Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Honda Jet - water, land, and soon..air - Honda Jet

Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Jet - water, land, and soon..air - Honda Jet

for sometime Honda has claimed it to be only a design exercise........I don't think it's an exercise anymore

cool video.
note how the engines are mounted. no other manufacturer has done this

http://world.honda.com/jet/
Old 09-14-2005, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's pretty cool. i want one.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:39 AM

nice same here
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Banned

sorry, that's been around for quite awhile. As for engines mounted on pylons, other makers do that too, but not to the same extent. It appears it is done here as the wing is mounted below the fuselage, so they needed to raise the engines quite a bit to maintain reasonable flight characteristics. They could have mounted them to the fuselage instead of the wing, but I'd guess that transmits quite a bit of noise into the cabin. That particular design feature looks like a kludge (an ungainly appendage addressing a design flaw).

Most large commercial jets mount the engines on the wings, but the wings are located higher on the fuselage, so they have no need of the extra long pylons, which add weight and drag. I'd think a better design would be to mount the wing higher on the body if you are going to insist on putting the engines on it, to eliminate the excessive pylons, but I'm no fanboi.

I'm sure the reason the wing is where it is is to allow for a structural member that traverses wingtip to wingtip in a straight line, to increase wing rigidity. Nothing wrong with that, but obviously some airplane manufacturers have the technology to put a wing wherever they want without sacrificing said rigidity. I'm guessing this design is either purely an exercise, or aimed at the corporate client, where cabin comfort is a higher priority than fuel economy.

I'm sure it flies fine, but I don't know why you would design something like that given a clean sheet of paper, unless you had a few engineering limitations (such as ensuring wing rigidity without running a spar through the cabin, and a desire to mount the engine on the wing).

BTW, IANAAE.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 AM

That's nice and all, but what does it redline at?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,Sep 14 2005, 12:35 PM
sorry, that's been around for quite awhile. As for engines mounted on pylons, other makers do that too, but not to the same extent. It appears it is done here as the wing is mounted below the fuselage, so they needed to raise the engines quite a bit to maintain reasonable flight characteristics. They could have mounted them to the fuselage instead of the wing, but I'd guess that transmits quite a bit of noise into the cabin. That particular design feature looks like a kludge (an ungainly appendage addressing a design flaw).

Most large commercial jets mount the engines on the wings, but the wings are located higher on the fuselage, so they have no need of the extra long pylons, which add weight and drag. I'd think a better design would be to mount the wing higher on the body if you are going to insist on putting the engines on it, to eliminate the excessive pylons, but I'm no fanboi.

I'm sure the reason the wing is where it is is to allow for a structural member that traverses wingtip to wingtip in a straight line, to increase wing rigidity. Nothing wrong with that, but obviously some airplane manufacturers have the technology to put a wing wherever they want without sacrificing said rigidity. I'm guessing this design is either purely an exercise, or aimed at the corporate client, where cabin comfort is a higher priority than fuel economy.

I'm sure it flies fine, but I don't know why you would design something like that given a clean sheet of paper, unless you had a few engineering limitations (such as ensuring wing rigidity without running a spar through the cabin, and a desire to mount the engine on the wing).

BTW, IANAAE.
yes the airplanes been around for a few years. the point was that it has always been touted as a design exercise. Now, Honda has gone to the trouble of an ad like this. makes me think they are getting more serious about bringing more than just the engines to market.

and no......no other manufacturer is mounting engines on pylons above the wing
yes....the design is aimed at the corporate jet market

it was done for (1) aerodynamic as well as (2) interior volume/(3) noise reasons

1. better laminar flow over the fuselage and less disruption of the air as it makes its way to the rear control surfaces.

2. wider more spacious cabin for the size/class

3. reduce transmission of noise and vibration into the cabin

Honda may just stick with engine manufacturing for aviation, but Toyota is coming for certain. Unless the US general aviation manufacturers get serious about modern design offerings and manufacturing techniques, most are going to be caught in the crosshairs....IMO
Old 09-14-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronlong71,Sep 14 2005, 10:11 AM
Unless the US general aviation manufacturers get serious about modern design offerings and manufacturing techniques, most are going to be caught in the crosshairs....IMO
You're right. . . Eclipse Aviation is just sitting on their thumbs.

Honda Aviation fanbois. . . already. . .
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

^^^ Yeah, the Cirrus CF/composite construction is really 1950s and all :/

Give it a rest. Once again, Honda tests the water after everyone else has been swimming for years and years, yet the fanbois talk as if Honda invented the pool. Please.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:54 PM

I bet it had a engine start button
Old 09-14-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and no......no other manufacturer is mounting engines on pylons above the wing
Yes ... they have. The AN-72/74 come to mind and I am sure if I thought about it for a while I would come up with at least a few others.

The Coanda effect and it's interaction with engine placement dates back to 1930.

I can't fathom why you believe this is original -- but I would imagine it probably is to you. Just remember, we have been flying for over a hundred years. There is very little out there that has not been done once or twice over.

Quick Reply: Honda Jet - water, land, and soon..air - Honda Jet