Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

best mp3 ripper?

Old 06-26-2003, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real one player and windows media player
Old 06-26-2003, 04:10 PM

Can't beat MusicMatch for ease of use, cataloging, burning ease, tagging, etc.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by petraidm
Real one player and windows media player
how the hey do you make mp3s with those.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:48 PM

Sorry, Windows Media Player only makes WMAs

Real One Player it's under the tools menu (i.e. Save CD Tracks .... converts on the CD to mp3 and copies to where you specify and burn CD burns a CD)
Old 06-26-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by seung
oh, i think sometimes it loses some quality... some range? signal?
i dunno any of those digital music terms but
sometimes some parts of the music sounds diff. from original cd.
like, the voice changes like robots from 60's sci- fi movies.
why is that?
MP3 is a "lossy" compressed format. Some of the information in the original signal is not encoded/played back. At low bitrates you can hear clear artifacts, especially on broad spectrum signals like applause. Turn up the bitrate if it sounds too crap for you.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:33 PM

If you are looking for quality, check out http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Old 06-27-2003, 07:15 AM

Seung,
Naishou is correct...there's a quality slider, move it to the 'right' if you aren't satisfied with the audio quality. Its optimized for a compromise between quality and size by default (128k bps), sliding it to the right will improve the quality of the MP3s dramatically at the expensive of file-size.

-- Aaron
Old 06-27-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by robw01
If you are looking for quality, check out http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
From their webpage:

Support for the BladeEnc DLL that is usable like an ACM Codec for online MP3 compression

Q:
I want to compress audio tracks to MP3s, what do I need besides from EAC?

A:
Remember that EAC does not supply a MP3 codec; you may use the LAME, Gogo or the BladeEnc DLL's (or FAAC Dll for AAC compression) by copying them into the same directory where you copied EAC. Then you will be able to choose the installed DLLs in the compression option dialog box. Of course the quality of MP3 is based on the encoder and the bitrate you use. Beside the DLLs you could also specify external command line compressors that will be executed after an entire track was read (and not on-the-fly).

Notice it integrates/uses the LAME encoder... the EXACT same encoder that Musicmatch, etc... and MY encoder use. Thus-- they ALL have the SAME EXACT quality.

-- Aaron
Old 06-27-2003, 07:35 AM

Aaron,

Maybe you can clear something up for me. I use the LAME encoder along with software called Audiograbber. When I go into configure the settings and choose a constant bit rate file, it gives me two sets of options besides just the bit rate. Check this pic:

Which one of the stereos do I want to pick? Is Dual Stereo better than just plain Stereo? It's been a while, but last time I tried to read up and figure it out on my own, I was just plain confused. Since you know a bit about LAME, do you have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-29-2003, 07:04 PM

As per the LAME documentation:
(http://lame.sourceforge.net/)

stereo mode(s):
Joint-stereo is the default mode for stereo files with VBR when -V is more than 4 or fixed bitrates of 160kbs or less. At higher fixed bitrates or higher VBR settings, the default is stereo.

stereo
In this mode, the encoder makes no use of potentially existing correlations between the two input channels. It can, however, negotiate the bit demand between both channel, i.e. give one channel more bits if the other contains silence or needs less bits because of a lower complexity.

joint stereo
In this mode, the encoder will make use of a correlation between both channels. The signal will be matrixed into a sum ("mid"), computed by L+R, and difference ("side") signal, computed by L-R, and more bits are allocated to the mid channel.
This will effectively increase the bandwidth if the signal does not have too much stereo separation, thus giving a significant gain in encoding quality.

Using mid/side stereo inappropriately can result in audible compression artifacts. To much switching between mid/side and regular stereo can also sound bad. To determine when to switch to mid/side stereo, LAME uses a much more sophisticated algorithm than that described in the ISO documentation, and thus is safe to use in joint stereo mode.

forced joint stereo
This mode will force MS joint stereo on all frames. It's slightly faster than joint stereo, but it should be used only if you are sure that every frame of the input file has very little stereo separation.

dual channels
In this mode, the 2 channels will be totally indenpendently encoded. Each channel will have exactly half of the bitrate. This mode is designed for applications like dual languages encoding (ex: English in one channel and French in the other). Using this encoding mode for regular stereo files will result in a lower quality encoding.

mono
The input will be encoded as a mono signal. If it was a stereo signal, it will be downsampled to mono. The downmix is calculated as the sum of the left and right channel, attenuated by 6 dB.