Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

How do I get a Job at a CAR DEALERSHIP?

Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I get a Job at a CAR DEALERSHIP?

So How would I go about getting a job at a higher end car dealership. Should I just walk up to the place (well dressed of course) and ask to speak with a manager. Or do they post their jobs on websites? I'm 20 so I'm not looking to run the place. But I would like to simply wash cars or move cars around or something like that. Nothing major, I just want to work around Cars Right now.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:41 PM

You could just go in and ask.

Alot of the times, they do advertise on employment search sites.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:23 PM

This is my route in progress:
-I enlisted in the Navy as a diesel mechanic for 5 years and attended various schools while enlisted. I fixed everything from small generators to linkbelt cranes all around the world and never set foot on a boat!. Honorably discharged 19DEC05.

-Attended a tech school for 13 months to learn more on automotive. Graduated with a 3.9 GPA. Uncle Sam paid for that school (MGIB).

-Passed 4 ASE exams in engine performance, electrical, brakes and air conditioning. I got certified 2-3 months before graduating.

I went to interview and im in the process of getting hired by BMW. Im working out a sponsership so I can attend the STEP program.

If you want to work n high end dealerships make sure you have a CLEAN driving record especially if you want to move cars around. Prepare a good resume what will represent yourself and how you can benefit the company you want to work for. Also YES you can walk in the dealership and ask to see the service manager. Many of my classmates have done so and have been hired by dealers such as Lexus, Cadillac and Benz.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:32 PM

^^ u don't necessarily have to have a great driving record. mine sucks and i work for a high end dealership. sometimes its all about who u know. trust me on this.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dealer65,Mar 7 2007, 08:32 PM
^^ u don't necessarily have to have a great driving record. mine sucks and i work for a high end dealership. sometimes its all about who u know. trust me on this.
I definitly agree that sometimes or almost always depends on who you know. But if you dont know anyone... Everything helps. My best friend tutored her classmate through college. Her classmate how has a 6 figure job a couple years out of getting her degree.. All because her parents knew people.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:29 PM

im at wyotech right now and am in the same boat you are.

all you can do is get your name out there and be productive with who you talk/send your resume to.

a good riving record does help a lot. this is i was not accepted into the STEP program.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 02yellowstook,Mar 7 2007, 09:29 PM
a good riving record does help a lot. this is i was not accepted into the STEP program.
Dahmm that sucks dude. Can you take some driving courses in your town that will reduce points?? You can also try to get hired by BMW first and let them send you to the STEP program. From what im experiencing in the past few weeks.. If i were to be accepted to STEP program on my own and without a job at BMW already that I would have to relocate from NYC to MD for the 7 month course and provide my own housing and etc living expenses. I couldnt handle that so I chose to go out and get hired first. And this way the dealer can send me to the facility closest to me which is in Montvale NJ. Another benefit is that theres new program where you work for 2 weeks and go to school for 2 weeks so you can have some income and re-enforce what you learn in the dealership.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM

learn how to lie your ass off and not give a crap about the customer.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

most dealerships now because of high turn over rates will do a background check on every new hire. it could affect getting hired or not, but a great referral to a job or of course knowing "someone" always helps
Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 AM

Well, get most of the time moving cars around the lot are done by salesmen, and the car washing other than new car prep, is outsourced. You may can get a job working in the new car prep area, where they wash, dry, and detail every new car sold. If you are trying to be a salesman then just walk in and ask, if they aren't hiring give them an application. Next try out a lower end dealership to see if you would even like it. I sold cars for Chryler, Jeep, Dodge and hated it. They flooded the sales floor with salespeople, and it was a feast or famine environment, stab your friends in the back while your shaking their hands.

Quick Reply: How do I get a Job at a CAR DEALERSHIP?