Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

The chemicals between us.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The chemicals between us.

So.. I've been sort of seeing this lovely girl who is an exotic dancer, and.. as usual, I'm striving to make her life better. Shes a wonderfully talented girl, artistic (ive seen her paintings/phtography work), intelligent, beautiful... everything somebody could want.. but

One vice: she does E and cocaine a little bit more that she should. For those of you who don't know what E is, it's a psychoactive drug that releases seratonin in the brain, heightening the senses, emotions, and giving a phenominal feeling of euphoria. Cocaine.. well, who doesn't know what that is. Unfortunately, as seratonin is released in the brain, it becomes depleted, so, when the "e" high wears off, you come away feeling depressed. The problem is, as far as I am aware, it takes the body weeks, if not months to rebuild its supply of seratonin. I dont remember my organic chemistry very well, but, if i recall, Tryptophan is one of the important building blocks for the production of seratonin. I would have no issue getting hold of tryptophan (its legal in canada, and its just an amino acid).

I know breaking a drug addiction is difficult, but if dealt with both nutritionally and from a more standard approcah, I think I might be able to get her off of this stuff without a really bad withdrawl cycle. I've tried both drugs (with her) just to see what it was like, and have no plans of ever doing them again.

What to do, what to do. (please dont just be like 'drop her ass')
Old 01-05-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Brutha but it is not that easy.
I ama not going to go on a tirade, but she's in the "buisness" and drugs are a part of it. I've known a couple of girls that cocktailed at strip clubs then progressed to dancing. When they did, everything changed. X and Cack are sooooo prevalent its not even funny. Do what you will, but IMO you're fighting a loosing battle. Giving trytophan will do nothing to help the post X depression.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:28 AM

actually taking trytophan, or 5-htp if you live somewhere they dont sell tryptophan, DOES greatly decrease the come down/depression after doin E. it is most often taken before and after, and continued for a day or 2 after taking the e.

from seeing other people do drugs and some stop and some continue it seems to be mostly a personal decision. You can simply point out the very real dangers of continuing use, both physically/mentally/and legally.

If she hasnt been doing cocaine for very long then like everyone who does it will simply not believe the negative side effects. Usually after a few months of use the "honeymoon" phase as they call it will be over and more negative effects will be realized.

but yea...id just try to point out the negative physical and mental effects, the obvious monetary loss by continuing use (taking more and more as time progresses), and the potential legal problems if she was ever caught with it.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:39 AM

Got any data on that? regarding tryptophan and easing the X-let down. Show a randomized, placebo controlled trial...untill then, its vodoo.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:42 AM

Personally, I think this is a take-it-or-leave-it situation. The drugs are part of her lifestyle. You may think she uses more drugs than acceptable, but it's ultimately her personal choice. I smoke weed and use other drugs on occasion, and one of my greatest pet peeves is others telling me what I ought to do with my body. Obviously I don't know this girl, but just extrapolating from my own feelings, I don't think she'd like it if you try to get her to change her lifestyle. Whether justified or not, my guess is that she will think you're being self-righteous and forcing your own lifestyle upon her.

You can certainly try to change her habits, but if she resists, I don't think it'll do any good to force the issue. Also, how often does she use E and coke? And how much does she typically do at once? Keep in mind that there's a difference between enjoying something and using it a lot, versus addiction. Before forcing the issue, make sure this is actually an addiction you're addressing. Contrary to popular belief, E and coke can be used without getting addicted.

Anyway, good luck man. Hope it turns out well. If I had to sum up my thoughts concisely, I'd say to try to change her for the better, but don't push your beliefs upon her. Some people are okay with drugs and others aren't, but the bottom line is that you want her to change her lifestyle based on your own feelings, and that's a difficult task.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tenblade2001
Got any data on that? regarding tryptophan and easing the X-let down.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 AM

cyber-x.

actually more recent studies are showing coke may be physically addictive.

and there is no doubt to anyone who has done it or seen those who do that there is a definent mental urge to do it.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:08 AM

that said. I dont believe doing most drugs in moderation is bad thing.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by JustAyoungMC
cyber-x.
actually more recent studies are showing coke may be physically addictive.

and there is no doubt to anyone who has done it or seen those who do that there is a definent mental urge to do it.
I wholely agree that coke is addictive. That's what all the studies I've seen have indicated, and I believe them. But still, it's possible to use coke without becoming a coke addict. I was quite the "experimenter" in college, and have used coke on a number of occasions. When you're coming off of it, there are definitely cravings for more coke - same goes for other similar drugs, like methamphetamine, heroin, etc. But once that short period of acute craving ends, that's it, and you don't feel cravings the next day. Hell, I never even felt cravings hours later. It's all about getting past that short fiending period when you're coming off the drug. I'd imagine that if you keep taking coke and feeding the cravings, you'd get addicted pretty fast. But, most people I've used coke with, myself included, can resist that urge until the cravings subside.

At any rate, I don't use coke, speed, or any "hard" drugs anymore. In the long run, I just didn't find them to be all that fun. Coke gives a great sense of euphoria and contentness with life, but its effects are just too short for what it costs - not enough bang for the buck. I used it casually here and there for a few years, and then stopped with no ill effects. That's why I say you can use it without becoming an addict.

I also agree that most drugs can be used in moderation without causing too much harm. As with all other things in life, there are users and there are abusers.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JustAyoungMC

Quick Reply: The chemicals between us.