Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Any dog owners around?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any dog owners around?

My family is considering adding a new member to the family. We are looking into a small to medium sized dog, possibly something like a Jack Russell (not really an option due to the amount of attention required) or a German Shepherd mix. Which breed do you own and which would you suggest? Thanks for your time!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

rescue a mutt...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a pit and a lab/rott mix, i recommend getting a real dog instead of a lil yappy chick dog
Old 09-11-2009, 09:40 AM

I have a mini dachshund. He's not a barker although he will bark at new people he meets at home for like 30 seconds until he sniffs you. About 15 lbs and playful, the only downside is he is lazy and stubborn occasionally. You know what they say about dogs and how they are like their owners...

You be surprised what dogs you'll find at the pound. My friend got a Huskey with blue eyes @ a pound in NJ. Other than thinking she is a lap dog, she's not any trouble at all.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNJ,Sep 11 2009, 09:10 AM
rescue a mutt...
Amen!

Almost three years ago my wife decided that our cat needed some companionship, so she looked on the animal shelter website for a couple of kittens. On Friday evening we went to the shelter where she picked out one and did the paperwork. It was closing time, so we planned to return Saturday morning to find the other one.

Before we drove over there Saturday morning she went to the website again and, for some reason, decided to look at the stray dogs that had been brought in recently. One was listed as a 4-year-old, purebred, tri-color, rough collie.

Well, as she was standing in line to do the paperwork on the second kitten, she told me to go look at this collie. He was gorgeous! He had mats in his fur the size of softballs, and a look on his face like, "I don't know what I did. I'm sorry. Please get me out of here."

The upshot is that we now own three cats and a collie; our Jack Russell Terrier died a little over a year ago after being attacked by a coyote.

Collies are fantastic dogs. They're fiercely loyal, will protect the family, and will herd the kids like sheep. (A collie we had years ago when our boys were young would squeeze between them when they were squabbling; he was so tall that they couldn't reach each other over him.) If you can find a collie or a collie mix at the animal shelter, get it.

Good luck! (We expect pictures when you bring the new one home!)
Old 09-11-2009, 09:49 AM

we own a few yorkies.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rescue a mutt ftw.

my family found a couple of dogs one day and one of them ended up being pregnant and had puppies. i took one of the puppies and she's now my dog, she's super cool!!

besides, i think mutts have more of a personality
Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNJ,Sep 11 2009, 09:10 AM
rescue a mutt...
ditto, my gf worked at a veterinary hospital, and "purebred" basically means "inbred" and all the troubles that come with that, dumber, weaker, far more prone to sickness/injuries, and lead shorter lives. genetically speaking, your far better off with an animal of mixed breed parentage, survival of the fittest baby!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNJ,Sep 11 2009, 01:10 PM
rescue a mutt...

I rescued my cat 6 years ago, and about a year ago I finally got my australian shepherd. (medium sized dog, but very active.) I looked for months at different rescues and finally got my baby.

Even if you're looking for a puppy, I'm sure your local SPCA will have them.

here's a local rescue in your area: http://www.adoptapet.com/shelter9825-pets.html

Or you can check Petfinder

Many shelters temperment test, and will already know if a dog is good around kids, cats, etc. Most rescues already have their animals in foster care as well.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KNJ,Sep 11 2009, 12:10 PM
rescue a mutt...
only dog i've really owned was a pure bred golden, great dog, we paid a ton for it but again great dog.

my girl is big on rescues so she went to PetSmart andcame back with a 50 pound lab mix...

Only info we had was it came from GA where they kill dogs and somehow she came to a no kill shelter in NJ.

The mix is pit and maybe chow with the lab and equals a good sized dog but not too big, to our surprize she listens very well is trainable, a good watch dog. She was by far the best in her dog training class and is starting agility training. She's got some hunting dog in her since she points at any critters we see on the walk and has a way of coming over and leaning on you while she sits on your feet. Really sweet dog.

She's a great rescue, can't believe nobody wanted her or gave her a chance. We get compliments on her all the time.

Quick Reply: Any dog owners around?