Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

the call of the wild

Old 12-24-2004, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the call of the wild

guys, I'm feeling the strong desire to get away from civilization and go experience some wilderness perspective. I'm leaning towards going on a multi-day hike in the King's Canyon wilderness, something along the lines of what this couple did.

I've never done an extended multi-day backcountry hike, but no worries, I'm a member of REI! nothing can stop me with my North Face jacket, no sir. in all seriousness, I'll probably go with some friends who have done some backcountry hikes, pick up a book, and work on my cardio for a few months to prepare myself. I'm wanting to go sometime this summer.

so has anybody else done any real backcountry hiking/camping? if so, where? and post pics! and definitely fill me in if you've been to the backcountry of Kings Canyon.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked in Hovenweep natl monument this summer...hiked everyday.

Most important thing: wear your boots daily for a long time before. Not just around the house but on long walks, anywhere basically.

If you dont and get blisters they will ruin your trip guranteed.

In addition duct tape is a good thing...I wrapped quite a bit around my nalgenes...no need to bring a bulky roll. You can use it for so many things but the main reason is for when you start to feel a hotspot on your foot, you put some duct tape over it and it will reduce friction on that spot.

thats what i can think of right now....and drink lots of water.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:11 PM

I was in boy scouts in high school... thats right... eagle scout nerd. Anyways I used to go backpacking 1-2 weekends a month for several years. I've actually been on three 5-6 day trips in Big South Fork National Park in Tennessee. All in all probably over 60-70 2-3 day trips. Also backpacked in the smoky mtns, Savage gulf state park, Appalachain trail, Cumberland Gap, many "bowwater" pocket wilderness sites, land between the lakes, Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock creek, Cherokee natl forest, Fall Creek falls, etc etc etc... Not to mention many trips to civil war sites... shiloh, chikamauga creek etc. Most of these are in Tennessee... though i've been in estes park in CO as well.

Do you have a water filter/how are you going to purify water? small first aid kit? what kind of tent? what kind of sleeping bag? what kind of backpack? topo maps of the area? can you read a topo map? do you have a compass and know how to use it, what kind of stove and fuel? what kind of boots? what kind of socks? can you start a fire (without an accelerant..ie gasoline)? Can you tie some simple knots i.e. square knot, 2 half hitches, sheet shank

You mentioned a multi day trip so i'm just trying to think of things you might want to think about taking or other questions.

Are you going to a place that requires a back country permit, do they permit fires, do you know the phrase "take nothing but pictures... leave nothing but footprints", do you know what a "bearbag" is and how to use it?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious but going on a multiday trip is a big affair. You may know all the stuff I mentioned above... though you may not. If I were you I would read the book "The Backpackers Bible"... and carefully. Another great resource... though it may seem dorky is the actual scouting handbook... great info about wilderness survival, knot tying, map reading, use of a compass, back country etiquette, fire starting (without a match or lighter), simple first aid, and some botany and entomology (too keep you away from harmful plants and bugs).

You simply cannot know enough before you take a trip back in the woods.... At least here in TN there have been trips where I've only seen 1-2 people on a 2-3 night trip, and mostly on the first day in or the last day out. There are places you can go and you are really alone... which is not only part of the beauty but also the danger.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:04 AM

thanks for the input guys.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm an amateur when it comes to backcountry camping, so I definitely would be bringing a friend as a hike leader who has a lot more experience with multi-day excursions as well as someone else who also has more experience than me, but probably hasn't done a hike as long as this. (basically my best friend's girlfriend as the hike leader, and of course my best friend).

I would probably pick up the book ccarnel recommended, and basically do a lot of pre-hike preparation; mentally, physically, etc. I'll be the first to acknowledge that those are some very high altitudes-- after having gone for just a morning run at Lake Tahoe some time ago... fully 4000ft lower than the places I'm wanting to go-- I can only imagine how debilitating it can be if we don't prepare well and get acclimatized.

this trip is probably too much to bite off for a new person such as myself, but I am completely captivated by the stark beauty of that place. not so captivated as to risk the lives of myself and my friends-- so postponing it until after we've done a few intermediate hikes first is an option-- but I'm also kind of hard-headed and adventure-prone, so who knows... we might just go for it.