Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Any engineers out there?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a physicist, does that count? Not great pay but as a professor I have a LOT of freedom, no annoying bosses, get to travel to interesting places and (most importantly) get paid to do something I love every day. It's a long, hard climb, but for me it was definitely worth it. Whatever you end up doing, my advice is to do what you love - there's more to life than money and you'll be happier in the long run

Not gonna knock the anti-PhD people, but I'd like to offer a different perspective. If you love research and want some freedom to choose your direction, it's the only way to go. If you want to teach, obviously it's the only way to go. And while you'll make (a LOT) less in your 20s, you'll end up making more, doing more satisfying work, in the long run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Civil Engineer here that graduated from Purdue University.

I took the longer route in that I left school for a year to do a co-op. Best damn thing I could have ever done. I got paid to go work in a power plant and learn hands on at 21 years old. (24 now) With that knowledge I was able to return to school with much more of a fire and know exactly how I wanted to use my degree.

I am now a Civil/ Structural Engineer with my Engineer in Training (EIT) hoping to start school for an MBA in a year and earn my Professional Engineer (PE) as well as my Structural Engineer (SE) after 4 years. The PE and SE are more or less board certifications and can be placed between "preferred" and "expected" for a Civil Engineer. I love my job as a civil because I get to go to the office on a daily basis, (ie stay close to home and not have to travel from work site to work site that is in the middle of BFE) and then travel to the field every so often and see what I am actually designing be built.

Obviously you need to go with something you are passionate about. I told my dad before I left for college that I wanted to be a Mechanical Engineer so that I could go work in the automotive industry (Mechanical Aerodynamics intrigued me) and my dad told me to choose a different path so that I wasn't turning my hobby into work. (This was to preserve my love of my hobby.) It has worked for me and I love ripping into my car after work and on weekends as well as racing it during warmer months.

Hope this helps.

Little engineering joke that I like.

To an optimist the glass is half full,
to a pessimist the glass is half empty,
to an engineer the glass is twice the size in needs to be.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently double-majoring in Chinese and Aerospace Engineering. So, not an engineer yet, but I'll be joining you all before too long!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Are there any lift/elevator engineers over there in the US?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1389060253' post='22952971
but than again what career path has high pay without much work.
Wall Street if you can stomach being a treacherous crook in an industry that serves only itself and harms the rest of the nation.
high pay without much work? The bankers i know are all very smart, from top schools, & work like dogs. I do not envy them lol. Wall street isn't an easy job like some people like to make it out to be.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1389060253' post='22952971
couldn't that be said about engineering? long hours + tons of studying for mediocre pay? but than again what career path has high pay without much work.
Doctors tend to work way longer hours than engineers, especially initially. On a per-hour basis, they don't get paid nearly as well as one might think.

I put in an eight hour day every day - that's it. I almost never have to stay late and I'm the head of engineering (ie, a typical position that WOULD require extra hours in most industries). I don't know any doctors that never have to work long shifts or overtime UNLESS they own their own clinic. Even then, they tend to put in extra hours as they have to doctor at their clinic, then also take care of other aspects (paperwork, bills, maintenance, employee issues, etc, etc). And, as stated, I make about the same as a general practitioner in Canada and I know I'm putting in way less hours.
Depends on the doctor, just like it depends on the type of engineer (Also depends on location. Canada is totally different). Here in NY engineers do not make much & have low job security from what I've seen. My sister is an ER Doctor and works 10 12 hour shifts a month for $250k+. That's just starting as a first year attending. Even after loan payments thats a lot of money. Even GPs in the US are making decent $/hour. Most hospitals do 7 days on 7 days off. 14 10 hour shifts usually/month (under 40 hours/week.) For about $150k.

In the US the doctors that own their own clinics are the ones who work like dogs for crappy pay

My uncle, an electrical engineer of 30 years, barely pulls in $100k, works longer hours (b.c of layoffs) and is worried about his job.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

In Alberta, engineers with 3-yrs experience are making $80K-$90K (in the capital city, not out in the field or in some remote area). Engineers with 10 yrs experience are pulling in $150K+ base salary with total benefits/pay nearing $200K.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently in school for Electrical Engineering (specialization control systems). Not sure if I made the right decision picking that over Mechanical. Any insights regarding Electrical Engineering career path and whatnot? Any advice?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
In Alberta, engineers with 3-yrs experience are making $80K-$90K (in the capital city, not out in the field or in some remote area). Engineers with 10 yrs experience are pulling in $150K+ base salary with total benefits/pay nearing $200K.
Comparing pay of a place that has what like 4-5 million people? Doesn't really compare. Salary is very regional dependent. Even tho ny metro is suppose to have higher salaries, doctors and engineers both get paid less here.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm not sure your point. I was merely stating what they can make here. That's it.

GP here makes about $175K, give or take, depending on what they do and how hard they work.

Quick Reply: Any engineers out there?