Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

How to get a job out of the country

Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get a job out of the country

I'm just curious as to the whole process. Say I wanted to get a job in England, what would be the best way to do that? Is there a website I should go to? Would I talk to someone in HR (even though my company doesn't have facilities there)? Should I look for a company that does have jobs there and hope to get transferred?

I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon, I'd just like to know if its hard or not. Anyone on here that has done this?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 AM

If you want a job in India, I heard Dell is hiring. Or if computers are not for you, Nike pays upwards of $2/day.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 AM

Quite frankly, the easiest way (still not THAT easy) is to go there for a period of time to pursue things. Treat it is a business trip and line up as many meetings as possible, and have an itinerary lined up for what you want to accomplish in terms of the job search while you're there.

I wouldn't go for less than 2-3 weeks personally, as there may be a need for follow-up interviews, internal approvals before releasing an offer to you, etc. By allocating that much time you would potentially be able to come home with a signed job offer in hand and could then move yourself back to start in your new job.

Some countries commonly utilize recruiters to source people from other countries so you could have success that way. To find a reputable company in this field I would call up some of the big name companies in the region and ask them who THEY use or recommend. Otherwise you might find yourself in a sticky spot with a shady recruitment firm who is just after your money. Most countries don't regulate recruitment and staffing companies so many charge fees to the individual looking for the job, as well as the company that hires them. This even happens in some cases in North America, though it is heavily frowned upon.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost moved to London a few years back to work for Barclays bank. Although, the only reason I considered doing it was because I/my family knew someone pretty high up in the bank so getting the job would have been pretty easy.

Sorry, I guess that post doesnt help at all.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM

get in an industry and/or company that has international presence

ours (oil & gas) move people around pretty much all the time. almost anywhere in the world
Old 09-03-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Sep 3 2008, 07:04 AM
Quite frankly, the easiest way (still not THAT easy) is to go there for a period of time to pursue things. Treat it is a business trip and line up as many meetings as possible, and have an itinerary lined up for what you want to accomplish in terms of the job search while you're there.
Try not to drink with the women next to you on the plane
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM

The first step would be learning to do something that someone in another country will pay you to do. For most people that's the hardest step.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can I get a job in the country? I swear someone must have slipped a curse word in my resume somewhere.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by skibum,Sep 3 2008, 12:50 PM
Try not to drink with the women next to you on the plane
Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by gosixers215,Sep 3 2008, 03:17 PM
How can I get a job in the country? I swear someone must have slipped a curse word in my resume somewhere.
You have to not suck at what you do Just kidding.

I've seen some resumes posted on job boards like Monster that were planted there to discredit people. There were a couple hillarious ones that I wish I had saved. I was breezing through one once because it had some applicable terms for the search I was conducting, and noticed his previous career as an International Theif. It described his James Bond-style tactics and stuff.

Another one included Exotic Dancer (person was looking for a job in Procurement) - I think that was a real one, another resume I found included some very detailed information about a man's love and tender emotions towards Madras curry.

Quick Reply: How to get a job out of the country