New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Yamaha YZF600R

Old 04-07-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Doug...Wow!

$750 for a bike that clean. What a steal. I sold my '85 "S" for $1850 3 years ago. (I built it from 2 $300 a piece wrecks.) Clean ones were selling on eBay for close to $2500. (I bought my first one new for $3000.) I think the "S" had a cult status of sorts and held its value pretty well.

Gotta like the deal I got on the ST1100. It has a rebuilt salvage title, but was repaired properly and you could hardly tell it from new. Had less than 2000 miles on it. I picked it up for $5300. They were about $13000 new!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to sad I'm verry sorry to hear your Civic has not been up to Honda standards, that is just plain wrong!!!

IMHO. You can drop plenty of cash on a brand new bike, only to drop it in the driveway and see the hole appear in your wallet. As a 1st time rider I would think a used bike would offer up plenty of opportunities to learn about motorcycling at a much lower cost. And, if you find after one year you really love it, then go for it, get a new bike and have a blast!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:10 AM

Mark, having the obvious skill sets you have has allowed you to put some great deal together, good for you!

Yes, the Nighthawk S had and has a cult following, as it should, it was an amazing bike for the mid '80s. My Nighthawk 650 lives just under the radar screen, but lots of bikers know about them and share the love as I do. So, out of curiosity, what do you think I could get for it if I put it up for sale?

I will be the first to admit I do not ride as much as I used to, and I miss it. I have longed for one of these for the past 5 years and am seriously wondering if I should not just step up to the plate and sell the Nighthawk.

'98 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor
I have to confess, I get a little week in the knees everytime I see that single side arm rear suspension...

Although I can appreciate the amazing ST1100, I think the VFR is the modern interpretation of the Nighthawk, and more my size. The long wheelbase makes it less of a darty sport bike and it seems comfortable enough to do those 400 to 500 mile days that I love to do.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The VFR 800 is cool. I may have gone with something else if the deal wasn't so good on the ST. (I had my eye on a friend's Kawasaki GPZ1100.) I don't do any touring, so the ST is overkill, but I'm getting old and really appreciate the windshield and saddlebags!

I just looked up the NADA value on the 650 Nighthawk and was disappointed to find it was only $1185, but the Nighthawk S was listed as $1240, so I think the numbers are low. I would think your bike would be worth at least $1500, but the mileage may hurt.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:04 AM

The ST1100 is a bike made for long trips down winding roads. Dude, get out there and use it for how it was intended.

I will not ride without a fairing, call me a sissy or an old man, I don't care. When you ride 400 miles in a day, you need to have something else block the wind; my body just can't take it. People don't realize how much physical strength and endurance riding can take.

Just look at the specs for the new VFR, amazing stuff.
The sound from the V4 with a good exhaust is just enough to make my knees shake...

Engine Type- 781cc liquid-cooled 90-degree V-4
Bore and Stroke- 72.0mm x 48.0mm
Compression Ratio- 11.6:1
Valve Train- VTEC DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Carburetion- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) with automatic enricher circuit
Ignition Computer- controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping and electronic advance
Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
I have to sad I'm verry sorry to hear your Civic has not been up to Honda standards, that is just plain wrong!!!

IMHO. You can drop plenty of cash on a brand new bike, only to drop it in the driveway and see the hole appear in your wallet. As a 1st time rider I would think a used bike would offer up plenty of opportunities to learn about motorcycling at a much lower cost. And, if you find after one year you really love it, then go for it, get a new bike and have a blast!
Hmm...your probably rite. Arite thanx for the great advices I'mma go look around in the used section for a bit and see if I like anything.

Tuner
Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 AM

These people will have lots of used bikes in stock.
http://hollinkmotorspo.e-siteworks.com/
Old 04-09-2004, 08:08 AM

Tuner, check it.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=197968
Old 04-09-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Triple-H
Tuner, check it.
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=197968
WOW!! THANX~! 4000bucks for a practically a new bike!! This is one chance I've got to least poke my head in.

Tuner
Old 04-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Former Moderator

I glanced over the posts here, so I'm sorry if someone else mentioned this...

An R6 is wayyyy to much bike for a beginner!! I had an R6 before I got my S2000, before that a ZX9RR.. they were both death machines..

I say the same thing to every bike beginner.. Hop on the autotrader and find a nice cheap bike, reliable ofcourse, but something sedate, and easy to ride. The new sport bikes are all about speed, and with the flick of the wrist you could be sitting on your ass..

I sure you want a cool bike, and lets face it, nothing looks as cool as those things.. but you are asking for trouble.

Remember the motorcycle credo, its not if you fall, but when you fall.

If you can't restrain yourself, at least get a 600 sport bike around 5 years old, it will be alot tamer then whats available now.

Just get some experience, its the only way to be safe

Quick Reply: Yamaha YZF600R