCMT in July. I dropped out in 2016 as I struggled with an ill running race car.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

what helmet rating do i need? Snell SA?
Old 12-14-2016, 04:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
what helmet rating do i need? Snell SA?
SA 2015 if you plan to race with that guy named STU

if just track days then SA2010 is good.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Also if you are starting out with autocross even a motorcycle helmet would suffice.

If you are looking king to purchase a helmet both I or Greg can get you in touch with Eric Kaul. He is from the Boston area and is a vendor for safety equipment. He can get you a good price on the brands he deals in.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Audi club going to Club Motorsports

Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Mr. Aashish: Is the Audi Club stock s2000 friendly? Only one is marked "open to all". Does that mean the rest are restricted to members?

For Jake & Shiv
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...s2000-1166875/
Old 12-14-2016, 08:09 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Mr. Aashish: Is the Audi Club stock s2000 friendly? Only one is marked "open to all". Does that mean the rest are restricted to members?

For Jake & Shiv
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...s2000-1166875/
The open to all pertains to their 3 day event at Lime Rock where the first day is ladies only but day 2 &3 are open to all sexes.

No idea if they are S2000 friendly. Hoping Greg has run with them and should chime in.

This gives me hope that someone like NTD or SCDA will have an event there. If they do, be sure to run there before the track is closed to non-members.