Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

digital camera experts, help me choose a camera.

Old 04-29-2003, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm searching for a digicam right now,
after reading the sticky "what camera" thread in s2ki photo forum,
i'm more lost.

so i'm looking at nikon d100 right now.

but, do you guys suggest anything else, in the similar price range/ same slr camera class?

it's for semi professional photo/ magazine submissions/ portfolio photos, as well as
trivial everyday photos.

i do traditional photography works, but never worked with
digicams- please educate me.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon punks, help a brotha' out!
Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 PM

I have a D100 and I love it. It really depends though on what you want to do with it. At 3008 x 2000 pixels in NEF format you can get a good 8x10 at 300 dpi. (or a litttle larger at 240 dpi, although I would go too much lower for print work).

At around $1600, it's a great price point for the body. BUT, it's just a body AND your final image on any SLR will be affected by the glass you slap on the front of the body. Nikor lenes are fantastic optics, but a good lens will cost about as much as the body. What's your budget? I jumped in with $5000, and that was low when you consider a tripod, flash, bag, and GOOD GLASS.

As far as the workflow goes, nothing beats digital. But if you want large format prints, it will be a two step process with a few more varibles to get a good print above 8x10. (scanning a 8x10 to a large format printer).

This limitation is why you don't see any stock houses buying digital shots, the format is just too small for a lot of the print work that comes along to an ad agency.

Most of what I do is on the web, so no biggy, although it would be nice to be able to EASILY print a poster from a D100 NEF.

If you are going to shoot lots of NEFS (IMO don't waste your time on shooting JPEGS), get a firewire card reader (USB 2). I lasted about a week downloading 512 flash cards via USB 1, what a pain.

You should really do a search on this forum:

It's 95% D100 users.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1021
Old 04-30-2003, 12:57 PM

As ironwedge said, the final quality is going to depend heavily on the glass you put in front of the sensor. If you've already invested in Nikor lenses, stick with the brand. Personally I'm a Canon fan, so the EOS-10D would be my choice. Same class camera as the Nikon D100. DPReview is an excellent site, and has separate forums for all kinds of equipment/brands. Also, check out http://www.luminous-landscape.com/ for digital workflow and reviews.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:38 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

If you want one of the best non-professional digital cameras, I recommend the Sony DSC-717. It's about $750, but it has everything and takes great pictures. I researched cameras for a long time before deciding to spend a bit more. The features are just about unlimited.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about this model?
eos10d...
Old 05-01-2003, 12:14 PM

Didn't I say that? EOS-10D. 6mp, ultrasmooth CMOS sensor, simultaneous RAW+JPG, 3fps. The biggest improvement over last years' D60 is a better autofocus system. If you like post-shot digital work, the Canon RAW converter allows numerous options, and nice unsharpened data. Again, check out DPReview, they have an in-depth review of the 10D and many users on the Canon SLR forum.

This is the one I'd get if I were to get one *right now.*