Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

credit card

Old 03-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default credit card

My girlfriend never had a credit card and I'm going to have her apply for one so she can start building her credit. Are there any banks that are more friendly to first timers. She has no credit, but she doesn't have any bad credit either.

thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

in the olden days anyone could get a credit card but the limit may be low at first until you get some history....

I think i had a Citibank back in college....

Just look for something with no annual fee and if possible some kind of reward program....

I currently get 1% back..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM

yeah much has probably changed since my first card too.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM

I have never had Capital One, but I have heard horror stories.

I would say Bank of America or Citi, I have been screwed over 1 too many times by Chase, I am done with them!

The other option is the AMEX blue, which you don't have to pay off every month, it accrues points or cash as well. AMEX definitely has the best rewards program, but not everywhere accepts the card due to the high fees they charge merchants.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I and many of my friends can relate Capital One horrors. They are absolutely hideous to deal with.

I would say try going through her personal bank or credit union.

I got a card through my bank with 1.9% fixed intro APR for 2 years and a points-type reward system (not great by any means) through my bank. After the intro, it's 10.59 (or was before the fed rate drops). Once my intro is over, since I've been making such good payments, I'm going to request a lower fixed APR.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BoA and Citi are friendly to first timers..
Old 03-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Agree w/personal bank, many have them and the headaches are much less than with the big boys. Also, try department store credit cards (JCP, Sears). They don't have annual fees, are easy to get, count toward your credit score and the temptation to rack up big bills are much less. Unless she's addicted to Craftsmen tools.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:29 PM

hm I have had a capital one card since I turned 18 and they have been the least difficult do deal with.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM

Capital One was my first card at 18. If you are good with your payments (I PIF every month) then they are good to you. HOWEVER, I would still advise against them in any case. Capital One's credit reporting scheme is the worst in the business. Say you have a $5000 limit and you've only ever spend $100/mo on the card. Capital One will report to the agencies that you're limit is $100 and that you've maxed it out every single month. This will lower your score. The only way to get around this is to spend over that $100 so that you've raised the bar on what they report as your limit. Basically, the most you've ever charged on the card is what they're gonna report your limit as. So basically if you want the agencies to see that your real limit is $5000, you're gonna have to actually charge a total of $5000 to your card at some point to raise it to that bar. Utter BS.

I now use Wamu/Providian and I'm very happy with them (good benefits and automatic CLI's). I haven't cancelled my Capital One card and have no intention to. The only reason I keep it around is for the age.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Project22a,Mar 15 2008, 08:42 PM
basically if you want the agencies to see that your real limit is $5000, you're gonna have to actually charge a total of $5000 to your card at some point to raise it to that bar. Utter BS.

Simply not true.

Quick Reply: credit card