New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

You guys were right about the weather

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You guys were right about the weather

Hi, Upstate New York weather does take some getting used to. I am back in NJ (temps in the upper 30-40 with rain instead of snow, I can actually see grass) for a few weeks until the semester starts, then I will be back at Paul Smiths, NY.

When I left there was more than 3 1/2 feet of snow and the temps were hoving in the 10 degree range. I have never seen that much on the ground since I was a kid. From the weather reports it looks like the temps have been very unpredictable in the whole northeast. But the accumulated snow does take some getting used to.

I have purchased snow tires which will be on the car for the return. I tried using all-seasons, which worked well downstate, forget about it here.

My thanks for your insights in August and September, it has actually helped me to cope with what I have experienced. The next thing would be to figure out how to get on top of my rented house in Paul Smiths with a shovel....

and buy one of the fur lined trapper hats.....

then make way for the black fly season in the spring.......

Take care, all, have a good year. It is a blast drivng the S2000 on the practically deserted roads around Paul Smiths. In good weather, it take a lot of effort to keep the speed down to 55 mph.

Chris
Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Montclair, NJ ... are you there now?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Yes, now back in Paul Smiths around the 18th.

Another questions. Do I have to worry about the soft top in sub freezing temps. Below zero? Will the plastic get brittle?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a 2002 you do not have a plastic rear window. But yes, plastic in sub-freezing temperatures can crack. Do not lower your top in these temperatures whether you are glass or plastic. I believe it states this in the owners manual.

BTW, I'm in Clifton. Come out to our meet this weekend! It's go-karting
Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 326 Likes on 276 Posts

Chris, good to hear from you. I'm glad Saranac Lake is living up to your expectations...was -24 there yesterday.
As Hiper said I wouldn't be dropping the top in these temps, but other than that you should be fine.
Hope to meet up with you sometime this year...
Levi
Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by chris2002,Jan 3 2008, 11:30 PM
I have purchased snow tires which will be on the car for the return. I tried using all-seasons, which worked well downstate, forget about it here.

My thanks for your insights in August and September, it has actually helped me to cope with what I have experienced. The next thing would be to figure out how to get on top of my rented house in Paul Smiths with a shovel....

and buy one of the fur lined trapper hats.....
Hey Chris, good to hear from ya...

Told ya

It can be hell for sure, but there are rewards. Enjoy your time down in Jersey.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Yeah, I still have the pictures of the cabela's hats you sent me in August.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I grew up and Lived in Rochester (Fairport) until I went to college. I just recently moved to Baltimore. And its really weird to walk out at lunch and think it is odd to see the sun out during the winter. This strange bright thing burns my eyes. Also everybody hear freaks out over snow, when any amount is forecasted ppl run to the store and buy milk, bread and TOILET PAPER. The snow isnt on the street for more then 1 day, and theres grass during the winter apparently.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy,Jan 22 2008, 11:22 AM
And its really weird to walk out at lunch and think it is odd to see the sun out during the winter. This strange bright thing burns my eyes.
Suuuuuuuuuure, rub it in...

Old 01-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jan 22 2008, 11:19 AM
Suuuuuuuuuure, rub it in...

I miss going to Eastview mall and doing doughnuts though, They dont get enough snow here to do good ones without destroying tires.

Quick Reply: You guys were right about the weather