Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Anyone here have a Crown Lengthening done? (Dental Question)

Old 07-13-2001, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here have a Crown Lengthening done? (Dental Question)

I found out that I need to have a "crown lengthening" done....
Anyone know what they do?
From what I can gather, they cut the gums, peel them back, grind down some bone, lay the gums back on and trim accordingly...
All I can say is that I'm going to really hate the end of this month!
Old 07-13-2001, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea I had one done. you can't get it done at the dentist, an oral surgeon must do the procedure. not sure how long it takes, because well, I (and you) will be entirely knocked out and need to have someone take you and pick you up at the surgeon.

what is done, yes, the gumline is taken down, because there is a tolerance on the gumline to attach itself to 'real tooth' and if you are getting a crown that goes down pretty far, it will need to be increased, because gum tissue cannot make contact to the crown itself since its synthetic - thus, if you didn't get it done, your gum would probably open up, and all sorts of infections / gum diseases would start.

and btw, why do I know this stuff? I had a gf for well over a year that was a dentist, and dont even think you have had an intimate relationship with your significant other until they have given you AT LEAST TWO root canals!

p.s. - yes you are correct about the process, and it sounds quite sick, but not to worry, there's no pain involved even when you wake up.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:41 AM

thanks for the reassurance

I was really worried about the "peeling the gums back" part...just makes me wince thinking about it!

The oral surgeon guy was offering me a chance for him to prescribe something to calm me down before I arrive for the appointment. I declined saying I'll be fine as long as they poke the needle, squirt the novacane, and LET IT WORK without going further in. He said that if I change my mind, just give him a call
Old 07-13-2001, 09:50 AM

I dont like dentists, wait, no I mean I dont like going to the dentist as do most people, but the 'filing down the bone' part really got me irking! ack! that's just....not pleasant sounding. but you'll get there in the morning, after staying up late at night playing gt3, you'll already be tired, you'll plop down on the chair and they'll put you under and next thing you'll know, you'll remember maybe a wheel chair, maybe getting out of the car, not much else - again, have someone help you get home, there's really no other way you'll get home. and just remember, gt3 will be there for you when you get back to reality. (that is, of course, if you have gt3, right?)
Old 07-13-2001, 09:58 AM

yeah good thought!
hehehe I will play a real late night of GT3...go to sleep, have someone take me in, and when I come back to reality, play more GT3
Old 07-13-2001, 11:38 PM

I had it done, the results are amazing, it can really take care of a gummy smile, or gums that arent aligned properly.
Old 07-14-2001, 09:04 PM

mine is my left top rearmost molar...they want to do a crown-lengthening because my gumline comes up to the top of the tooth (almost)....I'm just getting the heebie-jeebiez just thinkin' about it...being knocked unconscious....That is what Nirtous Oxide does to ya right? just knocks you out? or does it just make you laugh, everything distant, even pain, and you're awake and alert?
Old 07-15-2001, 09:30 AM

oh not to worry you'll be knocked out via IV, not just a mask.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:56 PM

If they offer just the mask, should I ask for the IV instead?

I don't know if they will do the IV, this is a backwoods state anyways! heheheh just kidding to all you Idahoans! I'm a NATIVE, lived here 20 out of 27 years of my life!

I talked with my dad today, who said "oh yeah, that IV stuff is great...they'll shoot it in your veins, you be out in 4 seconds, and the next thing you know, you'll be awake"

I'm kinda nervous about the "going unconscious" part...Even when drinking heavily I've never been unconscious (came close)...

Maybe I should go to WebMD or something....
Old 07-29-2001, 09:55 PM

Well I thought I'd bring this topic back up and give an update....
It's T minus 34 hours and I'm having a panic attack!

I'm getting the IV stuff...they said that "you won't be unconcious, but You won't care about anything"...And they'll do local ana-whatever-numbing-word.

I've got my meds, just waiting to take them...it's Percocet...I've heard that it's as high as you can get and still be legal!

I'm just really not looking forward to the whole thing...It's the thought of sliced gums and grinding bone that freaks the hell outta me! And needles...

I don't know if I'll get any sleep tonight and especially tomorrow night! I'm going to be a nervous wreck!

Anyways...I MIGHT be online this week to post and chat...SO, for any posts that I might make, I apologize if I offend or severely confuse anyone (which the latter will be most likely)

After all this is said and done, I'm on the road to recovery and (FINALLY) saving up for a down payment on an S2000!

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a Crown Lengthening done? (Dental Question)