New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 08-16-2018, 05:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Still working on the cars every night. MGA is close to ready. Volvo maybe / maybe not.
You seem to be making progress

Greg, Mike, Rico and I will be at Palmer on Saturday and two weeks from then I hope to be at LRP crewing for you.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2

You seem to be making progress

Greg, Mike, Rico and I will be at Palmer on Saturday and two weeks from then I hope to be at LRP crewing for you.
That would be Sept 1? How is the parking there? Never been to LRP.
Today ordered the new book ¨Tuntematon (Unknown) Kimi Räikkönen¨ by Kari Hotakainen. Should get it the end of October.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Riche
That would be Sept 1? How is the parking there? Never been to LRP.
Today ordered the new book ¨Tuntematon (Unknown) Kimi Räikkönen¨ by Kari Hotakainen. Should get it the end of October.
Parking isn’t too bad. They have you park in the field outside the gate. Just make sure to get there around 9AM so that you can avoid the rush of traffic. Bring sunblock and wear a hat. Best to have an umbrella handy too.

Here is a link to their website.
Historic Festival - Labor Day Weekend | Lime Rock Park

If you want to go you’re welcome to ride with me. But I’ll be there until at least 6 or 7 PM with plans of leaving home at 7 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Also once you read the book, be sure to share your impressions of it. I hope it’s translated into English too.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

If you scroll a little bit down that link from Lime Rock, you will see additional links for "Weekend Schedule" and "Racing Entry Lists". According to the Racing Entry List, I am in Group 4. Most of the cars I know on that list are very fast compared to me! I will polish my rear view mirrors!

The "Weekend Schedule" shows me racing at 10:15 and 3:05 on Saturday. Also racing again on Monday.

Richie, are you back stateside and planning to attend. Cool Beans if you can. If so, the earlier you arrive the better. I have a feeling that the Bugatti collection / races may attract a larger than usual crown - unless it's raining. I think by 9:00 on Saturday, there will be a bit of a traffic jam, probably until about 10:30 or 11:00. You might want to buy a ticket in advance because I think the price will be slightly reduced.

You may have to park fairly far out, but they have a fleet of golf carts to ferry pedestrians around. If you have one of those folding chairs to sling over your shoulder, you should consider bringing it. There are no grandstands, and you will be wandering around and sitting on the grass, If you get tired of carrying it around, you can throw it on my trailer. I can usually manage a little bit of shade in the paddock. I'll most likely be in B Paddock. Green MGA #645. Bonnet up in all likelihood and mabey an older guy with his head stuck under there.

Aashish, I did not buy tickets to the Saturday night dinner. The dinner that we used to attend was included in the price of the weekend, but now it is an extra and I was too cheap to buy. Tickets are probably still available.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Isn’t that dinner on Friday night usually? And haven’t we normally repaired to the boathouse for dinner after the day is done?

I’m fine with missing the dinner. I’ll plan to arrive by 8:30 on Saturday AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Also once you read the book, be sure to share your impressions of it. I hope it’s translated into English too.
The book was introduced yesterday in the Helsinki Sanomat (newspaper) and on TV with an interview with Kimi and Kari. The first books will be in Finnish and Swedish, paperback and hardcover.. An English version will be come out at the end of October. One thing about the interview was Kimi was so relaxed. Nothing like when he is on the job being interviewed in Finnish or English. He is all business at the track. My order was placed with a local book store, Soumalainen Kirjakauppa, for the english version hardcover. The girl quoted me 22€. They have a website where books can be ordered but Amazon is sure to have them at some point.
Thanks for the ride offer. If I can make the trip my neighbor will probably come with me. That should be a large increase in Blue's fan base for the day.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:27 AM

Richie, send word asap if you can come. Saturday tickets in advance are $50. I have an "insider's discount" of $10, so $40. My discount expires on August 24th. I will be in town only on Monday, August 20th, so best if you can let me know before then. After the 20th, all bets are off for me as I will be climbing Gothic in the Adirondacks. Not sure that I will be home, let alone still alive, by Friday, the 24th. Hauling my 210 pound carcass up a steep mountain can be damaging to my health!

I can buy the tickets and they will be left at the "will call" shack. Other days as well, my discount is 20% off the "advance" ticket price.

Aashish, this doesn't apply to you, as you have been designated as part of the official crew.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:53 PM

We had overcome the torrent in Ore Brook Slide and now faced the 300 foot vertical slab. One by one, hand over hand, we struggled to haul ourselves and the dogs up by the cables buffeted by the strong wind. But now we had another hundred feet to climb – still some smooth, vertical slab with no cable to grab, no handhold, no foothold. There was no going down. I move left and managed to find a small toe hold, grab a small vein in the stone and haul myself up to where I could grab a small boulder. I reached down and pulled Charlotte up and threw her down under the stone wondering why we were doing this without being roped together. She says “Someone died here.” “What do you mean?” “Someone died here”, she insists, pointing to a very small commemorative plaque ankle high on the side of the rock. I can only glance at it. February 2004 or maybe 2006 is all I take. Sorry lad, no time to say a prayer or reflect on your life, as I fear we are in mortal danger ourselves and need to find a way off this face.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 03:45 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Sounds like you had quite the adventure El Jefe

driving on track will be a walk in the park now.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII