Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Another day in the office...sort of

Old 08-22-2002, 09:00 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Another day in the office...sort of

And I thought work was boring.

I'm on the upper floor of the company building - it's a two-story building with three shop areas, all with big bays for trucks and other company vehicles. These bays are often left open for extended periods of time as the forklifts go in and out throughout the day, etc, etc.

My office area can be accessed by a set of stairs at the back of one of the bays. I was sitting in my cubicle calmly reading on here when the secretary came up and asked if I'd heard anyone. I said I hadn't, but what exactly did she mean? Why would I think anything if I heard someone (heaven forbid I hear someone at work! ). She said, "Jim's computer just got stolen from his office and Lindsay is out chasing him!"

Our building has been burglarized twice in the past with computers and audio-visual gear being stolen each time. Evidently it was the same guy because he knew right where to go to grab this computer. Keep in mind that this is at 10am and there are people walking around, working, etc, etc, EVERYWHERE.

Apparently, the guy just walked into the bay, up the stairs, entered Jim's office (around the corner from me, out of my sight) and took his laptop and power cords! He then walked out with the laptop in his hand, but on the way Lindsay said "How's it going?" to him. He ignored Lindsay and walked a bit faster, so Lindsay said it again...and again the guy sped up. Lindsay shouted at him and the guy took off. Within 50 feet he dropped the laptop (Lindsay was running after him, shouting "I'm right behind you! I'm gonna get you!" - Lindsay is about 5'6" with legs about as long as my shins) and then another 200 feet or so he dropped the power supply (hoping Lindsay would stop, I guess). Lindsay didn't, so the guy kept going, running right through another building close by, right through the offices and out the warehouse area in back!

He kept going (by this time a few other guys had started chasing him) and was eventually cornered. He pulled a knife so they backed off and he started sprinting again. He was pretty fast as he left them pretty far behind, eventually getting away cleanly. He did throw the knife up on a building, though - not exactly smart.

The funny part is that he ran right by a donut shop where a news team was getting coffee. They pulled out the camera and followed the chase, managing to get AHEAD of the guy before he came out of yet another building and filmed him fully as he burst out the front doors ten feet away! Not only that, but they got the license plate and description of the getaway van. Talk about a day of hard luck for the thieves.

Needless to say, the building was buzzing for the next few hours. The cops where here (K-9 unit, ID unit, three squad cars, two vans, an Explorer) and also around the area, trying to find the guy. They already have the van positively ID'd, but it was recently sold and hasn't yet been registered again. I don't think it'll take them long to get names and IDs on the rest of the people involved.

It was funny because I hopped in my car and all I could see along the way were guys peering out of the warehouses and buildings, trying to see the guy and the action. About ten guys where chasing the thief by the end of it, with at least three vehicles in the running as well. Modern day posse?
Old 08-22-2002, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the police can get fingerprints fromthe knife and find him that way.

Weird.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:09 AM

there's no justice like 'angry mob' justice...
Old 08-22-2002, 09:17 AM

They might get prints from the knife if the guys that went up on the roof to get it didn't touch it (civilians, not police officers). Who knows? If the guy has no record, they'll have a hard time finding him by prints alone. That said, prints will help later if they actually get a suspect.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:18 AM

funny story....lmao especially the news crew joining in and giving chase
Old 08-22-2002, 09:19 AM

Lindsay (the co-worker) actually had a piece of 2x6 with nails in the end that he picked up along the way. Didn't want to hit the guy though because he was scared of a lawsuit (even though the guy had a knife pulled on them). He's got a lot of vehicles and a couple houses so he has a lot to lose. Man, I hate "justice" these days - while I don't agree with mob justice, it does get the job done. They just tend to hang the right with the wrong eventually....
Old 08-22-2002, 09:54 AM
Former Moderator

this is just like in the movies...one person starts chasing...then more...then more...
Old 08-22-2002, 10:14 AM

Yup. All we needed were a few horses, or at least a 4x4 with big tires and suspension (chasing the guy down the railroad tracks). Oh, and guns....lots of guns.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by JonBoy
All we needed were a few horses. . .
I have two horses--Arabs--and they love to run. They're not very big, but they're fast.

(My gelding was chasing a Thoroughbred up a series of switchbacks a few weeks ago. The Thoroughbred is about 6" taller than my Arab, and we matched him stride for stride.)

The former owner of our mare used to hunt on horseback, so she'd be fine with any shooting required.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:27 AM

Can I have her? Pleeeeaaaase? Arabs are beautiful - I was looking at some that were up for stud service in Europe and they're valued at over $1M.

My wife loves horses - she's always saying how we'll DEFINITELY get them if we ever buy a house in the country. She thinks they're not THAT much work, but we all know who'll be mucking out the stalls in the mornings after she gets pregnant and has kids.

Quick Reply: Another day in the office...sort of