Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

If you make 100K or more

Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default If you make 100K or more

I was curious how many of you who make 100K or more per year and are happy with your job. Would you quit if you found a job you liked but at a lower pay? I know the current job market is tough for some and that you should be grateful for having a job. My college prof once said "a job is a part time life". I don't think I could do it unless it's to go into business for myself. Because I know the grass is always greener as they say and the next job may be just as bad.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

I took a huge cut in pay when I first started my busines. (See my sig.) I now make much more than when I worked for the man. It was one of the smartest things I've ever done. I work harder and am much, much happier.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
bcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife does and she loves her career (SQL DBA). Now, that's not to say that she actually likes her place of employment. Actually, she is starting at a new place next week.

I am getting closer to getting up there, but I need some more years in experience with software dev before I get there.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by bcs,May 26 2010, 12:55 PM
My wife does and she loves her career (SQL DBA). Now, that's not to say that she actually likes her place of employment. Actually, she is starting at a new place next week.

I am getting closer to getting up there, but I need some more years in experience with software dev before I get there.
do me a favor and ask your wife what the best way would be to clear out 60 million records without overflowing the transaction log.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I am not quite at a hundred and HATE my job lots of the time, but there is a six month period where I get to use up about 9 weeks of paid vacation and makes for a great summer. Makes it hard to look elswhere and my expertise is limited to a certain niche.

My wife makes well over the 100k point but her job kicks ass so she has no desire to look elsewhere. She likes the work, they treat her well, she is home most of the year by 2-3 in the afternoon.

Me personally, I would work for $60-70k if I could find a rewarding job and my wife was happy to pick up some of the expense burden from my lost income. But there is the rub.............

If I could do anything it would be to work for FEMA or the Red Cross or some relief organization where I had to get on a plane, go to a disaster area and just help people with whatever............. Fill sand bags, hand out food, swing a hammer. I don't care. But FEMA does not employ that kind of thing around here (closest is Chicago) and I don't think the private relief organization have that many paid positions and if they do, pay that much.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
bcs

Originally Posted by thebig33tuna,May 26 2010, 11:18 AM
do me a favor and ask your wife what the best way would be to clear out 60 million records without overflowing the transaction log.
All she could really say was 'truncate table'.

Doesn't really mean anything to me. haha.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I love part of my job but I am not as enamored with certain other parts.
medicare reimbursement have gone down since the hey days of medicine and some older docs are complaining but I have always said that I'd do the surgeries for free b/c that part of the job is so enjoyable. The other parts not so much but that comes with the territory...
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,May 26 2010, 10:26 AM
I am not quite at a hundred and HATE my job lots of the time, but there is a six month period where I get to use up about 9 weeks of paid vacation and makes for a great summer. Makes it hard to look elswhere and my expertise is limited to a certain niche.

My wife makes well over the 100k point but her job kicks ass so she has no desire to look elsewhere. She likes the work, they treat her well, she is home most of the year by 2-3 in the afternoon.

Me personally, I would work for $60-70k if I could find a rewarding job and my wife was happy to pick up some of the expense burden from my lost income. But there is the rub.............

If I could do anything it would be to work for FIMA or the Red Cross or some relief organization where I had to get on a plane, go to a disaster area and just help people with whatever............. Fill sand bags, hand out food, swing a hammer. I don't care. But FIMA does not employ that kind of thing around here (closest is Chicago) and I don't think the private relief organization have that many paid positions and if they do, pay that much.
why dont you just ask your wife's company for a job?
also, it's FEMA.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM

someone very wise ( or drunk ) told me something i'll always remember: there is so much money out there; go after what you love and the money will follow.

basically, if you pursue what you like, you should excel in it much greater and faster, and the money will follow.

i took a $20k pay cut and turned down a promotion ( even more $$$ ) to work where i am now. i love it...and after 9 months i got 70% of that pay back and already talks of working on up quickly. it was hard for those months at the reduced income, but i feel my quality of life was just overall better WANTING to go into work everyday. i absolutely hated my last job although it was a very respectable position...it just wasn't for me. still, leaving was one of the best choices i made.

my girlfriend still doesn't understand it...but then again, she is just graduating college. i had a similar mindset to just "grind it out" for as much money as possible when i was in college. after 2 1/2 years of "grinding" i changed my opinion.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by bcs,May 26 2010, 01:32 PM
All she could really say was 'truncate table'.

Doesn't really mean anything to me. haha.

lol that's what i'm leaning towards... as you saw in back lot.

Quick Reply: If you make 100K or more