New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

WNY cross-regional autocrosses for next season

Old 10-28-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm, I can not stand the fact that anyone who owns a "muscle" car would smack talk about Hondas. I don't know this Aaron guy, but from your posts, I'm already starting to get annoyed at Aaron. So here's some smack talk back at Aaron.

Everyone in their right mind know that muscle cars are:
-low performance (displacement to power ratio) (truck-like engines)
-slow in the twisties (like in an autox course)
-heavy
-handles like a bus
-ugly (in my opinion anyway)

Everyone in their right mind also knows that imports such as the S2000 are:
-high performance
-fast in the twisties
-light weight
-handles like a go-kart
-beautifully sweet looking at all angles

As you can see I don't have too high of a view on cars such as the Camaro, 'Stang, Firebird, etc. The only exception is the Corvette. That's the only car from Detroit that can actually be called a "sports car" by it's purest definition.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:07 AM

I've known Aaron for several years now (I think I met both Aaron and EricN at the same time, an autoX in Ithaca) and I still can't tell if/when he's teasing and if/when he's serious. He's actually a fairly good driver, though, and I agree completely with Nick's comments on Aaron and his new toy. In short, far be it for me to stand up for Aaron, John, but his Camaro was quite fast and handled very well. I do know Aaron is obsessed with "Detroit Iron," just as you apparently are obsessed the other way. How sad for both of you as you'll never enjoy the advantages and characteristics which every brand offers. Then again, you probably won't have to suffer as the rest of us have, either.

Skip (Former owner of a Hudson, Studebaker, Edsel, Austin-Healey, MGA, MGB, Fiat, Alfa-Romeo, Porsche, Chevvy, Ford... )

"So many cars, so little time... "
Old 10-28-2004, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Testut,Oct 28 2004, 09:29 AM
Jeff, does this signal a change in your attitude about driving great distances to attend autoXes or is it the opportunity to beat Aaron's Z06 which is the cause.
With a trailer it makes it easier. Of course, the night before I wonder why it's a good idea - sounds better when it's in the nebulous future.

As Doug sez, are you going to change your affliction, too?
Old 10-28-2004, 10:27 AM

Skip, you are absolutely correct about how I am obsessed with imports who's motto is "performance through light weight". As a matter of fact, if I did not have the S today, and I were in the market for a fun car, the Elise is high on the list (as well as the S2000 and 350Z). I would go so far to say that the philosophy of of "Detroit/Dearborn Iron" is fundamentally flawed as far as car design is concerned. But all this is smack talk and I normally do not express this type of skewed remarks. But this was in response to this Aaron's remarks in an organization where people are not supposed make fun of others cars.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Aaron is actually a decent guy, and probably has potential to go fast, but he has a definate knack for pissing off people with his inane public statements. I don't think he realizes that he is turning off the people that could, and probably would, help him to go faster.

Oh, and John--I'm a former muscle car guy that still has a place in his heart for some of the American iron. I've owned 2 Mustangs and a Camaro. I agree that they are not sportscars, but they perform very well for their intended puposes.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's some quotes from Aaron:

"I have goals for next year.
1. Trophy at a National Tour (or two or three) - If you don't set the bar high....
2. Beat the Hondas (should be easy now)"

"Aaron
#3 SS (Yes fiberglass melts in the rain)"

"Fiberglass doesn't melt - ask Alan.

And Alan's wrong, HP is for bragging, TORQUE is what wins races. I
want to see if I can beat the Elise =)

If I piss of the Honda guys it's b/c they can't accept the fact that
it has been proven that a Chevy is faster. The real goal is to get to
the point where I feel like I am getting 100% out of the car."

"The camaro is a brick. You don't honestly think I was going to beat
them with that? The camaro also weighs like 700 pounds heavier than
an S2000."

Notice the discontinuities. There's plenty more.

Here's another disconnect - the results form a BIMP event this year. Notice AS and BS times compared to ESP where Aaron hid.

http://www.wny-scca.com/solo2_result...vent05_fin.htm
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 AM

Mark, yeah, I know. Just hearing you guys post about Aaron's remarks (even though I didn't see the actual remarks) got to me. That's why I had to post my skewed remarks.

It's all about enjoying the cars that each of own, until someone like Aaron starts with his remarks. And don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the cars from the big 3. They have their toys and we have ours and we can all co-exist.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jguerdat,Oct 28 2004, 01:32 PM
Here's some quotes from Aaron:

"I have goals for next year.
1. Trophy at a National Tour (or two or three) - If you don't set the bar high....
2. Beat the Hondas (should be easy now)"

And Alan's wrong, HP is for bragging, TORQUE is what wins races. I
want to see if I can beat the Elise =)

If I piss of the Honda guys it's b/c they can't accept the fact that
it has been proven that a Chevy is faster. The real goal is to get to
the point where I feel like I am getting 100% out of the car."

Notice the discontinuities. There's plenty more.

Here's another disconnect - the results form a BIMP event this year. Notice AS and BS times compared to ESP where Aaron hid.

http://www.wny-scca.com/solo2_result...vent05_fin.htm
Holy jeez, there's more here than the city dump.

If his goal is to beat the Hondas, why doesn't just go and get the Enzo or perhaps the McLaren F1 or some other supercar?

This guy's comments are a waste of bandwidth and so are mine, so I'm going to stop with this non-sense here.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jguerdat,Oct 28 2004, 01:22 PM
As Doug sez, are you going to change your affliction, too?
I doubt it. I have to have some weekends for fishing, too. Besides, by the time the Glen and Southern NY events are tallied, PCA get togethers, Upstate NY S2000 cruises... not to mention those events at The Glen (IRL next September!!), it doesn't leave much time. Maybe this is why folks move south.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:30 AM

Hope I can remember the vintage rally at the Glen next year.

Quick Reply: WNY cross-regional autocrosses for next season