NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

ipad

Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ipad

looking strongly at getting an ipad, before i pull the trigger i was just curious if anyone would be able to hook me up on a price haha ... id rather check to see if i can get some % off before paying retail .. thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you are dead set on getting it but I have used one and found it to be horrible and nothing more than an extra large iPod. For the money you spend it does not seem worth it at all. Try waiting for the release of a few more alternatives with Driod OS and the Rimm one and the price should shortly drop.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM

thanks for the advice, i was also thinking about waiting to see what the next version would be. probably just gonna do that and wait it out
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

sup jay, what do you plan on using it for? I personally think the ipad is pretty useless. I have an ipad nano... and the best thing about it is that it makes phones calls as well
Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 PM

i was thinking of picking one up but not unitl it has at least a usb port..
Old 12-06-2010, 06:01 AM

Received 850 Likes on 460 Posts

Jay,

I've got one. Work paid for it. I'm part of a desktop management team for a global company. I deal with App hosting, alternative desktops, and the like. The goal is to try and figure out how to classify them from a hardware perspective, platform perspective, and capability perspective.

Let me tell you, its great for some quick websurfing, doing my mail and calendar (I don't have a smartphone) and playing AngryBirds and cards. I've even watched a movie via Netflix on the train once.

As already asked, what types of things are you thinking about using it for? It is very good, even excellent for some things, but horrible or even completely lacking in other.

Nick - not sure of Apple's plans, but it seems like they wouldn't add USB. I could see Apple's stand - if you want more space, buy the 64 GB version - when that's not enough, buy the next largest one - just keep buying. Or use your MAC (or PC) for your external storage and just synch what you need. Think about it - all kinds of mobile devices have SD cards right? What about the other Apple products, nope.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:27 AM

I agree that it's great for casual web surfing, catching up on a few emails etc.

It doesn't replace a desktop/laptop, but compliments one. You'll (Jay) find that it's basically a larger iPhone less the phone, but it's nice to have a larger screen when you are sitting on the sofa, etc.

My two-year old niece can power it on (Home button), scroll through the different screens, choose the game she wants to play and even dismiss the Low Battery warning. I'd say if a 23-month old can figure it out, Apple did a good job.

I want to get one for my father, since the majority of his home time is spent surfing the web. However, he does enjoy video chatting so I am hoping the next-gen iPad will have a camera and facetime.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 AM

Received 850 Likes on 460 Posts

Devs-

It doesn't replace a desktop/laptop, but compliments one.
That's an interesting statement. I'm far from the generation that lives by their mobile device. I also deal with the device mostly from a corporate perspective. My views...

We, like you, don't see them replacing anything. As you say, we're treating them as personal companions to your existing computing tools. Other than those in the testing / support area and a very specific sales organization, the iPad is a YOU BUY, YOU USE type device at work. Much like a personal smart phone. With the correct sign-offs, both can access internal mail/calendar and other tools, on site Wi-Fi, or external Wi-Fi, 3G plus the VPN client.

Its interesting to see/hear what the vendors say however. "Control your desktop, run virtual desktops, do this and that." Really? I HAVE, and HAVE TRIED, to run my virtual Windows desktop on my iPad. Useful for about 10 minutes, a real quick problem, etc... but for real work? Absolutely not. There's no way anyone would want to work on a Windows PC with a touchscreen and expect applications to be usable.

Now, on the personal side, where again, I'll say I'm not in the younger generation, and generally slow to move on technology. I would see that generation foregoing a 'traditional PC' and using the iPad (or similar) exclusively. I think what our parents may have known as a PC, and what we deal with daily at work and home may not be what the younger generations expect to use. For some people, an iPad may be the only device they need to do the things they see as requiring a computing device. I do think that as that generation gets into the corporate world, many of them realize that there's more to a computer than facebook, twitter, and texting, and that there are devices better suited to real tasks then a mobile device.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:14 AM

My company uses Citrix for remote access. All of the analysts use a PC at home, while all of the senior partners use iPads. Why the difference? The senior partners are essentially viewing data, whereas the analysts require a PC interface (i.e. keyboard) to be able to do any meaningful work with financial models in Excel and write-ups in Word.

I think remote access through the iPad is useful in limited circumstances when one needs to view/review documents/data.

However, to play devil's advocate, don't they have wireless keyboards for iPads? If I had a wireless keyboard and mouse, using an ipad through Citrix in theory shouldn't be too different than logging on from a PC or Mac, no? I could envision a future where for home use, one would essentially dock their iPad. Isn't it only a matter of software upgrades and a few minor hardware upgrades?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM

Gary has got it right .. depending on what you will use it for it should work well. However .. using words like "great" and "quick" when it comes to it's web surfing is something I can't believe. I used several and tried to log on to ESPN.com and it was painfull. Unless you meant some basic web browsing not minding it's slow load up time then ok I get what you mean.

It's funny but I had a coworker buy one and he was trying to show it off and I raced him with my blackberry bold and won both in loading and surfing espn.com. All he kept on doing to show it off was play a movie and scroll back and forth to watch the icons slide ever so nicely.

It's a nice toy but I think anything with beefier specs and an Andriod or Rim platform will be way better. Especially since it will also be more for less money.

Quick Reply: ipad