NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

MMA fans

Old 12-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMA fans

I started watching MMA (UFC/WEC) a few years back and ever since I been kinda hooked. I wouldn't say I'm a die hard fan but I do enjoy watching a good ppv match like for instance; Lesnar vs Velasquez, Shogun vs Machida 1/2 and bunch of others. I would like to see an MMA match at the garden but I don't think thats gonna happen any time soon, I heard its to much violence? However, they seem to approve bull riding which looks painful for both the bull and the rider, go figure.

On a different note, while I was attending John Jay, I had some free judo lessons and also learned some jujitsu. Pretty freaking awesome and a great workout all together. Anybody here train in anything? (waiting for jokes)

Back to MMA, Anderson Silva should go down in weight or George Rush should go up in weight and fight each other. That would be a sweet match if it ever happens. Also Jose Aldo is gonna be unstoppable
Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM

Big MMA fan here too.

You won't see a UFC event at the Garden yet. NY State still needs to pass legislation to approve MMA. However, UFC 128: Shogun vs. Evans will be at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ on March 19th. It should be a really good card.

I currently train in BJJ. I love it, such a great workout.

Regarding GSP vs. A. Silva, GSP has a few more fights at 170 before he will go up in weight to fight A. Silva. He still needs to fight Jake Shields and possibly another match up with Jon Fitch (that is if Fitch beats BJ Penn). I am a huge GSP fan, but I think he will get destroyed by A. Silva. Silva is too big for GSP. Even if GSP moves up to middleweight (185lb limit), he will probably step in the ring at ~195lb, but A. Silva would probably be ~205-210 after he cuts to 185lb. But this "super-fight" won't happen anytime soon though. Because A. Silva still needs to fight Vitor Belfort on Feb 5th and if he beats Vitor and retains the Middleweight title, he is going to fight Yushin Okami, who is the #1 contender.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a fan. I watch whenever I see it on but I refuse to pay $50+ for a PPV. I save that $$$ for a Pacquiao's fight.

Whatever happen to Kimbo Slice and Mirko Cro Cop? Are they still fighting? Is Brock Lesnar quiting?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:18 PM

imma fan and i train , muy thai, pancration , submission wrestling been doing since 2006
Old 12-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

ultra huge fan here!!! been watching since it was underground and not as popular (before the Fertitta brohters owned it), and when dana had hair lol!!!! Been to about 15 UFC events (2 of which were in NY way back in the days), anyway the last like 5 ppv events have been junk! I called the lesnar fight i made some money on it too, I knew he would lose agianst Cain (Cain was the better fighter in that one) Anway what i really wanna see is a better middlewieght class it has been boring as of late. I would also LOVE to see dana acquire Alistair Cees Overeem!!!! you wanna talk about a ****** beast!!! I can talk fights all day its 1 of my passions from boxing to mma. Ive been training in Muay Thai, BBJ, and boxing for like 9 yrs now and I wrestled all thruout high school. And Ray in regerads to Mirko and and Kevin jhonson (Kimbo) I dont think Dana Is gonna re-up thier contracts. All those guys that have came from ova seas (PRIDE, K-1 etc) havent been doing to well in the UFC different rules and breed of fighters. And as far as WEC goes JOse aldo is a beast!! and so is Henderson
Old 12-29-2010, 03:51 AM

For a sec I thought I was the only MMA fan in metro, j/k.

A. Silva doesn't do well againt wrestlers and GSP is probably gonna use his wrestling skills on silva, but then again if he shoots for a leg or take down he might get clipped. I doubt gsp will stand an trade with silva, either way It'll be a really exciting match.

I really like BJ Penn but I think he needs to retire or start taking his opponents more serious and train like a madman. He lost twice against franky, the 2nd time was worst than the 1st. However I think if he would win against fitch if he brings his A game.

I doubt lesnar is quiting but I'm glad I didn't bet on that match. I really thought lesnar had the upper hand until he did a few cartwheels in the ring from that imaginary banana peel lol.

I tried muay thai as well but I injured my left knee and decided never to go back lol.

UFC fights are shown at some David and busters and bufflo wild wings for free, and you get to enjoy wings and beer.

I would like to see pacman fight mayweather, that's the only boxing match I'm interested in as of now.

Doesn't overeem fight MMA and K-1?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 AM

^ yeah overeem fights for k-1 and elite he's a beast dude!! You'll never see wayweather and pac-man fight.... Floyd wants delahoya money and he's no where worth it and plus right now he's got domestic problems and might end up in jail anyway... bj is my favorite fighter!!!!! And your right if he trains hard and is mentally ready he will be unbeatable! And he already did that years ago in the ufc that's why if left to go fight in pride! Anyway like I said I don't wanna Jack this thread cause I can go on and on lol
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im a big fan of Scorpion & Sub Zero
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by S2K DRIFTER,Dec 29 2010, 07:51 AM
I really like BJ Penn but I think he needs to retire or start taking his opponents more serious and train like a madman. He lost twice against franky, the 2nd time was worst than the 1st. However I think if he would win against fitch if he brings his A game.

Did you miss BJ's last fight with Matt Hughes? He destroyed Hughes in 21 seconds of the first round.

BJ's biggest problem is himself. He is just lazy and surrounded by "Yes" men. I was happy to see that he switched up his camp for the Hughes fight and obviously the switched paid off. No need to call for BJ's retirement this soon. He is still a Top 3 Lightweight and Top 10 Welterweight in the world.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 AM

^ true and he should've done the same to edgar!!! BUt he didn't! JUst like I mentioned earlier he either needs to get his head outta his Ass! OR just hang it before if ruins his legacy kinda like delahoya! He should've ended his career on a who not sitting on the chair in the corner.!!!!!!

Quick Reply: MMA fans