Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Any dog owners around?

Old 09-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful with dachshunds, many of them are yappy. They bark like a big dog despite being small in size.

My family has a LOT of terriers (silky terriers), they are great pets but can get jealous of people who go near their owners and every now and then one of them is super jealous and gets snappy at other dogs.

I have a pug, and I couldn't reccomend a dog breed more strongly. Cute little puppy, when I take her walking I ALWAYS get cute girls coming up to me and wanting to pat her

She is actually a great dog as well, super funny, energetic (when you are), playful, smart, afraid of nothing, friendly with EVERYONE (including other huge dogs and random people). They are really incredible little dogs.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Morris,Sep 11 2009, 12:00 PM
Not all breeders are bad. Do some research. Mine is very careful to use different stud dogs from all over the US, and avoid displacia and other problems. See my second GS at left. She is now 9 and no hip problems. She's very loving, good watch dog, but is a stubborn female. (also nearly 100 lbs.) Here she is with her boyfriend.

But I agree, rescue one from the pound.
I recognize those GSD expressions Theyre listening pretty good what did you say to get that pic, I GSD's

They are not the dog for everyone. To the OP I reccomend a book called "Paws to consider" I think everyone should give this book a look before they adopt/purchase a dog .

Here is my boy he is an 8year old german shepherd dog (he has German lines so he is a little bigger then most of his American counter parts )

I just took this the other day
He is my baby and Im constantly taking pics of him
Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Go the rescue dog route. My father-in-law has had 2 Golden's and they have had nothing but problems with them. The first one had real bad hip problems and there latest one is just sick all the time. It seems like that have about 6 good years then fall apart.

I have 2 dogs. We have 2 dogs at a time because I think they keep each other company and have someone to play with. Always females because of what was already stated they don't lift there leg and pee on everything.

Jennie is a 10 year old mutt and was purchased for $40.00 out of a card board box. We had her litter mate sister but she passed almost a year ago. She is very loyal and a great watch dog for her size. She is about 17 pounds and a great lap dog.

Our newest addition is our 11 month old Jazmin. She is a Red Heeler also known as a Australian Cattle. We had all intentions of getting a rescue dog but my wife's uncle breads them as working farm dogs and once we saw her we had to have her.
Jaz is about 35 pounds and also tries to be a lap dog. This is a very active bread and isn't a dog that can be locked up in the house all day at work. She is probably smarter then most people I know.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest looking at your lifestyle and what you want out of a dog, then look through the AKC web site and the different types of dog and their general behavior and disposition.
By your description " ...like a Jack Russell (not really an option due to the amount of attention required) ..." sounds to me like you don't want a high energy dog. For example a lab, while they are great dogs (I have a yellow one) they are very high energy and require a lot of play and exercise time. If you don't have the time or attention to give the dog it will become unruly and a pain. The last thing you want to do is get a dog that you regret and have to take it to the pound or worse. So please do your homework and realize that this is a long term commitment.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only dogs I ever had were Goldens. The second one was rescued and he was the smartest, most affectionate dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I would definitely go rescue. I'm thinking of adopting an English Bulldog within the next year or so.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNJ,Sep 11 2009, 09:10 AM
rescue a mutt...
yes, get one from the pound, I got my reilly from the pound 3 years ago and he is one of the best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. reilly is a black lab/dalmatian mix and is so laid back sometimes you have to jab him with a stick to make sure he is alive
Old 09-12-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 430 Likes on 302 Posts

This is Chewbacca. A now 15 year old purebred Keeshond. Never heard of the breed before I researched and decided he was just what I wanted. For me, a perfect dog. Its basically the smallest of the sled dogs and native to Holland. They are very fluffy and are often confused with a Chow by people who see him. Sled dogs like malamute, huskies, and keeshonds don't have the same oil glands that other dogs have so they have less dog smell.

I looked for a dog that was medium size (mine is 30 pounds) good tempered, smart, and had some athletic ability. Keeshonds have won frisbee championships and are good at agility competition but I just wanted a dog that could participate in my active lifestyle. Its great if you are ever going to have kids around because they would not hurt a fly and they love everybody. And I am constantly amazed at how smart he is. Maybe not austrailian shepard smart but pretty close.

Down side of the breed (as every breed has some) they have lots of hair and need to be brushed. They shed some but it is much easier to clean up after than a short haired shedding dog like a lab. They make a good watchdog but not gaurd dog. Meaning they like to make noise but they would not hurt anyone. They are not the best equiped for extreme high temperatures and need water and shade in above 85 degree weather. They love the snow and don't want to come inside even if it is below zero.

When this one is gone I am getting one or two more. For me, its a perfect breed. I would really also like and english bulldog, but the downside there is a generally short lifespan.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM
3en

I have had dachsunds, a sib husky, a sharpei/pitbull mix, and a beagle/basset hound mix.
Dachsunds
pros- loyal, small, dont shed(short-haired), good burglar alarm, very smart and easy to train
cons- yappy, very defensive of owners, long backs can cause problems later in life.
Siberian Husky
Pros- Very smart, Playful, affectionate, easy to teach tricks too. Very pretty
cons- Very smart, escape artists(8 foot fences are easy for them to clear), Strong willed, shed, Destructive when they get bored.Crappy guard dogs. They will show thieves where the best stuff is and the easiest way to escape.
Mutts-
Pros- Usually sweet, smart, laid back
cons- sometimes can be skittish, not the best guard dogs, Goofy looking.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fsunole1,Sep 11 2009, 11:11 PM
...... please do your homework and realize that this is a long term commitment.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chubby Ninja,Sep 13 2009, 01:39 PM
I have had dachsunds, a sib husky, a sharpei/pitbull mix, and a beagle/basset hound mix.
Dachsunds
pros- loyal, small, dont shed(short-haired), good burglar alarm, very smart and easy to train
cons- yappy, very defensive of owners, long backs can cause problems later in life.
Siberian Husky
Pros- Very smart, Playful, affectionate, easy to teach tricks too. Very pretty
cons- Very smart, escape artists(8 foot fences are easy for them to clear), Strong willed, shed, Destructive when they get bored.Crappy guard dogs. They will show thieves where the best stuff is and the easiest way to escape.
Mutts-
Pros- Usually sweet, smart, laid back
cons- sometimes can be skittish, not the best guard dogs, Goofy looking.
weenie dogs are cool, my dog is a mix between a french bulldog and i believe a dachsund (i know for a fact that mom is a french bulldog) she has a long body and floppy ears.

she's super loyal, really sweet, but a horrible guard dog, she'll bark but she'll hide behind me and tremble lol

Quick Reply: Any dog owners around?