Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Is a DLP tv right for me?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grandparents have a 61" DLP and viewing angle only suffers from above really...

i'm 6ft tall and if i am standing up a few feet away from the tv, yes, its dim. who the hell watches tv that close anyway? from below its not a concern
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 56" 1080p Samsung DLP...Its on for about 6 hours a day (little guy LOVES "Cars").

Still on the original bulb after 2 yrs. Fantastic picture, HD is jaw dropping.
If you have the space, which sounds like you do, you can't beat the bang for buck factor.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

I got a 57" DLP Mitsubishi Diamond and it's awesome. I got it about a year ago and have watched a few 1080p movies and one video game. The picture is incredible. Even 1080i on the HD channels and 480 for regular DVD viewing is very nice.

No issues with the bulbs, but I bought a 5 year warranty for $300 that includes unlimited bulb replacements and everything else under warranty. Cheap insurance for at least 5 years of TV watching.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 65in hitachi DLP and a 46 in LCD samsung Touch of color...brand new. while the DLP is a great tv and nothing to sneeze at, when it comes to Blu ray or HD channels in 1080p the LCD wins hands down. You also want to look at the HZ rates....

if price is a concern then DLP can't be beat, but most will suffer with the viewing angle.

i sit about 14ft from the 65in which seems to be perfect for gaming.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Aug 6 2008, 04:20 PM
LCD is the way to go if you want an inferior picture, as they cannot compare to the best plasmas. There is no questioning this, and no room to argue.
Go to a store that has both LCD and Plasma side by side. You'll change your mind.

Inferior picture quality is one of the reasons the Plasma is being discontinued. Once upon a time the Plasma outdid the LCD but that was years ago. LCDs have steadily improved whilst the Plasma has basically stood still.

Ohh and as to serious abuse.... LCDs in the same situation have NO burn in whatsoever.

All of the above make me say LCD all the way. And I have had both Plasma and LCD in my home at the same time. We always watched the LCD.

Never put a Plasma in a small room unless it winter and you don't have a heater. That's one time a Plasma shines, when you need a TV and a heater all in one!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, but you're mistaken. Going to look at TVs in store isn't an accurate measure of performance whatsoever. I am friends with several professional home theater installers who do ISF calibration, and have calibrated thousands of sets. Take the nicest calibrated LCD and try to stack it against the top tier calibrated plasmas and there will be no comparison. Inferior picture quality is not the reason, and anyone closely associated with the industry will agree. You would agree too if you had the chance to compare top sets anywhere other than best buy..
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM

So you're telling me that I can't determine the difference with the naked eye? Before you make such a rash statement go make the comparison yourself. There is a marked difference especially in the darker passages.

One of the better tests is facial details of black people. Plasmas give them smooth skin but with LCDs you can even see ingrown hairs in the beard area.

And yes it is one of the reasons plasma is being phased out, it can't match the detail of the LCD today and will get further behind with newer models.

One of the coolest things about any of the HDs is that now it has changed movies for me. Instead of wanting to be sure to see the latest whiz bang show in the theater I can't wait for it to come out on Blue Ray or even be broadcast on the satellite. The picture is better at home- sounds' not, but the picture is. That's something I would have never dreamed would happen.

My Sony has a Movie mode that cuts some of the detail down to Movie level. But with the regular mode they almost look real or 3D. It's like you were there in the filming.

That's one of the reasons I said be sure to get 1080 and not settle for 720, you will not be happy with 720 once you've been to a friend's house and seen what his movies look like. That will cost you so much more money in the long run as you'll trash your almost new set and buy another one that is 1080.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is you can't just walk into a store and try to compare them. The sets are different. Could be different manufacturers, different settings, different specs, etc. What you are not seeing is differences based on resolution, because it's impossible.. and I have the scientific proof to back it up. If the sets were identical in every way other than resolution, you would not see a difference. So the closest you're going to get is to look at two sets from the same model line.. for example, a Pioneer 5010 vs a Pioneer 5080.. one being 50" 1080p plasma, one being 50" 720p plasma. While they are not 100% identical other than resolution, it's pretty close.

And no, that's not the reason. people go into a store and they look at both technologies and say hey this looks bright and pretty.. well that ain't enough. When proper calibration is done, top plasmas > top lcds. I know a lot of plasmas look like crap in stores because they often don't come out of the box set up properly..
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides, many of the new DLP televisions now use LEDs instead of a projector bulb. They'll last longer, warm up faster, and run cooler.

If I were in a market right now for a large television, it would be DLP hands-down.
That's not true at all. Sounds like it should be, but it's not. Samsung was the only company that released LED DLP TV's as a test run. Slightly more expensive and the picture was a little brighter, but they didn't sell. I compared one to mine (mitsubishi 65" DLP) and all I could say is that the picture was just slightly brighter and a barely sharper imo; nothing significant. They eventually dropped the price and discontinued the product since they weren't moving. Mitsubishi did announce at E3 that they will be releasing laser DLP TV's at some point in the near future. From what I hear the picture quality is about the same, but the cost is far less.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 AM

So you are saying that I might as well buy the cheapest set on the market cause there ain't really any difference - BS!

Quick Reply: Is a DLP tv right for me?