Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Exchange Server 5.5 Permissions???

Old 01-29-2002, 10:03 AM
S2K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exchange Server 5.5 Permissions???

Hopefully some one can help me with this...

I can't seem to figure this out, but the users are able to open other peoples mailbox through outlook. By going to file, open, other users mailbox. Where in the permissions did I go wrong? I don't want other people to be able to open my mail.

I'm running Exchange 5.5 sp4 on an NT4 sp6, the users are on outlook 97/outlook 2000 with all updates & patches. In the last couple of weeks some users have been able to go to "FileOpenopen other peoples folders" and open some other users inboxes. At the moment we have 11 users who can all get into each others mailboxes even though no permissions or delegate rights are set to allow them to, neither are they in the same DL's or Groups. I appreciate any help.
Old 01-29-2002, 11:15 AM

Its amazng how fast one forgets 5.5 when they don't see it for a couple of years...but are these users somehow members of the exchange service?
Old 01-29-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You'll have to play with the Security settings under Exchange Administrator some - it's not an Outlook delegate/permission/etc issue. Specifically, make sure that no users, or NT groups those users are members of, have Admin or Service Admin or whatever permissions. I don't remember if this is just on the Recipients container, or at the Site level as well. Check around for stuff that looks fishy and use your best judgement. Make sure to record what you've done so you can put it back if you mess something up. And be careful to not lock yourself out, either.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:20 PM

You need to nail down where the problem is first... You seem to be saying you eliminated the possibility that people are doing weird things with delegates or individual folder permissions in Outlook. So, I'm seeing at least four possibilties (sounds like you've got number 3):
  • Every user can see every user's inbox.
  • Some users can see every user's inbox.
  • Some users can see some user's inboxes.
  • All user's can see some user's inboxes.
Once you nail it down to one of these three, that should help you figure out for sure where the problem is and maybe even what is going on. Then, it's a matter of knowing the structure of your Exchange server and making sure you didn't give permissions at some level that cascaded down to your recipients container or something along those lines.

Good luck and let us know what you figure out.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:27 PM

Inbox permissions can also be set on the client end of Outlook.

1. From the Folder list, right click on Inbox.
2. Click on the permissions tab.
3. Make sure default is the only user on the permissions list and that none of the read items are check marked.

Ive seen some wierd things with outlook where permission changes wont go into affect until 1 hour later or until you start/stop the exchange service.

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2002, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iceman
[B]Inbox permissions can also be set on the client end of Outlook.