Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I want a DOG!

Old 09-25-2001, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a puppy, I can't stress the importance of crate training enough! To anyone who is unfamiliar with crate training, it might seem a little cruel at first, but think of it as letting your dog have his own room. There will be resistance to it at first, but after a while, when your dog is tired, stressed, or feeling a little insecure, you'll find that he goes into the crate on his own! After the TWO teething cycles (yep, there are two, the early one and the one later at about 10 mos), you might feel comfortable leaving your dog alone at home with the crate open if your dog isn't prone to tearing things up when he gets bored.

When I finally broke the crate down and put it in the garage, my dog looked lost; he walked over to where the crate had been quizzically, and then he laid down there on the floor, looking sad!

That said, I reiterate what others have said: you're in for peeing, pooping, chewing, stains, etc at least until your puppy is 2. Again, I recommend finding a breed rescue for your breed and adopting! Nothing like having the dirty work already done for you!
Old 09-25-2001, 04:51 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like Sondra's way of thinking but if you still want a puppy visit the dog shows in your area. Talk to the people who are showing (not when they're showing or grooming) and tell them what you're looking for. If you want a nice pet quality puppy and agree to have it fixed some will sell you a very nice dog or bitch cheap. Some will even give you the puppy. There are also plenty of opportunities to co-own VERY nice show dogs.

I'm also a big fan of both crate and obedience training. Just like kids, dogs need to go to school also.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrkim019
[B]I'm in the Bay Area.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sondra S2K
[B]If you get a puppy, I can't stress the importance of crate training enough!
Old 09-25-2001, 05:31 PM

But all i gotta say is....man...those cute little puppy eyes...

i can't resist getting a puppy. I want one so bad.
Anybody in the BAY AREA recommend any labrador breeders or can refer me to someone that can?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check into that rescue organization... sometimes they get puppies too!
Old 09-25-2001, 06:24 PM

Cool. Thanks for your help guys. Time to get a COMPANION!

Old 09-25-2001, 06:56 PM

Get a Chocolate Lab...there the BEST!! I must have been one lucky S.O.B because when I got my puppy (who is now 4 yrs old) he only had ONE ACCIDENT in the house! Somehow, my little pups knew to go to the door and scratch it or bark at you to let him go outside!

I agree with Sondra on the crate training. I did that and it works out the best. It may seem cruel at first but they eventually treat it as there "den". A good trick when there puppies is to place a ticking clock inside the crate. They think it's a heartbeat and allows them to sleep easier.

If you get a male pure-breed DON'T SNIP HIM. The vets will pressure you into it by using the typical cancer scare tactics. By sniping your dog, you reduce the "male" characteristics of the breed (size, weight, muscular tone). Leave him intact

Give me a PM if you have any Q's ...
Old 09-25-2001, 06:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kadeshpa
[B]
If you get a male pure-breed DON'T SNIP HIM.
Old 09-25-2001, 07:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by taylor01
[B]

We "snipped" ours and I am not sure that I wouldn't recommend it.

Quick Reply: I want a DOG!