Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Fiancial/Life Advice?

Old 05-18-2016, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of good advice here! Appreciate all of it. Just finished out the FAFSA to see where I sit for financial aid and scholarships for college. I definitely don't want to go that far into student loan debt so it will make a big impact on my decision. I have definitely considered a trade also. Have a buddy who is a line man and makes a good 25+ an hour. Seems like things like that are a viable option.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 PM

Working retail sucks for the most part, I've been doing it the last 8 years. If you are low on the chain it is even worse getting kicked around for low-moderately decent pay at best (if low on the chain). Getting into corporate though would be much more ideal for retail than having to deal with the public every day face to face.
Get a degree, or move onto a manufacturing job maybe? I'd have gone with Boeing over what I currently do if I could go back in time.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:18 AM

The first thing I'm going to say is if I were a business owner or hiring manager or just a manager screening through applicant for a good direct report... you would already be on the top of my list.
You work 60-80 hours a week for extended periods of time? You want to grow yourself and your abilities? That says a lot about your work ethic and I think you would make a very valuable employee to almost any company.

Unfortunately, some of the most qualified people are screened out of some positions due to blanket prerequisites such as a 4-yr degree. I know people that would have made great production or operations managers (well into 6-figure jobs) but couldn't due to corporate requiring a 4-year degree.

I would definitely look into taking a bunch of your (VERIFIED TRANSFERABLE) core courses first, if you choose to go the route of higher education. Somewhere cheap, and local. Night school, online, whatever. I'm should be starting my MBA in the fall and it's labeled the "evening MBA program." Just note that the name and prestige of whatever accredited university you intend to get a degree in comes at a cost that in my opinion is NOT worth it. It's a complete scam.

If your heart is in it and you won't give up, don't feel bad about putting any money you're currently setting aside for "retirement" straight towards your education. If I were in your position I would cancel any retirement contributions and put that money straight into my education if you KNOW you're going to succeed, no matter what it takes. Since you'll (if you pick the right field) be making a lot more money with that education. It's an investment in your future.

The journey of higher education for pay is exponentially difficult to make the ends meet if you go into a field where the pay starts out only marginally higher than what you're making now. For example, if you go into chemistry you'll probably start around $15-18/hr on 12-hour shift work as a lab tech for a long while. That's just the job there, without a PhD. Take something like engineering on the other hand? You can start out making $30-40/hr on salary working 40-hr. And that level of education only costs a little more. Yes, it's more difficult, but if it were me I'd rather cry myself to sleep on a regular basis from the math being too hard (which I did sometimes... lol) than crying myself to sleep because I can't pay my student loans back, because I'm only making a little more than I was.

Best of luck man. I think you've got what it takes.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 AM

That's good advice from JKelley. Get your education, and you'll make so much more money that you can start saving for retirement later and still be fine.

It worked for me, and I didn't get my degree and start making real money until I was almost 35.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the construction industry as a project engineer and I would highly recommend looking into the industry and apply for an apprenticeship through a trade - there is going to be a SEVERE lack of trades people in the coming decade. If you're ever on a construction project, take a look at the workers, there are too many old guys and not enough young guys to replace them.

There is also ample opportunity for growth and development. For example, I work for a general contractor and the majority of the subcontractor PM's that I have talked to have progressed to their position by working in the field first. Also, the union pays you to learn and then once you've maturated then you can either go to the union hall or open up your own business.

And as pay goes, it's hard to beat it if you like working with your hands. Union Carpenters make $55+, Electricians $75+, Plumbers $80+, and crane operators make $150+.

A lot of the guys only work for 10 months and spend the other 2 months hunting. Why? Because they'll always be demand when they get back into the halls. There will always be a market for a smart, hard-working trades person.

Call your local union and see what their requirements are for an apprenticeship, in some areas it's actually quite difficult to get in.

Also read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey!!
Old 05-20-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomery1234
Lots of good advice here! Appreciate all of it. Just finished out the FAFSA to see where I sit for financial aid and scholarships for college. I definitely don't want to go that far into student loan debt so it will make a big impact on my decision. I have definitely considered a trade also. Have a buddy who is a line man and makes a good 25+ an hour. Seems like things like that are a viable option.
Dont sell yourself short. 25 an hour is okay, but is that something you want to make a career doing? Think about your future, your retirement, and look long term. Would you rather be stuck in a dead end job making 25 an hour, or in a career making 50 an hour with growth potential?
Old 05-20-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Dont sell yourself short. 25 an hour is okay, but is that something you want to make a career doing? Think about your future, your retirement, and look long term. Would you rather be stuck in a dead end job making 25 an hour, or in a career making 50 an hour with growth potential?
I don't agree with this guy^ about much. . . except what he just posted.

You need a weekend locked away to think about this, seriously.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lineman make 44/h in my area, will be 50/h in 4 years time. Every location is different though, you got state subsidies, strong work unions, cost of living, storm duty If your friend just started, I'm sure it is near the area I mentioned above.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:26 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The sweet spot is a Bachelor's degree in a high demand occupation. I am on our hiring committee and we don't hire anyone without a masters degree and I could train a chimp to do the job. The reason is it is not the highest demand field so we can get the masters degree person without putting in the extra salary.

If you have a degree in computers (don't do online course, go to a reputable school) or chemical engineering or whatever that is highly paid, you can make more with a bachelor's than you can with a masters in most other fields. Lots of master's degrees are not worth as much as they used to be because there are so many. When you get one, you also give up a couple extra years of earning and gain a couple more years of school loans so the buying the added earnings can kind of be a wash.

But you still have to try to like what you do for the next 35 years. Most people I know can't stand their job, or tolerate their job, but they make lots of cash. It is rare to get highly paid highly rewarding. But go for it. My job eats poo, but it pays me more than what I need to have a nice life, retirement, travel, hobbies and so forth. I get my rewarding part outside of the office.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1463748164' post='23972002
I don't agree with this guy^ about much. . . except what he just posted.

You need a weekend locked away to think about this, seriously.
Well Im finally glad you're coming to see the light

Quick Reply: Fiancial/Life Advice?