Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

How much money (%) would it take

Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much money (%) would it take

Just thought I'd open this up for your thoughts.

You find out about a job opening that could potentially net you a huge raise over what you're making now... assuming cost of living and benefits and such are more or less the same... what % would it take to get you to uproot and go somewhere else? Would it depend mostly on how far /where you'd be moving to?

--

my situation: I've been tossed the idea of moving to two different cities, neither with any actual hard job offer but the option to pursue with my contacts. Both have the potential to get me a bit more money... like 20-30%.. debating if i want to look into either of them or ignore it and stay where i am. i like my job a lot, so it'd be a 'just for the money' job switch... plus a move...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In March I moved across the country. I got a 10% raise, and better benefits. Cost of living is probably 10% less at the new location. I was and still am single, so the decision was easier for me.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Not enough of a raise. I'd hold out for something similar closer by - assuming you like where you live okay.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

not me mang... just purchased a lare house and have too many friends and family to move.

Work IMHO is nothing to move your life around, these days you could uproot your family move to another city and 6 months later yo uare low man on the totem pole and you are let go, then where are you?

I just had to let one of my people go who have been with the company for 25 years, he's done a great job but we had to cut heads. Business these days do have not respect for the people who work for them.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The money raise would depend on where I'm moving to. There are certain areas of the country I do not want to live in for various reasons. I'd have to get a 50%+ raise to even consider some areas.

I'm not going to name them because I don't want this to turn into a flame war regarding various areas of the country.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:31 AM

It would take a 40-50% raise and I'll move where ever...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Meh, it took a 55% raise to get me to switch jobs less than 10 miles apart a couple years back... In this economy? I'm not sure...

Lets just say that the new job blew up in my mother****ing face... Luckily I was able to quickly source a new (3rd) job @ the same rate as the 2nd, but I digress...

If you're happy where you are and have advancement opportunities, stay put. I would be extremely careful and calculated in the current market.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo,Nov 30 2009, 04:31 PM
The money raise would depend on where I'm moving to. There are certain areas of the country I do not want to live in for various reasons. I'd have to get a 50%+ raise to even consider some areas.

However, i would also have to take into consideration if you own a house, amount of friends and family at your current location. In my case (lots of friends and family), i would only move for a 40% raise plus relocation costs.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it in Hawaii?
Or a mountain town near a ski resort?
Is it AT a ski resort?

A little 10% raise just isn't enough to leave behind friends/family and deal with either the hassle of moving or the uncertainly of not actually getting the new job or having it suck. (Assuming you don't totally hate your current job/location.)

Only for a cool location/job would I seriously consider moving - and depending on the particulars I'd even take a pay cut.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wifey makes 70% of what I do and the house, family etc.
It would have to be about 150% on top of the current salary/bonus to make it worthwhile.
Guess I am stuck in DFW a while

Quick Reply: How much money (%) would it take