New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2019 - Time Trials too

Old 05-16-2019, 02:43 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Too bad the 1st day is July 5th @ 8am as many people have plans for July 4th.
Levi
Agreed Levi. I think they also have a club race at Watkins Glen that weekend. Maybe they do get a turnout.

They plan to have fireworks at Thompson so that should be fun.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by shiv
Love that camera angle Aashish. As I expected you drove like Professor Swami, and the car looked hella planted as well. Not gonna lie when I saw my nemesis I might have yelled at obscenities at my computer. Next event is in July right? Is an engine reflash allowed for the class?
You’re just too nice. Like we talked last night, come up to Buffalo, get that S2000 started and come to Thompson.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Here's a video. Misspellings and all.

https://youtu.be/jNag_1eYXNs
Thanks for Sharon. This is great stuff Jeff.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:55 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Discovered this old gem today

BTW, Mr. Osprey - Corvette John will be joining us at Watkins Glen
Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm trying to work a deal to have a former works BMW driver drive my car this weekend at Lime Rock.

Well, I should rephrase that. The former works BMW driver is desperate for a ride and is willing to take anything more or less available.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:02 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Dave Nicholas is making a trip up here?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:57 AM

He's apparently signed up for the event this weekend at Lime Rock. I'm not certain what is planned, but there is Trans-Am racing as the main ?? event, I think. SVRA is filling up the time between races with vintage racing. Dave is retired now and he runs a lot with SVRA and has been declared national champion of something, group Vintage-F prod. ??, for a few years.

My car is under the knife as well, but I'm trying to get it ready if he needs it.

I'll be hiking.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
He's apparently signed up for the event this weekend at Lime Rock. I'm not certain what is planned, but there is Trans-Am racing as the main ?? event, I think. SVRA is filling up the time between races with vintage racing. Dave is retired now and he runs a lot with SVRA and has been declared national champion of something, group Vintage-F prod. ??, for a few years.

My car is under the knife as well, but I'm trying to get it ready if he needs it.

I'll be hiking.
Any plans of getting his data so you can benchmark against him?

Maybe have him run the Aim Solo if you are away hiking.

Also, what about Time Trials. Like I was telling Rico via text yesterday. Both of you are participating, you just haven’t accepted it yet
Old 05-23-2019, 05:41 AM

Oh, Lord!

I'm not into spectator sports of any kind. If I can, I'll be a participant at some bottom level of proficiency, but I never watch sports on TV or go to a game.

And due to spousal unit limitations, I only get a so much opportunity to get on track. So I was completely unaware of what was happening at Lime Rock this weekend. I'm supposed to be swatting black flies in the deep back wilderness of the Adirondacks.

So I receive an email a few days ago from a trackside friend who had entered the races but whose car was busted. Did I know of any MGA race cars that might be available. Well, one thing leads to another and I ask if he remembered a barn from which he pulled an old engine years ago. I said he should look through the crack the door of my barn on and that if my car goes missing for a few parade laps, I won't be any the wiser. Of course, it will be a "barn find" and the car needs some prep.

Then I find out that he'll be driving a big motor home - bigger than my house! - and since the barn is 12 feet off a major road, there is no way he could ever pull the car out. So I go get the car, bring it to my house and spend two nights after work until midnight getting it more or less ready to race. My friend picks it up yesterday afternoon and heads off to the track - the car tilted up on the trailer at a 35% angle because his hitch is so high.

This morning I receive an email from Lime Rock offering me tickets for the weekend event. Turns out this is a big Trans Am Race weekend. This is a major league event, not the bush league I'm used too. The races will probably be televised on national TV - maybe internationally. Last year I was visiting and the Pirelli Tire Challenge cars were all there. Every rig was a big money affair, with professional pit crews, cars up on lifts, tire changing machines and the whole nine yards. This is going to be the same thing!

I guess the vintage cars are supposed to fill up the time for the spectators between the Trans Am Racing.

Oh, my car and my home made, rusty trailer will be such an embarrassment - so puny and inconsequential when compared to the likes of the Trans Am cars. Godzilla, King of the Monsters is supposed to be there racing. My car doesn't even have a name!

On the plus side, Dave Nicholas, will be driving my car. He is one fast dude. And I'm interested is learning what he might be able to wring out of my car - assuming he can get it through tech. Of course, once they see the rig, he may have to park in the outfield.

And of course, I hope that the car comes back alive. I feel like a nervous parent whose daughter is going out on a date.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Tell Dave, if he breaks it he buys it

I think his experience will help you a great deal. After all he was a factory BMW driver before BMW was a thing here.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2019 - Time Trials too