Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Help - Bahamas Trip - where to stay, etc..

Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Help - Bahamas Trip - where to stay, etc..

I want to take my kids (14 and 16) to the Bahama's for a quick 5-6 night trip in about 2 weeks.

Where to stay that is close to cool stuff, but is reasonable $. I know reasonable $ means a fair amount, but i don't mind paying if i am somewhere good.

I keep seeing the Atlantis commercials, but there are too many Atlantis hotels for me to figure out where to stay.

HELP.

thanks
Scot
Old 02-03-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I'll be going to the Bahamas in April.

I've been there before about 2 years ago and stayed at Club Land'or which is about the only thing not owned by Atlantis on Paradise Island. Though it's not the most up to date place, it's a pretty decent place with really good burgers at the pool bar and they do events such as bingo and welcome party and stuff like that which is fun. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than Atlantis, but when you stay at Atlantis, you get a whole bunch of extras, such as private beaches, pools, a huge water park, access to the aquarium and more.

If you have any specific questions, let me know, and I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to the Bahamas, Nassau in particular. Stayed at the Hilton right in the heart of the market.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roflcopter,Feb 3 2011, 06:23 AM
I'll be going to the Bahamas in April.

I've been there before about 2 years ago and stayed at Club Land'or which is about the only thing not owned by Atlantis on Paradise Island. Though it's not the most up to date place, it's a pretty decent place with really good burgers at the pool bar and they do events such as bingo and welcome party and stuff like that which is fun. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than Atlantis, but when you stay at Atlantis, you get a whole bunch of extras, such as private beaches, pools, a huge water park, access to the aquarium and more.

If you have any specific questions, let me know, and I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge.
You can go into the Aquarium and do a lot of stuff even if you don't stay at Atlantis... The water park is for Atlantis customers only as well as a small portion of the beaches. When I was there, there were also a couple "parties" and BBQs that were for Atlantis customers only.

IMO, the best beaches there are free... The beaches right infront of the Atlantis were overpacked.

When I was there, we were on a cruise, got there, got a taxi to take us over the bridge... We asked him to take us to the Atlantis, then he asked if we were going to the beach there. We told him yes, and he told us that the Atlantis' beaches were way too crowded, He took us to a "secret beach" that was about a mile away from the Atlantis, it was just a little trail off of the road into the "jungle"... we walked a few hundred yards on the trail and then to an open beach that had next to no one on it... a quarter mile towards the Atlantis, there was a group of locals that were renting out Jet Skis and SeeDoos for $20/hr. We hung out there for a bit, then walked down the beach towards the Atlantis... The Atlantis beaches were super crowded...

Personally, unless I was there to try to pick up chicks, I wouldn't hang out at the Atlantis beaches... I would just ask a taxi driver where the "local" or "good" beaches are and have him take you there...
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator

I've been to Nassau and Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama. I much prefered Grand bahama.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ubetit,Feb 3 2011, 08:55 AM
I've been to Nassau and Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama. I much prefered Grand bahama.
x2...

I've been to the Bahamas while at "port" on a cruise I took last year. Nassau - at least where I was, seemed dirty and congested. Very touristy (if thats even a word). We also went to Freeport which was much nicer in my opinion. Beaches were amazing.

I saw the Atlantis resort on a boat tour that we took. Looked absolutely amazing - but I didn't go on their property unfortunately.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by YoZUpZ,Feb 3 2011, 11:51 AM
You can go into the Aquarium and do a lot of stuff even if you don't stay at Atlantis... The water park is for Atlantis customers only as well as a small portion of the beaches. When I was there, there were also a couple "parties" and BBQs that were for Atlantis customers only.
If you try to walk towards the aquarium from inside of the hotel, they ask you for your room card. You can sneak in around the back though, but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 00vsmcoupe,Feb 3 2011, 02:59 PM
x2...

I've been to the Bahamas while at "port" on a cruise I took last year. Nassau - at least where I was, seemed dirty and congested. Very touristy (if thats even a word). We also went to Freeport which was much nicer in my opinion. Beaches were amazing.

I saw the Atlantis resort on a boat tour that we took. Looked absolutely amazing - but I didn't go on their property unfortunately.
Haha...Sounds like the Carnival Cruise out of Baltimore I took last April.

OP, I echo the statements of the others above. Atlantis is nice but pricey, offers a lot, but crowded. Also went to a secluded public beach in Nassau one day which was enjoyable. Golf was just ok...I've played on better public courses around PA that were nicer.

My neighbors (no kids) stayed at the Atlantis on my suggestion. They're going back again this spring...they had nothing bad to say about their experience at all.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not take a cruise?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i am with my kids and we just want to go relax somewhere that i don't have to take taxi's all over the place....i don't want to go drinking or clubbing.....

sounds like atlantis is a tourist trap but...... a good tourist trap...???

Quick Reply: Help - Bahamas Trip - where to stay, etc..