Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Business-ish question

Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you thought about getting a credit card chargeback? just as annoying as bouncing checks.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Those that bounced checks on you. Turn them in to the DA. They have a special office that deals with people who bounce checks. You should really look into accepting CC. With today's economy, you could find really good rates. Just shop around. Costco offers it too now.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madkimchi,Sep 17 2010, 05:07 PM
have you thought about getting a credit card chargeback? just as annoying as bouncing checks.
If you are meticulous with statements, signed receipts, and filed invoices, you have nothing to fear from chargebacks.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:57 PM

How much on average are you losing due to bad checks as a % of your total check sales?
Will taking credit cards bring you new business?
Will the extra business you bring in accepting credit cards off set the 3% you'll lose on your existing customer base who decide to use credit instead of cash or check
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Sep 17 2010, 02:14 PM
Free buff jobs you say?

Maybe that was their plan

Actually.. the two clients to which this has happened with both were very upfront about it.. no bad experiences. Just mistakes on their part.

But still.. I don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm going to e-mail poll my clients and see what their take on it is.

Saki, I'm pretty set on going with square.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Malloric,Sep 17 2010, 07:57 PM
Are you losing more than 3% of your gross income from bounced checks?
Will taking credit cards bring you new business?
Will the extra business you bring in accepting credit cards off set the 3% you'll lose on your existing customer base who decide to use credit instead of cash or checks?
I'm going to charge my clients an extra 3% in order to use this service. if they don't want to pay the 3%, they can pay me cash. I feel that's fair.. the idea is to make it convenient for them, and convenience comes at a price (ever wonder why places to live in metropolitan epicenters are so expensive? )

Also, based on what I charge for my service that I offer (as my business) the C/C fee would range from about $5-30... and if you're spending that much, I feel the extra $30 for the convenience is worth it... if it's not to the client, they can pay cash.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to poll your clients? Just have it as an option for payment. All it can do is bring in more business, not lose it.

Think about it. All your losing is 2-4% of the transaction, for a transaction you probably wouldn't have had before.

I don't see how businesses operate without taking CC's in 2010.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Sep 17 2010, 08:03 PM
No need to poll your clients? Just have it as an option for payment. All it can do is bring in more business, not lose it.

Think about it. All your losing is 2-4% of the transaction, for a transaction you probably wouldn't have had before.

I don't see how businesses operate without taking CC's in 2010.
Since you know my business (not going to say it out loud to respect paying sponsors), I'm sure you can see how not accepting C/C's is not really a big deal (especially given my clientele)

And I will be charging them the fee, not me. If they don't want to pay the fee, they can pay cash. I feel that's fair.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Sep 17 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm going to charge my clients an extra 3% in order to use this service. if they don't want to pay the 3%, they can pay me cash. I feel that's fair.. the idea is to make it convenient for them, and convenience comes at a price (ever wonder why places to live in metropolitan epicenters are so expensive? )

Also, based on what I charge for my service that I offer (as my business) the C/C fee would range from about $5-30... and if you're spending that much, I feel the extra $30 for the convenience is worth it... if it's not to the client, they can pay cash.
This is illegal and they will pull your merchant license, an possibly bar you for life. You can raise your prices by 3% to offset costs across the board, but you cannot raise the prices for CC only.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=NFRs2000NYC,Sep 20 2010, 03:02 PM] This is illegal and they will pull your merchant license, an possibly bar you for life.

Quick Reply: Business-ish question