NYC Metro Off Topic All Off Topic Threads Go Here

Working Out

Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Working Out

been back in the gym for a while now training for some running events.

as for lifting i break up things into:
Shoulders
Arms
Back
Chest

I'd like to pair these together, i'm not looking for a program just keep it simple

work out Shoulders with arms? with back? with chest? etc.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I like to do shoulders with chest cause you can just use the cable machine for everything , arms and back cause I like to do pull ups both wide and tight and over under grips and that in itself kills alot of moving around from machine to machine, and I love rowing which is great for arms and back and as a bonus you get some legs in too, and with rowing you can also change the positioning of your grip again wide, tight, over, under, and both ova and under, but that's just me
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Or you can just watch jersey shore and do what they do
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually pair arms, chest, and shoulders together. First thing I do is the flat bench with the bar or maybe some independent pec fly’s, followed by free body/weighted dips, then its off to the free weights where I work biceps and shoulders. The next day I focus on all core muscles and also back and then lower body the day after.

I think it is good to pair arm workouts with chest workouts because it builds good stamina in your arms since they are involved in each exercise.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Good for you Andy. Maybe some light cardio? Just walking?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My all time favorite split is Push/Pull/Legs.

Do all pulling movements one day (working your back, traps, and biceps).
Then do all pushing movements next (working your chest, shoulders, triceps).

I guess with your goal, you can't limit leg workout.

If you haven't joined a gym yet, do so. It's not the same as working out in your own basement.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S~Factor
My all time favorite split is Push/Pull/Legs.

Do all pulling movements one day (working your back, traps, and biceps).
Then do all pushing movements next (working your chest, shoulders, triceps).

I guess with your goal, you can't limit leg workout.

If you haven't joined a gym yet, do so. It's not the same as working out in your own basement.
I'm getting back to the gym after a long hiatus (5yrs). Gained about 40lbs during the time off. I had to start working out again because I ran out of clothes that fit. I've made it back to the gym about 4 times in the past week. So I should be good for another 2+yrs off the gym. lol

I do the same splits as Ray. Mostly do compound movements, i.e. dead lifts / squats / bench / bent over rows ... etc. My goal is to slim down to Justin Bieber size so I can be competitive in cycling & karting.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM

LOL

It takes a lot of dedication to go month after month, year after year. I would usually go a year and half and life would happen and stop for a few years. Then you get the itch to get in shape and go at it again. Then stop again. It's a cycle. lol

Right now, it has been the longest stretch for me, 2 years, 4 months, and counting. />
Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by S~Factor
If you haven't joined a gym yet, do so. It's not the same as working out in your own basement. />
I'll disagree with that Ray, depending on where you live, driving to and from the gym could be a deterrent from going to the gym.

For me to drive to the closest gym, that's 30 minute of drive time. Flip side is riding or walking to the gym then you're too tired to work out.

I like people who drive to go walk or run on a treadmill. Whats wrong with walking your neighborhood?

All I'm saying is, don't be so quick to spend $$ on a gym membership.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by freq
I'll disagree with that Ray, depending on where you live, driving to and from the gym could be a deterrent from going to the gym.

For me to drive to the closest gym, that's 30 minute of drive time. Flip side is riding or walking to the gym then you're too tired to work out.

I like people who drive to go walk or run on a treadmill. Whats wrong with walking your neighborhood?

All I'm saying is, don't be so quick to spend $$ on a gym membership.
Yeah 30 minutes away is a bit far. Find something closer and somewhat convenient to get to, otherwise you will end up just not going.

Quick Reply: Working Out