Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Help a kid out, come on!?

Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a kid out, come on!?

Hey there, this is Jorg's little Nephew using his SN again, Im sure you've heard a TON about me :icon14: But I am soon to need a future.

Im 15 and in trouble, I got some horrid grades last semester, and It looks like college is out of the question unless I can make the classes up in time (not looking good). I have always had a great interest in cars and mechanics and would love to have a career having to do with that kind of thing. Id love to sell cars, repair cars, whatever. I am looking to join the Military or get into an automotive job as soon as possible with a School like UTI or Wyotech (leaning towards UTI).

All the representatives that I have seen about the military have told me different things.

If I join the NAVY or Air Force, do they pay FULLY for a college, as in, all tuition?
Will they pay for a Trade School like UTI or Wyotech?

Will I be attending a school after the military, or during, or what?

Does anyone here have experience with a Trade school? How about after or during military life?

What should I do to get on the track to have an automotive career?

I thank you for any help that you can give me. Thanks for reading!
Old 03-13-2005, 05:50 AM

you're only 15. do yourself a TREMENDOUS favor and straighten the f*ck out, take school MUCH more seriously, get into the best college you can (work hard to so you can get some good scholarships if possible), and get a degree.

do as I suggest so that way one day you'll get to OWN and DRIVE the badass cars you're interested in, rather than just fixing the cool cars that other "lucky" f*ckers take in for you to just repair. I put "lucky" in quotes because it ain't luck-- it's hard work. and the sooner you start turning yourself around and getting on the right track, the better off you'll be.

good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 AM

Sell cars and change jobs weekly and bemoan the fact you can't afford the cars you're selling and pray you don't have a few weeks of really bad weather when no one wants to come out to shop for cars because you're going to get really hungry. Unless you have your own shop, you'll be even lower on the food chain as a mechanic. Making it isn't easy with a college degree. Without one, it's near impossible. Do the math: minimum wage times 40 times 4 times .75 for your monthly take home pay. Now check your local housing costs and subtract that. That's how much you have left for food, car, insurance, utilities, savings and fun.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:28 AM

However, the Military offfers training, payment for shcool and such...
And all the money you make goes straight into your pocket, housing, electricity, water, whatever, is all payed for...

Isnt it akward going into college when you're 21?
I think it would be...

How about some input from Military personnel?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i just turned 16. trust me, you should be able to make up any classes if you even half try.

seriously stop hanging out with friends all the time and do some homework instead of copying someone the period before. don't just bullshit a test. study for it. at least 10-15 minutes. what's it going to do to you? oh no, sad to say your friends won't care that much if you're 10 to 15 minutes late to their party or starbucks. if they do care and start cussing at you, tell them to shove it since they are not friend material.

don't just look at a D or an F and don't care. look back at what you got wrong and learn from your mistakes. going to college is worth it man.

going to college at 21 is not at all awkward. i see people at age 40-50 just getting back into college. it's that useful.

suck it up. be a man. try to get into college.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:43 PM

thanks all, you've really helped me so far.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:33 PM

Guys, why be so hard on this kid. He's one less competition towards college acceptance, he's one less competition towards the job market later. We need mechanics, if everyone in the USA had degree's we'd have a harder time competiting against one another. What if this kid can be a badass mechanic later? Not everyone is motivated to go to college to get a degree. If he was, he wouldn't have posted his early failure in highschool (although highschool was a breeze even with my lack of effort). I say if a kid wants to be a mechanic let him, if he wants to pick up trash let em be, if he wants to ask you "Would you like to supersize it". Let em'.

What tritium_pie said is the best way to let this kid know the dose of reality.

To help the kid out if he does decide to change, he has 2 good years left assuming 15 years (freshman/sophomore). Take summer school on the courses you have messed up. If you decide to venture onto the automotive industry, try internship at dealerships and learn the ropes of being GM of Honda Dealership, stuff like that. Doing this and writing good college essays/applications will put you on the right track of a future.

It's never too late, but if you already doubting your future at 15, then you have a lot of growing up to do.

I'm 22, and have 1 1/2 years left of pharmacy school. I changed 3 majors in college until i was HAPPY. That's possibility with you when you find out being a mechanic is hard labor for shitty pay.

-Trung
Old 03-13-2005, 06:50 PM

anything is possible, keep your head up kid
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Im doubting my future kuz the counselors tell me that I have none. The school only stresses the importance of a 4 year, making everything else seem like a horrible failure at life. Also, I cant get into any major public colleges with a D, and it doesnt look like I will be able to make them all up.

THATS why I am asking for help, no amount of telling me to straighten up is gonna help. I can get straight As from now on, but still wont be elligible for CA Colleges except for community stuff.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by axxizzer,Mar 13 2005, 10:28 PM
but still wont be elligible for CA Colleges except for community stuff.
you can always transfer from community college after 2 years and get into a decent college, it ain't over yet, dude. you are still very young. it's all up to you and how badly you want to turn things around. but just know that you can't go back in time to change things later.

Quick Reply: Help a kid out, come on!?