Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Do these come up on a drug test?

Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do these come up on a drug test?

OK. I currently am taking Vicadin and Percocet do they come up on a drug test? And YES I have a prescription for them. I just had knee surgery about a month ago. I'm asking because i'm applying for jobs that require drug tests. But if they come up on a test I dont know what to do?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Banned

Why wouldn't you have thought of just telling your employers you had surgery, in case they came up?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:46 PM

I haven't had my interviews yet. Is it not a problem to just tell them that?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Banned

Why do you think it would be?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I asked the neighbor,

Depends on the test, but the percocets which contain acetaminophen and oxycodone can throw a postitive for the cocaine

Vicadin which contains Hydrocodone will have similar results if the right test is administered.

Is this a urine test?

On a side note, my neighbor was wondering why you are taking both drugs at the same time.

If you have a prescription for these drugs I don't see the issue, if the test does come back as positive for any illicit drugs your prescription can be called into play.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:08 PM

When you go in for your drug test take in the prescriptions for the medicines that you think might show up. If you are up front and just tell them I would think you would be fine.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:27 PM

If you are applying for a physical job, then the knee surgery may come in effect. However be up front with the use of prescription drugs and it wont be an issue.

I was taking Hydrocodine and failed a drug test at work because it came up with opiets. I showed them the prescription and all was good. I was told to just show the prescription first next time
Old 05-06-2004, 09:01 AM

AFAIK, due to HIPPA and ADA regulations, it is illegal for a drug testing company to ask you about prescriptions BEFORE you take a drug test. If you volunteer that you are taking prescription meds, the medical tech should be telling you that you do not need to disclose until after the test.

If the test comes back as positive or inconclusive for opiates, this will not be reported to your employer. It will be reported to the MRO (Medical Review Officer - aka. Head Doctor) of the organization who will then ask for an examination or a consult with you before reporting the results. If the meds have been legally prescribed, chances are you will be fine.

That's my textbook answer. Now my real-life answer.

If you are asked about scripts before your test, IMO, I'd answer truthfully instead of having a legal debate with the testing company.

I would, however, be cautious if you are taking the meds in a way that was not prescribed (ie: higher doses). I understand that is likely not your case....but, like I said, that is my real-life answer :-) Doctors understand that people take pain meds for surgery, dental work, etc.

Best of luck!
Old 05-06-2004, 09:40 AM

Thanks for your responses everyone. The reason i didn't know if I should just offer the information about me taking the pills (which is now very rarely) is because I thought they might think I was trying to use that as an excuse. As for the question about me taking both. I was prescribed both because one is 7.5mg of oxycodone, while one is 5mg of hydrocodone. I was told to take 1-2 oxy if the pain was severe or 1-2 hydro if the pain wasn't bad. As for the question about taking more than I should. I HATE these pills, they have one horrid side effect, just screws up your whole system, or mine atleast. So i definately would not be taking these If i didn't have too.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:48 AM

The title of this thread and the recent \"Ultimate Blonde Joke\" thread remind me of the following:

This blonde girl was so dumb that she studied for a drug test.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Quick Reply: Do these come up on a drug test?