Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Blackberry

Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Blackberry

so i'm considering getting a blackberry and wanted feedback from current Blackberry users. I've found from some Bay Area members that they prefer the Treo 650, although i have no clue what that is.... i'd still like feedback on it also...
So what's ur feedback on each? Which would you chose? and Why?

Just a lil note for the record.. i like simple easy to use stuff, which is why i still have a 4 year old Nokia that cost me $20 but is my favorite phone ever. I bought a fancy flip phone a couple years ago and hated it cuz too complicated, i ended up wasting $250 and went back to using my cheap Nokia.

Call history is important to me, and also Internet and email access and easy to use planner, and needless to say, common phone functions.. i DON'T want something that's gonna be slow, complicated and crap reception.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM

if the imporatnt stuff the main reason for getting one than get which ever.. i have a cheap one and i love the email features. you might hav a purse so it may be easier for u to carry ur berry.. i on the other hand dont and hate its size. email is the only reason i kept it
Old 08-09-2005, 07:46 PM

i'm trying to elimiate a purse from the picture. i like to travel light and as of the last year cut my make up use down to only when i go out with my BF. so basically, i carry a little wristlet that carries my phone, car key and credit cards. i'm hoping a blackberry will fit in it. otherwise, does it have a belt hook that i can connect it to or something?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:50 PM

yea but it looks like a large belt buckle around your waist.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 PM

ugh.. perhaps i can live with it...
Old 08-09-2005, 08:56 PM

I have a Blackberry 7100t (link to 7100t) with T-Mobile. I don't really use any of the features besides email all that much. Even without a full keyboard typing becomes second nature pretty quickly. And if you like the intuitive typing then you can really fly. The 7100t keeps every call and email and message of whatever type in a historical log. I don't know if there is a limit to the log, but mine starts at July 20th when I got the phone up to today. The web browser is ok if you want to check on easy stuff like weather or sports scores. Hitting the s2ki forums would be a pain in the ass. I'm sure the Treo would be much better for that with the stylus. As for planner functions I'm sure the Treo is better, too. Again, the stylus will offer a lot of advantages to filling out tasks and whatnot in a calendar.

I don't know if it's the phone or my cell carrier, but I have excellent reception even underground in the subway stations of Boston when some of my friends get zero signal. This phone sounds better than any previous Samsung or Motorola clamshell phone I've owned. Then again those weren't exactly top shelf, either.

Email is nice with the BB. You get a Blackberry alias where you can foward all your mail from various outside accounts. So you can get all your hotmail, gmail, etc all pushed to your BB.

The 7100t comes with a holster that will automatically shutoff the screen to conserve battery. It also has various functions that can be manipulated in profiles so that the phone behaves differently while in the holster instead of out.

All in all it's a good phone for me to use as a primary phone and to keep an eye on email. If I really needed better web functionality or more advanced organizer features I'd probably have to step up to a Treo 650 or something like it.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:21 PM

i've kept up to a month of history log before i decide to erase it including emails and i had lots.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:04 AM

I have the BB 6280. Using Cingular as the carrier reception is great. The GPRS is compatable world wide. Use for e-mails, appointments, great to sync with PC address book. Access the web as needed.
Nice to combine the phone and PDA into one unit.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by mns2k,Aug 10 2005, 04:04 AM
The GPRS is compatable world wide.
GPRS will not work in Korea and Japan. They have totally different wireless infrastructures in those countries. Also, India has very spotty coverage.

Hopefully the Treo 650 is better at browsing than the 600.... the 600 I tested for a month crashed and rebooted itself everytime I tried to use the web.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GPRS will not work in Korea and Japan. They have totally different wireless infrastructures in those countries. Also, India has very spotty coverage.
Actually, there are providers that support GPRS in both Korea and Japan.

If looking at the blackberry, stick with the smaller 7100T with predictive typing. It is a good unit, solid reception but only average battery life. The treos by comparison are clunky and bigger.

Quick Reply: Blackberry