NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

Best place for loose diamonds? I remember some other members posting up about it here

Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Best place for loose diamonds? I remember some other members posting up about it here

Starting to begin the hunt for an engagement ring. Started shopping around and figured out the type and approximate size looking for etc but wondering if anyone knows the best places to look? I'm sure NYC has a lot of good options.

Only looked at the basic mall stores and most the quality was really crappy as to be expected. I looked online as wel but I would have to see them in person to really examine I would think.

Anyone have any good tips or pointers?
Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah dont get married!!!!! Lol im sure u saw that comment coming. I will talk with my brother today who just spent a boat load on a ring
Old 11-20-2013, 03:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my wife's first ring from BlueNile.com. They don't have to maintain storefronts so the cost is lower and you specify exactly what you want.

A couple months ago we got her a new set from a local jeweler/antiques dealer. Since he already owned the loose diamond and was the only one who had to get paid (other than the guy who made the setting) we got a gorgeous ring for thousands less than a brand name Tacori ring which is what it looks like.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Best place for loose diamonds? I remember some other members posting up about it here
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/940...t__p__21557603
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the info! So mark ups to name brand stores are really about 100%? Damn that sucks!! I'd love to get one at dealer cost lol.
I'm looking for an ideal high clarity and colorless 1.5 ct round I believe. Anything bigger she tried on she didn't like as looked too bulky so that works for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

wow, i just re read that old thread. and saw my post. i was married shortly after reading that thread. never got around to getting a fancy ring for her but things worked out. although i will pm those peeps with the hook ups. i think the wife deserves some nice earrings for her bday this year.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Thanks for the info! So mark ups to name brand stores are really about 100%? Damn that sucks!! I'd love to get one at dealer cost lol.
I'm looking for an ideal high clarity and colorless 1.5 ct round I believe. Anything bigger she tried on she didn't like as looked too bulky so that works for me.
Worry about cut and color first. Those are the things that make a diamond brilliant to 99.99% of the people who see it. Spending tons of extra money on clarity only buys you things that can be seen if the person looking at it is 2" away with a 10x loupe (which no one will ever do). I'm mentioning it because my jeweler spent a lot of time with me and my wife when we were doing her ring. He gave us about a dozen loose diamonds to look at without telling us the "stats" and we were surprised how a couple stones with lesser clarity but were cut well and colorless looked better than some more expensive ones that were internally flawless. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah the ones I have been looking at were all listed as ideal for cut, color, polish and symmetry. I'm efinitely not trying to just get the largest one. We saw a 1 ct that was very high quality that looked bigger than a 1.5 ct much lower quality stone. Night and day difference!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got re-married this year. (I know I don't learn. ) This is what I got the Mrs. Bought it from Diamond District (46th street?). kevinvr6's uncle works there but did not carry what I was looking for. He did recommend someone that did and he's in the same building floor. Waited a month for the ring to finish. But in the end we were very happy with what we got. Definitely go for quality over size.

I am now broke for the next couple of years but that's besides the point.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good work, Ray!

Quick Reply: Best place for loose diamonds? I remember some other members posting up about it here