Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

do you like or hate it when people call you "sir" or "Mr. XXXXX" ???

Old 12-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually I tell them "Calling me sir makes me nervous as the only time I hear it is when I get pulled over. Can you step out of the car sir? Do you have a permit to carry this weapon sir?" Unless it is a totally formal situation I tell them to call me by my first name.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:46 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

[dukes of hazzard] red necks. [/dukes of hazzard]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmc1971
Old 12-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer being called your highness.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:15 PM

I was in a bridge club in Livingston, NJ about 10 years ago and answered a woman at the table with, "Yes, ma'am."

"Don't say 'yes, ma'am' to me," she said, "It makes me feel old."

I told her that my daughter was seven years old and when she asked me a question, I answered her with, "Yes, ma'am".

On another occasion at that same club a gentleman asked me a question and I answered him, "Yes, sir."

Another gentleman asked why I was calling the first man "sir".

I told him that I didn't know the first man well enough not to call him "sir".

Assume that people are being polite, thank Got that they're not as rude as the average human being has become, and get on with it.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jmc1971
If you don't say "Sir" or "Ma'am" down here, then it's a sign that you weren't "raised right." (Or that you're a dang Yankee!)
Old 12-17-2003, 12:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

these are people at my work that i see every freaking day............. I agree that it is different if you just met the person.......

I do call my kids funny names...like "your magesty" and "your highness" but they know I am just pissing around......i think.....
Old 12-17-2003, 12:28 PM

Majesty.

I call my daughter "sweetykins".

When my students try to call me "Mr." or "Professor" or, worse, "Dr." (I haven't a PhD), I tell them that my name is Bill and that is what they should call me.

If the worst thing to befall you is for people at work to call you "Sir", thank God for all of your blessings, help out those less fortunate than you are (and call them "Sir" and "Ma'am" when you do) and forget about what people call you.

If you have more pressing, more serious problems than people calling you "Sir", concentrate on those and forget about what people call you.

If you cannot forget about what people call you, say to them, "Please don't call me 'Sir'; it makes me uncomfortable." If they stop, forget about it. If they continue, remind them. If they still continue, file an harassment complaint. If you're unwilling to file an harassment complaint, forget about what people call you.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 PM
Former Moderator

Depends on who is calling me sir or Mr. D*******. If you address me by my last name you better get it right. It has two pronounciations, the French one and an English one. Sometimes I look at it as a snotty remark by a clerk.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not when you are the Vice Principal at a high school.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Former Moderator

Depending on the situation, I prefer sir or Mr. xxxxx

Only if I know my shit though

Quick Reply: do you like or hate it when people call you "sir" or "Mr. XXXXX" ???