Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

CRAIGSLIST SCAM?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CRAIGSLIST SCAM?

Him:

Regarding your item you posted on CL, let me know if it is still available for sale

Me:

Yeah they are definitely still for sale!

Him:

I am excited that it is still up for grab and am ok with the asking price, but i will not be able to come and look at it, because am out of town right now. So the payment will be made through Certified Check. And you don’t have to worry about the shipment; because the item will be pickup by my private shipping company. I know there are lots of dirty pool online so therefore I would absolutely wait for the check to clear at your bank before we set up with the shipment plan. So if you are interested in selling this item to me, provide me the payee name and contact address, with your phone number, for me to mail the check.

Me:

Ok so i think i am totally fine with that i just need to confirm that i understand what you just said. so you will mail me a check, i will take it to my bank and wait for it to clear and then a shipping company will come to my house to pick them up? if that is the case then that sounds great.

Him:

Thanks for the address; the check will be mail as soon as possible, the check of a sum of $2000. You will deduct $400 for your 4 x 215/35/17 Blizzack and send the remaining money to the my shippers, for them to come for the pick up, but it’s because I still have about four goods that they will help me pickup instates with yours, that why the shipment fee was $1600.

I for mail them a check for the shipment fee, but the shippers only accept their payment through Western Union or Money Gram, i don't have that such amount here with me, that why I want you to help me with the shipment fee. So if you are willing to help me out, get back to me ASAP and proceed to delete the advert of the item.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In his email signiture he claims to be a marine but after a quick google search a marine of his name died 2 years ago
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You already answered your own question....
Old 07-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have to ask??
Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously?

Of course it's a scam.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 AM

I see the Nigerians have improved their tactics.
+ if it was his private shipping company they will bill him later for their services

I hope you have not provided your address.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Man, I swear the gene pool gets thinner every year

You didn't give them your address, did you?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by gregrocks,Jul 29 2010, 12:18 AM
Him:

Thanks for the address; the check will be mail as soon as possible,
Time to invest in some home defense.

May I recommend the closest thing to a light Saber
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_...ries-96-37.html
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
bcs

It's sounds like you gave them your address.

Contact your local A.G. and give them the information. You could try to contact the police as well, but they probably won't do anything until a crime has been committed.

Its doubtful that a check will actually show up, but if it does DO NOT CASH OR DEPOSIT IT. It will bounce and you will be held responsible and have to pay the fee. And they will probably end up with your account information.

Hopefully it'll all work out okay. Lesson learned. Next time, give them the address to your local FBI office or something and ask them to add a letter with the details so you'll remember it was them.

Quick Reply: CRAIGSLIST SCAM?