Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Free Stuff! Spread the joy!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Stuff! Spread the joy!

I'm on a recording forum, and a gracious guy by the name of RawBeanZen had this idea to give things away, things he didn't need, and his generosity turned into an incredible thread of people just sharing, sometimes items, sometimes services. It's pretty amazing to watch it unfold, and it inspired me to do the same thing here.

The thread is here... http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gea...s-do-again.html

Lets face it, especially with us old guys, it's about the community, it hasn't been about the car for a while, times are getting tough, why not help a brotha out?

Some rules were established a couple hundred posts into the thread, and I think they are fitting.

1) If you gift someone, congratulate that person by user name on this thread so we can all see who won. How the winner is determined is entirely up to you: It could be the first responder, the person with the most compelling story, the coolest avatar (), whatever. If you don't want people who have previously won things on this thread to participate, state that clearly.

2) If you've been notified that you're the recipient of a gift, please come back onto this thread in a short period of time and offer something up. The whole point is to keep the giving in motion.

3) Keep it balanced. Don't let the number of things you've won exceed the number of things you've gifted to others. This is important.

I get that with a car site it's a little different, not everyone has exhausts laying around ( other then stock of course )

So if it's not car related, don't let that stop you, if you have something you don't need that someone else may, big or small, gift it out!

I'll start..( and that doesn't mean others can't jump in right away too )

I have a set of rear trim panels ( the ones behind the seats ) If you're looking to put rear speakers in, and want to have a set of panels to play with. I'll also throw in a HyperRev mag that's kicking around

First person to PM me gets it..
Old 01-06-2009, 03:37 PM

I would PM you, but I have an extra set of those myself. Also, how would the shipping work on this? I'm assuming the recipient would pay for shipping?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Former Moderator

It's up to the person gifting if they would like shipping charges, in my case I'll cover it, otherwise you should state that shipping would be extra.

I'll have to look around my basement for other stuff
Old 01-06-2009, 04:00 PM

I'll play!! ...I may have an extra set of brand new seat locks I purchase from Kodokan_4. I'll need to look for it.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 PM

Me me!! I want those seat locks! I'll give something else in return!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Former Moderator

J'sBlackAP1 gets the panels..

I'll ship them out before the end of the week.

See? this is fun! let's keep it going!!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by u8myrice' date='Jan 6 2009, 06:19 PM
Me me!! I want those seat locks! I'll give something else in return!
let me look for them tonight. will let you know in the morning.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gifted to breakneckS2k

Great idea, and thank you for spreading this over here. A similar concept is freecycle.com which is essentially a place dedicated to giving unused stuff away for free.

I have a 5-point G-Force latch style harness sitting around collecting dust. It was used for one track weekend then removed, it looks brand new and still has lots of life left. I'll ask that the recipient chip in $5 towards shipping, otherwise the harness is free. First person to PM their reasonable use for the harness gets it

Edit: A suggestion: After your gift has been given, put a note in your gift advertisement post noting that it is no longer available.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Very cool idea.

Not sure what all I have around here, but I'll play once I get a chance to inventory what I can pass along. I'll rummage the garage this weekend.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM
mlc

Awesome idea!! Let me take a look around. I know this is a car forum but I am sure I have A LOT of stuff that I would rather give away to someone here then trash.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Free Stuff! Spread the joy!