Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Any Momma's boys or spoiled people here?

Old 08-06-2003, 06:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Any Momma's boys or spoiled people here?

1 - People who were spoiled as kids....... do they continue to expect to be spoiled all their life?

2 - People who were spoiled as kids.....do they spoil their own kids...???

Just curious..... I was the opposite of spoiled (i had to buy klondike bars from my dad when i was about 8 years old, i had to pay rent to use his lawn mower to mow neighbors grasses, had to pay 1/2 of the cable bill because it was my idea (age 14), never saw a dime of the $ that was given to me as a small baby...you know.."it is in the college fund"..which got spent on a car for the old man..., etc.......).....

My kids are semi-spoiled.....but they don't act like little snotty brats...they just have lots of stupid stuff (go-cart, motorcycles, trampoline, etc....)...

But I don't want to turn them into snobby little bastards who are going to suck as parents.....

Any opinions???
Old 08-06-2003, 06:22 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was spoiled as a kid, but I worked ever since I was 12.. if I wanted something, I had to work for it, then my parents paid the rest.. my contribution was usually minimal, but I learned the lessons.

I turned out alright, I always knew the value of money and my posessions, and I think that was key.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:13 PM

i think its ok to spoil them as long as they are good kids. if they deserve it why not? i do everything my parents ask me to and in return they get me what i want. not to say if i didnt get what i wanted i wouldnt listen to them but i beleive if the kids live well they will strive harder in school so they can live the same lifesyle when they are older and spoil their own kids as well
Old 08-06-2003, 10:01 PM

I'm 18, My dad cooks, does laundry, cleans. All I do is clean cars, clean room and clean computer area which is where I spend most of my time! At college they will feed me. It's up to me to decide to do my laundry or wear stuff inside out the next day! BTW I take 2 showers a day so I HAVE to be clean.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Christople
or wear stuff inside out the next day!
BACON STRIPS ON THE OUTSIDE!!??

To respond to Scot:

1. Not necessarily, depends on the person.
2. Not necessarily, depends on the person.

We are a product of our environment and "parents" are only one aspect of that environment these days.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:29 PM

I'm spoiled, my brother is worse, my sister is worstest. Right now, we're screwed. We'll see after college...
Old 08-06-2003, 10:52 PM

I'm the only son after 9 years marriage and the first male grandchildren so i'm spoiled (by my parents and grandpa)
I have three credit cards when I was 14 and a new car every year since 16 untill now, travelled wherever and whenever i'd like to(if my parent don't buy it for me my grandpa will buy me one)
However I turned out to be okay; graduated from college, got a job, no drugs, pay my bills.

I think it's all depend on the person and the norm you were taught since childhood.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm a bit old, but would they want to adopt another grandkid?

Old 08-07-2003, 02:53 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

this entire thing started with my dad...he was totally spoiled.... and even today...he is 64 years old...it is still "all about him".... with two pieces of bacon left and 2 grandkids...... 1 of my son's asks if he can have a piece.... i say yes.... .then my dad quickly grabs the other one and eats it...while my oldest son stares in disbelief...

when we sit down to eat, my dad is almost done by the time we can all get done "serving" him... then we eat and he is done and looking for us to serve desert.

If he has a headache (which is probably crap..just an excuse to be a dick), the other 5 of us (his wife and my entire family) have to tip toe around his house.

I am to the point of not going to visit him at his house.... as he says... "IT IS MY HOUSE, I'LL DO WHAT I WANT".... he is 64, but acts like 12 at times......

So...basically I did not want my kids to turn into him when they are older! at age 26 he had 2 corvettes and a GTO but was working as a "assistant teacher"...my grandfather was megarich back then...... but he remarried the wrong person and she changed the will.... so when he died my dad got nothing.......

sorry about the life story.... i just wanted to make sure my kids aren't grumpy old a-holes when they get older.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...bacon strips!!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 AM

Spoiled to a point. (I'm Korean and this was how I was brought up)
My Dad wanted me to learn the value of a $1. We have "old money" that I didn't know about until very recently.
He would buy us (5 kids) only the things that we needed. When we got older he bought all of us brand new cars at age 16-18, but there was a catch. We all had jobs but didn't see a penny off of our paychecks. It went straight into His bank account. He would give us allowances, but not too much just enough to get through.
School always came first, then job, then social life. And, I think I turned out pretty well. "Thanks Dad". Because I wasn't spoiled w/ all the little things in life (like toys, electronics, etc.) I want to spoil my kids (whenever I have them someday) and I currently spoil my friends and family somewhat.

My Father past away 2 years ago w/ health complications. If He was still alive today, I would spoil him so much. We tried to spoil him as much as we could while he was still w/ us, but he just wanted us to be happy.

Let your Father be who he is if that's what make him happy, and same for your kids... My 2 cents.

LT

Quick Reply: Any Momma's boys or spoiled people here?